• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not nor have I ever said sack Monk. Saying I'm surprised he's still in a job is not the same thing. :rolleyes:

I don't really see how Monk COULD have been sacked already? We're currently 7th in the league. It's not an unmitigated disaster.

I appreciate it's not top two, and I appreciate that we're not SMASHING the league. However, by all accounts there was something of a serious mess behind the scenes to sort out when he came in.

I'm not saying that he's doing an amazing job..... but being objective; if he was sacked when we're 7th in the league I reckon it would look pretty harsh to most people outside the club.

Southgate was sacked when 3rd or was it even 2nd in the leauge?

We were 4th (on goal difference).

However, it's not really comparing like for like. We'd got worse for three seasons under GS. Garry Monk on the other hand has come in to a club that was in some sort of turmoil.... the extent of which none of us really know.

Despite that, it probably seemed harsh to some people that GS was sacked when we were in 4th place.

On a separate note.... I'm not really sure what Braithwaite was thinking with that pass yesterday that lead to the penalty.

Also.... I wish we hadn't sold Albert Adomah.

Cheers.

I have not nor have I ever said sack Monk. Saying I'm surprised he's still in a job is not the same thing. :rolleyes:

I don't really see how Monk COULD have been sacked already? We're currently 7th in the league. It's not an unmitigated disaster.

I appreciate it's not top two, and I appreciate that we're not SMASHING the league. However, by all accounts there was something of a serious mess behind the scenes to sort out when he came in.

I'm not saying that he's doing an amazing job..... but being objective; if he was sacked when we're 7th in the league I reckon it would look pretty harsh to most people outside the club.

Depends what your aims are, if you are happy with 7th and a playoff push then great.

If the goal is automatic promotion (which I assume it was) then we are massively underperforming. 2nd place is almost gone now and we're not even halfway through the season. If our record against the top half continues the playoffs will probably be looking pretty unlikely by xmas as well.

If we need promotion this season for financial or footballing reasons, then we are getting to the point where Monk is under serious pressure. If we can afford to give him a few seasons in the hope he might get it right then fair enough let's see how it goes if that's what you want.

One other thing I don't give a stuff what anyone from outside the club thinks about us potentially sacking Monk. The media outsiders don't watch us every week.

This idea that the club was in turmoil in the summer, where has this come from? It wasn't talked about until recently, it just feels like the latest excuse for Monk.

Give over mate. [sorry, that was a bit harsh]. I wasn't even having a go at Karanka.... you don't need to jump on it, to try and "defend" him.

You've got to be kidding if you think everything was rosy behind the scenes at MFC last season?

This idea that the club was in turmoil in the summer, where has this come from? It wasn't talked about until recently, it just feels like the latest excuse for Monk.

Give over mate. You get boring. I wasn't even having a go at Karanka.... you don't need to jump on it, to try and "defend" him.

You've got your head in the sand if you think everything was rosy behind the scenes at MFC last season.

I didnt mention Karanka, he left in March! You're obsessed with him.

We're talking about the summer aren't we? And how is it still affecting him now?

Like I said, I probably wouldn't sack him. But we have to be completely honest about what we've seen so far. It's not just the league position and the points difference from our aim though if we were in the top 2 (or even close to them) at what is very nearly the mid-way point of the season, we could overlook anything else.

In the final pre-season game, I remember finding it difficult to get my head around the tactical approach but I sort of found it out through analysing what I'd seen. We had a 4-3-3/4-1-2-1-2, something like that. Friend and Christie would bomb forward to provide the width. Clayton would tuck in as a third centre-back alongside Gibson and Ayala. Going forward, it was more like a 3-4-3, with Friend and Christie essentially playing alongside Howson and De Roon in midfield to help provide the ball to the front 3 of Braithwaite, Assombalonga and Bamford. Braithwaite was playing a free role, moving all over the place and Bamford and Assombalonga were also floating round a bit further up. The front 3 was fluid, the whole point of our tactic was to keep people guessing, movement was at the very heart of everything we did going forward.

Now, I thought that approach was going to by dynamite in this division. Everyone but perhaps Howson and De Roon clicked that day. Sort the central midfield out and we're alright. What happened to that tactic? As soon as Braithwaite got injured, it almost instantly disappeared. Gestede tried to play that instead but whilst I thought he was doing alright, he's not anywhere near the same player as Braithwaite. So why, now Braithwaite is fit and in the team again, have we not touched that since? Nobody knows but the manager.

The thing that's bothered me a bit as a fan of this team this season is that, whilst being fully supportive of the manager, I've not been able to nail down what his tactics are. People go on about best players, best formation... but what is his philosophy? I don't get it. I look at the squad like many other fans and I see options, ways of playing that could be successful. But I don't understand the big picture of what Monk is putting onto the pitch. That says to me either the tactics are beyond my comprehension or maybe I'm looking too hard and ultimately seeing the simple ineffective game that we actually are playing. I'm not a complete idiot so I find it difficult to believe it's the former, though I may be wrong.

Basically, I'm sat here thinking of how excellent we looked in that Augsburg game, I thought we looked every bit title challengers with a few tweaks and better performances here and there. And whilst it took me a while to understand the way we played that day, I've not come close to understanding what we're trying to do any more. If I could ask Monk any question at all right now with a guaranteed honest answer, I'd ask him what he's grown to understand about this team since that game and why he thinks going back to that set-up would ultimately be a failure.

Give over mate. You get boring. I wasn't even having a go at Karanka.... you don't need to jump on it, to try and "defend" him.

You've got your head in the sand if you think everything was rosy behind the scenes at MFC last season.

We're talking about the summer aren't we? And how is it still affecting him now?

Apologies mate. My response to you was a bit harsh. I did edit it, but you obviously saw it before I had. Sorry.

I'm not obsessed with AK at all. But in the past you've even admitted that you feel like you have to defend AK on here.... whereas oftentimes I don't think you do.

Anyway... as such, I misunderstood your post, and assumed that you were doing the same again.

You are actually right, that probably by the start of the summer quite a bit of the turmoil had already been sorted out. I think that things were in a complete mess at the end of last season.... but yes, accept that during the summer, and having offloaded lots of players and staff, things should have been turned around.

I guess my original point of mentioning 'turmoil' at all wasn't as an excuse for Monk, but I was just stating that he was beginning from a slightly unknown starting point.

You are also probably right that it actually shouldn't be affecting Monk's ability by now.

Like I said, I probably wouldn't sack him. But we have to be completely honest about what we've seen so far. It's not just the league position and the points difference from our aim though if we were in the top 2 (or even close to them) at what is very nearly the mid-way point of the season, we could overlook anything else.

In the final pre-season game, I remember finding it difficult to get my head around the tactical approach but I sort of found it out through analysing what I'd seen. We had a 4-3-3/4-1-2-1-2, something like that. Friend and Christie would bomb forward to provide the width. Clayton would tuck in as a third centre-back alongside Gibson and Ayala. Going forward, it was more like a 3-4-3, with Friend and Christie essentially playing alongside Howson and De Roon in midfield to help provide the ball to the front 3 of Braithwaite, Assombalonga and Bamford. Braithwaite was playing a free role, moving all over the place and Bamford and Assombalonga were also floating round a bit further up. The front 3 was fluid, the whole point of our tactic was to keep people guessing, movement was at the very heart of everything we did going forward.

Now, I thought that approach was going to by dynamite in this division. Everyone but perhaps Howson and De Roon clicked that day. Sort the central midfield out and we're alright. What happened to that tactic? As soon as Braithwaite got injured, it almost instantly disappeared. Gestede tried to play that instead but whilst I thought he was doing alright, he's not anywhere near the same player as Braithwaite. So why, now Braithwaite is fit and in the team again, have we not touched that since? Nobody knows but the manager.

The thing that's bothered me a bit as a fan of this team this season is that, whilst being fully supportive of the manager, I've not been able to nail down what his tactics are. People go on about best players, best formation... but what is his philosophy? I don't get it. I look at the squad like many other fans and I see options, ways of playing that could be successful. But I don't understand the big picture of what Monk is putting onto the pitch. That says to me either the tactics are beyond my comprehension or maybe I'm looking too hard and ultimately seeing the simple ineffective game that we actually are playing. I'm not a complete idiot so I find it difficult to believe it's the former, though I may be wrong.

Basically, I'm sat here thinking of how excellent we looked in that Augsburg game, I thought we looked every bit title challengers with a few tweaks and better performances here and there. And whilst it took me a while to understand the way we played that day, I've not come close to understanding what we're trying to do any more. If I could ask Monk any question at all right now with a guaranteed honest answer, I'd ask him what he's grown to understand about this team since that game and why he thinks going back to that set-up would ultimately be a failure.

Yes I also wonder why we havent played that formation again, I think the Augsburg game has been our best game under Monk

Good post that mate. I can't fault it..... but equally I can't answer your questions!

I guess we've been pretty underwhelming this season, and I did expect us to be doing better.

However, with that in mind, and the fact that we don't seem to have performed to our potential, I guess I'm also quite happy that we're still in 7th place.

PS. I'm going to the Bristol City match next Saturday, and I've got a nasty feeling that we could get battered. I hope I'm wrong!

Apologies mate. My response to you was a bit harsh. I did edit it, but you obviously saw it before I had. Sorry.

I'm not obsessed with AK at all. But in the past you've even admitted that you feel like you have to defend AK on here.... whereas oftentimes I don't think you do.

Anyway... as such, I misunderstood your post, and assumed that you were doing the same again.

You are actually right, that probably by the start of the summer quite a bit of the turmoil had already been sorted out. I think that things were in a complete mess at the end of last season.... but yes, accept that during the summer, and having offloaded lots of players and staff, things should have been turned around.

I guess my original point of mentioning 'turmoil' at all wasn't as an excuse for Monk, but I was just stating that he was beginning from a slightly unknown starting point.

You are also probably right that it actually shouldn't be affecting Monk's ability by now.

No worries! Just forget the Karanka thing. :)

Onto Monk... I've just started seeing it being pointed out recently that Monk had taken over a broken dressing room. It seems strange to start talking about it now and I wondered whether it's a tactic in some quarters to allow him more time to get things to 'gel'.

I obviously disagree as I think he's had enough time to put that right.

Good luck going to Bristol next week! I'm not very confident going there, they've got the best goalscoring record from set pieces and I don't know how we are going to cope with Flint, especially without Ayala (unless we can Gestede ready).

I’m surprised people don’t give enough credit to how hard it is to come down and hit the ground running

I've often mentioned how Monk says a lot about how he had to pick us up from being down in the dumps from relegation. It's obviously something worth considering, players are human beings after all, they're not robots. But we are almost mid-season, Monk had a full pre-season with them and if that's the reason they keep making mistakes, he's not made much progress with them. Not trying to put a timeline on that by any means but if they are still suffering the relegation blues, part of his job isn't being fulfilled.