oneBoro Forum

I have to say I'm a little surprised to wake up and hear Monk is still in a job. Losing 3-0 at home in the way that we did against the kind of opposition where results are ultimately going to decide where we finish, completely of our own making in a game where Derby barely created a single chance for themselves... I thought even Steve Gibson would get an itchy trigger finger.

It sounds like for many people who saw the game, the first half was enough to keep him going. I didn't even think the first half was that good. I do wonder what could have been had Carson not made that superb save before their goal but overall I still think we were too slow in the build up and ultimately predictable. We couldn't play through the middle so the ball went wide. If that was wide on the left, it led to *** all as our left hand side is embarrassingly poor. Johnson did not look a confident man until about 30 minutes into the game when he suddenly decided to run at their defence. As many others have picked up on, Braithwaite was utterly anonymous and was playing so high up the pitch he was no longer an option through the middle for the midfield duo. He wasn't picking up the gaps in between the Derby midfield. They had such a good shape we needed him to be much more mobile to give us an option through the middle and he just didn't do it.

Based on your first paragraph, are you surprised to see Rafa Benitez in a job this morning? Losing 3-0 at home against opposition such as Watford?

Considering that Newcastle have had a pretty decent start in the Premier league for a newly promoted team, exceeding expectations with an inferior squad that on ability probably ranks in the bottom 3 in the league, and having to work under serious financial constraints, I'd say Benitez is overachieving. Comparing us to them just isn't a good analogy to draw as the situations are vastly different. You have to look at things objectively before drawing rash comparisons like that.

Wasn't drawing rash comparisons at all about us and Newcastle.

I interpreted Wilsons first paragraph as that he was surprised to see Monk was still in a job despite us losing 3-0 at home yesterday.

I was just pointing out that a 3-0 loss alone doesn't warrant a sacking of a manager, in context of other poor results it might obviously.

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say I'm a little surprised to wake up and hear Monk is still in a job. Losing 3-0 at home in the way that we did against the kind of opposition where results are ultimately going to decide where we finish, completely of our own making in a game where Derby barely created a single chance for themselves... I thought even Steve Gibson would get an itchy trigger finger.

It sounds like for many people who saw the game, the first half was enough to keep him going. I didn't even think the first half was that good. I do wonder what could have been had Carson not made that superb save before their goal but overall I still think we were too slow in the build up and ultimately predictable. We couldn't play through the middle so the ball went wide. If that was wide on the left, it led to *** all as our left hand side is embarrassingly poor. Johnson did not look a confident man until about 30 minutes into the game when he suddenly decided to run at their defence. As many others have picked up on, Braithwaite was utterly anonymous and was playing so high up the pitch he was no longer an option through the middle for the midfield duo. He wasn't picking up the gaps in between the Derby midfield. They had such a good shape we needed him to be much more mobile to give us an option through the middle and he just didn't do it.

Based on your first paragraph, are you surprised to see Rafa Benitez in a job this morning? Losing 3-0 at home against opposition such as Watford?

Considering that Newcastle have had a pretty decent start in the Premier league for a newly promoted team, exceeding expectations with an inferior squad that on ability probably ranks in the bottom 3 in the league, and having to work under serious financial constraints, I'd say Benitez is overachieving. Comparing us to them just isn't a good analogy to draw as the situations are vastly different. You have to look at things objectively before drawing rash comparisons like that.

I interpreted Wilsons first paragraph as that he was surprised to see Monk was still in a job despite us losing 3-0 at home yesterday.

I was just pointing out that a 3-0 loss alone doesn't warrant a sacking of a manager, in context of other poor results it might obviously.

well ofc not, Southgate was sacked after a 2-0 victory afterall....

It could be argued that our context is of other poor results, 7 of our 8 wins have come against the bottom 9 teams in the division. Our record against the top half is now played 8 won 1, drawn 2, lost 5. Our context is also that we have a squad that on ability (or cost) could be judged by many to be in the top 2 or 3 in the league. At the moment the person responsible for 'gelling' all the individuals of our squad together and making them perform to a level that's befitting of their abilities, isn't doing anywhere near that, and hasn't looked like getting near that yet in 18 games this season. When you throw in a defeat in the manner of yesterday's, it's unsurprising that people start to become indifferent to the prospect of a sacking.

Oway Jimmy, you know I wasn't just saying a 3-0 loss at home warrants a sacking. :D

Oway Jimmy, you know I wasn't just saying a 3-0 loss at home warrants a sacking. :D

:D

Hold on, individual mistakes by certain Boro players after a first half we controlled and your asking for the managers head your wrong. Blame the under performing players and give the manager a break.

I think the point many are trying to make is that of course players should receive portion of the blame for individual errors, but the fact we're making so many individual errors indicates a much deeper underlying frailty which it's probably fair to attribute to the coaching staff.

Hold on, individual mistakes by certain Boro players after a first half we controlled and your asking for the managers head your wrong. Blame the under performing players and give the manager a break.

Spot on, Monk could do nothing about a stupid pass from Braithwaite that put the defence in trouble, Ayala's pathetic challenge for the penalty and sending off, and an horrendous kick from the keeper, so apart from the 1st goal which was a quality finish the other 2 goals were a comedy of errors.

I don't feel Monk got the starting line up right, but the players have got to take a lot of responsibility for that defeat.

Spot on, Monk could do nothing about a stupid pass from Braithwaite that put the defence in trouble, Ayala's pathetic challenge for the penalty and sending off, and an horrendous kick from the keeper, so apart from the 1st goal which was a quality finish the other 2 goals were a comedy of errors.

I don't feel Monk got the starting line up right, but the players have got to take a lot of responsibility for that defeat.

well why do we have a manager then? 90% or even more goals in football are down to individual mistakes on some level :)

Just get the players out there and let them play, nothing do with the coaches anyway. Must be nice being a manager, just blame it on the players that you actually train and tell how to play :-P

well why do we have a manager then? 90% or even more goals in football are down to individual mistakes on some level )

Just get the players out there and let them play, nothing do with the coaches anyway. Must be nice being a manager, just blame it on the players that you actually train and tell how to play :-P

Monk isn't without fault but he also doesn't train his players to give away needless penalty's, or his centre half to make a stupid bloody foul in the oppositions half when on a yellow card, or his keeper to slice the ball straight to the Derby striker. I was at the game being a season card  holder, did you actually see the game at all, Derby had one shot 1st half and scored from it.

I didn't agree with the starting line up because Clayton and Forshaw playing together gives you nothing Monk's fault again, and no 90% of goals aren't due to individual mistakes the majority are down to good football and quality strikers and midfielders.

I think the point many are trying to make is that of course players should receive portion of the blame for individual errors, but the fact we're making so many individual errors indicates a much deeper underlying frailty which it's probably fair to attribute to the coaching staff.

Exactly this, and why do we start every second half slow? It's not a coincidence. What is Monk saying/not saying at half time? If we come out fully switched on yesterday in the second half that second goal doesn't happen. .

The priority in the second half should be come out fully concentrated and work your way back into the game but we looked half asleep.

Gibson over rated, Alaya is a calamity. Look like others I can go on and I can research stats to prove it. Why don’t we all just accept we are pretty crap under Monk and accept we are no where near what we think we are. I would go on record and state, as a team we are the best as what we can be under Monk, or the squad we have. Simply we will be no better than what we are. It’s just yet another year of embarrassing circumstances for the town, the fans and dare I say SG. I hold no hope for the club or it’s ambition because quite simply I don’t belive they known what is required. What I mean is I belive the club is trying to sell the town and fans the product is better than they can produce. The fans are buying a product at an inflated rated.

You really are a glass half empty sort of guy aren’t you

You’ve been telling everyone that will listen all yr that we are an average side , so why when we play average do you come on and tear everyone to pieces when they are doing everything you expect them too

Where do we go from here rich?

Bloody good question. I’d say we need to keep improving to ensure we get a top 6 place possibly add a player in jan. do we get rid of monk and if so when. Who knows. People at the club will know if things are improving or not and if we are reaching a realistic standard .

well why do we have a manager then? 90% or even more goals in football are down to individual mistakes on some level )

Monk isn't without fault but he also doesn't train his players to give away needless penalty's, or his centre half to make a stupid bloody foul in the oppositions half when on a yellow card, or his keeper to slice the ball straight to the Derby striker. I was at the game being a season card  holder, did you actually see the game at all, Derby had one shot 1st half and scored from it.

I didn't agree with the starting line up because Clayton and Forshaw playing together gives you nothing Monk's fault again, and no 90% of goals aren't due to individual mistakes the majority are down to good football and quality strikers and midfielders.

someone usualy do a mistake somewhere on some level before most goals, getting dribbled is also making a mistake, loosing position, missing in marking and so on