oneBoro Forum

I’m surprised people don’t give enough credit to how hard it is to come down and hit the ground running

Preseason, three internationals, new players and halfway through the season. If people are looking for excuses, this is not one.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the point many are trying to make is that of course players should receive portion of the blame for individual errors, but the fact we're making so many individual errors indicates a much deeper underlying frailty which it's probably fair to attribute to the coaching staff.

I’m surprised people don’t give enough credit to how hard it is to come down and hit the ground running

Preseason, three internationals, new players and halfway through the season. If people are looking for excuses, this is not one.

I agree with both these points.

The manager has got to carry the can for poor results but we've gifted some of these teams goals, Ayala's daft pass against Wolves, Gibbo's penalty against Forest, Traore's stupid bloody challenge against Cardiff, and Saturday's comedy of horrors was beyond belief, Monk can coach all he likes but you can't coach against gross negligence.

We're 7th but not playing well and that's definitely down to the manager and his coaching staff, but for Gibson to get rid of Monk while just outside the play offs goes against the grain, its not going to happen anytime soon.

Does anyone think Braithwaite should be dropped he has been quiet in the last two games.

I'm not sure. At his best he's probably the best player in our squad in an attacking sense. But he has been pretty anonymous in the last 2 games. If we're going to continue pushing him so high up the pitch as I felt we did against Derby (I might be wrong), I'd bring in Gestede and drop Braithwaite to the bench.

Does anyone think Braithwaite should be dropped he has been quiet in the last two games.

Possibly, could he be a bit jaded after going from a relatively not as competitive league, to getting injured and then playing 2 games a week??

If he did get dropped I’d like to see bamford given a start in the no10/second striker position. Thought he’s looked decent At the start of the season and when he came on against Birmingham.

The manager has got to carry the can for poor results but we've gifted some of these teams goals, Ayala's daft pass against Wolves, Gibbo's penalty against Forest, Traore's stupid bloody challenge against Cardiff, and Saturday's comedy of horrors was beyond belief, Monk can coach all he likes but you can't coach against gross negligence.

We're 7th but not playing well and that's definitely down to the manager and his coaching staff, but for Gibson to get rid of Monk while just outside the play offs goes against the grain, its not going to happen anytime soon.

I don't agree with that. As a manager there are ways and means of mitigating risk.

Ayala vs Wolves . Away from home. Instruct your defenders to play direct balls in to the channels.

Gibson vs Forest. Have better control of the game. we shouldn't have been in that position to start.

Traore vs Cardiff. Leave him up the pitch rather than have him in the box. Cardiff would've pulled two men back to deal with him.

No but i'd move him from the centre because he's been nothing but ineffective their recently. Braithwaite left. Bamford behind Britt.

We're 7th but not playing well and that's definitely down to the manager and his coaching staff, but for Gibson to get rid of Monk while just outside the play offs goes against the grain, its not going to  happen anytime soon.

I don't agree with that. As a manager there are ways and means of mitigating risk.

Ayala vs Wolves . Away from home. Instruct your defenders to play direct balls in to the channels.

Gibson vs Forest. Have better control of the game. we shouldn't have been in that position to start.

Traore vs Cardiff. Leave him up the pitch rather than have him in the box. Cardiff would've pulled two men back to deal with him.

Ayala's and Gibson are now seasoned pro's not a pair of teenage novices, the best CB partnership in the championship 2 years ago they ***ed up and that's not the managers fault and so did Traore, it was poor  decision making from the players simple as that.

Monk isn't personally responsible for every single player error however he is at fault for the team not being as solid throughout the season as a whole.

Listen to or go and read a book about how George Graham used to drill the back 4 at ***nal, he used to coach them like they were a bunch of 10 year olds. It isn't rocket science but it takes a manager who knows how to organise a defence plus hard work on the training ground and lots of repetition.

Arrigo Sacchi one of the best ever club managers at AC Milan used to make the team play full sessions without a ball, this was so the defence could work on positioning and shape. They broke all records for keeping clean sheets and goals conceded.

It isn't a coincidence that certain managers can tighten up a defence pretty quickly, I've used the Karanka and Venables examples on here where they seemed to stop the individual mistakes almost immediately.