oneBoro Forum

Boro v Birmingham 2-0 (Assombalonga (2) )

I rate Fletcher's potential really highly but he just isn't up to our level at the moment. In this formation we have a glut of strikers - Assombalonga, Bamford, Gestede and Fletcher - so I wouldn't be too dissappointed to let him leave on loan for a lower Champiinship club. To spend £7 million on our 4th best striker - therefore sitting on the bench a lot, while we are clearly short on creativity at LW, is terrible business by Monk. Monk will surely prefer to move on a stiker who wasn't a big money signing of his, like Bamford or Gestede, and not Fletcher as he wants to make it seem like he knows what he is doing. I think fans can see that our squad is poorly balanced at the moment, and it's clear that Monk should have spent that £7 million Fletcher money on a creative player who would be better than what we have. We could easily sell a striker and a CM without us particularly missing them. Hopefully we can rejig things in January.

What do you base this potential on? I've seen nothing to suggest he has potential. Is it because he's got the same background as Rashford?

• Replies 247
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I rate Fletcher's potential really highly but he just isn't up to our level at the moment. In this formation we have a glut of strikers - Assombalonga, Bamford, Gestede and Fletcher - so I wouldn't be too dissappointed to let him leave on loan for a lower Champiinship club. To spend £7 million on our 4th best striker - therefore sitting on the bench a lot, while we are clearly short on creativity at LW, is terrible business by Monk. Monk will surely prefer to move on a stiker who wasn't a big money signing of his, like Bamford or Gestede, and not Fletcher as he wants to make it seem like he knows what he is doing. I think fans can see that our squad is poorly balanced at the moment, and it's clear that Monk should have spent that £7 million Fletcher money on a creative player who would be better than what we have. We could easily sell a striker and a CM without us particularly missing them. Hopefully we can rejig things in January.

What do you base this potential on? I've seen nothing to suggest he has potential. Is it because he's got the same background as Rashford?

I’ve seen enough to say he has potential He’s quick direct and has a trick. He’s still young let’s not write him off just yet

I think that goes without saying. I asked what it was that he's seen because i've seen nothing noteworthy.

I can’t answer for him but I think he quick, can beat a man, has a good eye for his teammates and gets into decent positions. It hasn’t helped him that when he has come on most of the times we have used him as someone to just punt the ball up to. Something Bamford and britt has also suffered under. We should only do that with Gestede.

It has zero to do with the Rashford comparison. Young Englsih strikers with his height, strength and mobility are in short supply so he has a great foundation to build upon. He needs to learn how to use his physical presence far more effectively. I'd compare him far more towards someone like Benik Afobe. Since he has signed for us I've seen very little to get excited about to be honest. He needs to play first team football at a lower Championship level if he's going to develop. He has largely been played out of position and come on when we're sat back hanging onto a result so he's getting hopeless long balls played up towards him so he has struggled to get on the ball with time and options around him. I'm by no means his biggest fan based on his current ability as he isn't impacting the team to the level a big money signing should but I see potential there. It was a naive signing by Monk.

I’ve seen enough to say he has potential He’s quick direct and has a trick. He’s still young let’s not write him off just yet

I haven't seen a trick in him, I think he has the physical attributes but I haven't saw much else.