oneBoro Forum

Our off the ball positioning is woeful, imo. We're putting a lot of pressure on the two centre halves because quite often our full backs are so high up the pitch that when we lose the ball, we have no one covering and it leaves enormous gaps. The defenders should be doing better in those individual moments I agree, however, the way Monk has up set up means that there is no margin for error at all and we are continually being punished.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It's strange as an ex CB that Monk doesn't drill his team to be more defensively tight. You would think that would be the first thing on his mind.

Mowbray was a centre back and he can't get his teams defending properly either. I'm not saying Monk isn't trying but some managers are clearly better at it than others.

No he tell's Cahill not to play across the box and get the ball into midfield as soon as possible. Reiterating you point doesn't make it correct.

I've seen the goals often enough, your taught at school not to play the ball across your box so if you've played at any school boy level you'll know that. Sunday league players don't need to be taught it. Can't see the  point in discussing this anymore chalk and cheese.

Our off the ball positioning is woeful, imo. We're putting a lot of pressure on the two centre halves because quite often our full backs are so high up the pitch that when we lose the ball, we have no one covering and it leaves enormous gaps. The defenders should be doing better in those individual moments I agree, however, the way Monk has up set up means that there is no margin for error at all and we are continually being punished.

Pretty much exactly what happened on Saturday for the first goal. Weimann only needs to collect the ball and Gibson is by the corner flag. Fabio is ball-watching, Clayton loses Vydra and they're in.

Exactly right and that's what cost us the first goal on Saturday.

No he tell's Cahill not to play across the box and get the ball into midfield as soon as possible. Reiterating you point doesn't make it correct.

I've seen the goals often enough, your taught at school not to play the ball across your box so if you've played at any school boy level you'll know that. Sunday league players don't need to be taught it. Can't see the  point in discussing this anymore chalk and cheese.

With all due respect this isn't school football, defenders switch the ball across the back line dozens of times every game. Just watch during the next game, there was nowt wrong with what Ayala tried against Wolves it was a 10 yard pass that most of us on here could complete. He just made a mess of it.

With all due respect this isn't school football, defenders switch the ball  across the back line dozens of times every game. Just watch during the next game, there was nowt wrong with what Ayala tried against Wolves it was a 10 yard pass that most of us on here could complete. He just made a mess of it.

As you say Ayala made a mess of it so it was a costly mistake, the point I'm trying to make is you can't blame the coach for an individual error, Humpty disagrees with that, as he states in his above post.

I think the point many are trying to make is that of course players should receive portion of the blame for individual errors, but the fact we're making so many individual errors indicates a much deeper underlying frailty which it's probably fair to attribute to the coaching staff.

I’m surprised people don’t give enough credit to how hard it is to come down and hit the ground running

Preseason, three internationals, new players and halfway through the season. If people are looking for excuses, this is not one.

I agree with both these points.

Me too...wholeheartedly.

I've said for some time that I can't see any evidence that the coaching staff are actually doing anything with the players, given the lack of noticeable improvement. Not just defensively but going forward too. Too often we seem to be reliant on individuals making something happen by themselves, rather than cohesive team play.

With all due respect this isn't school football, defenders switch the ball  across the back line dozens of times every game. Just watch during the next game, there was nowt wrong with what Ayala tried against Wolves it was a 10 yard pass that most of us on here could complete. He just made a mess of it.

As you say Ayala made a mess of it so it was a costly mistake, the point I'm trying to make is you can't blame the coach for an individual error, Humpty disagrees with that, as he states in his above post.

Thought it was quite interesting on Saturday when Monk brought Traore on. We had a corner and he was instructed to go back and defend in the box. You might have thought a coach would learn from his mistakes...

Thought it was quite interesting on Saturday when Monk brought Traore on. We had a corner and he was instructed to go back and defend in the box. You might have thought a coach would learn from his mistakes...

I noticed that too. Traore doesn't have the discipline for tackling, I thought it was pretty stupid. I also don't know why he didn't take Ayala off. Could see that red coming before half-time.

I have to say I'm a little surprised to wake up and hear Monk is still in a job. Losing 3-0 at home in the way that we did against the kind of opposition where results are ultimately going to decide where we finish, completely of our own making in a game where Derby barely created a single chance for themselves... I thought even Steve Gibson would get an itchy trigger finger.

It sounds like for many people who saw the game, the first half was enough to keep him going. I didn't even think the first half was that good. I do wonder what could have been had Carson not made that superb save before their goal but overall I still think we were too slow in the build up and ultimately predictable. We couldn't play through the middle so the ball went wide. If that was wide on the left, it led to *** all as our left hand side is embarrassingly poor. Johnson did not look a confident man until about 30 minutes into the game when he suddenly decided to run at their defence. As many others have picked up on, Braithwaite was utterly anonymous and was playing so high up the pitch he was no longer an option through the middle for the midfield duo. He wasn't picking up the gaps in between the Derby midfield. They had such a good shape we needed him to be much more mobile to give us an option through the middle and he just didn't do it.

Based on your first paragraph, are you surprised to see Rafa Benitez in a job this morning? Losing 3-0 at home against opposition such as Watford?

Considering that Newcastle have had a pretty decent start in the Premier league for a newly promoted team, exceeding expectations with an inferior squad that on ability probably ranks in the bottom 3 in the league, and having to work under serious financial constraints, I'd say Benitez is overachieving. Comparing us to them just isn't a good analogy to draw as the situations are vastly different. You have to look at things objectively before drawing rash comparisons like that.

Wasn't drawing rash comparisons at all about us and Newcastle.

I interpreted Wilsons first paragraph as that he was surprised to see Monk was still in a job despite us losing 3-0 at home yesterday.

I was just pointing out that a 3-0 loss alone doesn't warrant a sacking of a manager, in context of other poor results it might obviously.

Correct Jimmy, and laughable is that wilsoncgp backed his comment up regarding the manager with a reference to Fabio. Blame the bloody players not the manager as it is so easy to say sack the manager.

I'd lost interest by then, so wasn't finding anything interesting the realism of defeat had sunk in so couldn't wait for the final whistle.

Correct Jimmy, and laughable is that wilsoncgp backed his comment up regarding the manager with a reference to Fabio. Blame the bloody players not the manager as it is so easy to say sack the manager.

What on Earth are you banging on about here? :huh:

It would indicate to me that the manager is failing to learn from his mistake of not managing individual errors...

In my1st post I stated the manager carries the can for poor results, despite being 7th not playing well is down to the manager and coaching staff which I also believe I've indicated that the manager is not without blame, with regards to Traore coming back to defend that's also down to the manager, but quite a lot of sides bring everyone back behind the ball rightly or wrongly, in Traore's case wrongly because he couldn't tackle for toffee.