oneBoro Forum

The sense of entitlement on show by our supporters is pathetic

I'm not shooting you down for having an opinion, I'm shooting you down for an opinion which generalises an entire age bracket because that's ridiculous. You absolutely have the right to have an opinion, its freedom of speech but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

I'm not shooting you down for having an opinion, I'm shooting you down for an opinion which generalises an entire age bracket because that's ridiculous. You absolutely have the right to have an opinion, its freedom of speech but freedom of speech does not mean freedom from criticism.

Which age group did I shoot down and what did I shoot them down for?

Anyone not attending matches before 1995. They're guilty of not suffering through the years at Ayresome Park and apparently having a sense of entitlement because of this.

So I shot them down? I'm 100% certain I asked if it was their fault? Have they been made too many promises? With match day prices etc, added on are they right to expect more? I shot down people who are in no particular age group but are in a moaning / booing group during the natch who spoil the game for me personally, but I believe I have the right to criticise them don't I?

Look mate, I like you. You're a good poster. This isn't a personal attack on you, I'm simply disagreeing with your opinion and I explained why. It's a generalisation, you're lumping people together and it's not cool. That's my opinion, nothing more.

Look mate, I like you. You're a good poster. This isn't a personal attack on you, I'm simply disagreeing with your opinion and I explained why. It's a generalisation, you're lumping people together and it's not cool. That's my opinion, nothing more.

I actually think you missed my first post, I edited as there was too much to keep reposting. I didn't put everyone under the same umbrella, I picked out a few groups who annoyed me, these were also part of a larger group of the "entitled" so to speak who in fairness I don't believe I shot down but debated why they might be that way.

It's only opinions - you've always posted well and I haven't took anything personally, it would be a boring world and forum if we agreed on everything.

Just to clear a few points up here.

1. Nobody is saying that it is only the younger generation of supporters that feel a sense of entitlement.

2. Most have commented, myself included, that the lads in the south stand are fantastic and are the ones supporting the team even when things are not going well.

3. My own opinions were entirely based on comments taken from facebook, the gazette site and FMTTM where there were hundreds of messages calling for Monk to be sacked, Gibson to sell up, Ayala to never play for the club again etc etc.

I will say again, we find ourselves 7th in the league with less than half the season gone. We have a net spend of under 10 million. We have a new manager learning about his players. We have new players adapting to a new club. We have a core of established playets still low on confidence from a shambolic season of defeats and relegation.

Do I think we have underachieved this season? Yes. Do I want Gibson to sell up or Monk to be sacked or Ayala to be booted out of the club? No. Why would I? We are not entitled to be promoted. There are 10-15 other clubs all striving for the same thing this season. All doing their utmost to get promoted.

Too many of our supporters are caught up in this 'I want it and I want it now' mentality that is so prevelant in modern society. It is not an age thing. It does not matter if you are 18 or 80 it is solely down to mindset.

Too many of our supporters are like spoilt children who have experienced wealth (success on the pitch) and have now seen their circumstances change (relegation, no cup finals or european football) and they cannot handle it. They demand a return to the 'good life' and they want it now!

Sorry, but it does not work like that and we have no divine right to get back there.

Many of our supporters HAVE changed in the way they support the club since we moved to The Riverside. Even the ones who were AP regulars. Their attitudes, demands, strength of character and levels of patience have all altered for the worse. This is in many ways a direct reflection of society and something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

1. Nobody is saying that it is only the younger generation of supporters that feel a sense of entitlement.

2. Most have commented, myself included, that the lads in the south stand are fantastic and are the ones supporting the team even when things are not going well.

3. My own opinions were entirely based on comments taken from facebook, the gazette site and FMTTM where there were hundreds of messages calling for Monk to be sacked, Gibson to sell up, Ayala to never play for the club again etc etc.

I will say again, we find ourselves 7th in the league with less than half the season gone. We have a net spend of under 10 million. We have a new manager learning about his players. We have new players adapting to a new club. We have a core of established playets still low on confidence from a shambolic season of defeats and relegation.

Do I think we have underachieved this season? Yes. Do I want Gibson to sell up or Monk to be sacked or Ayala to be booted out of the club? No. Why would I? We are not entitled to be promoted. There are 10-15 other clubs all striving for the same thing this season. All doing their utmost to get promoted.

Too many of our supporters are caught up in this 'I want it and I want it now' mentality that is so prevelant in modern society. It is not an age thing. It does not matter if you are 18 or 80 it is solely down to mindset.

Too many of our supporters are like spoilt children who have experienced wealth (success on the pitch) and have now seen their circumstances change (relegation, no cup finals or european football) and they cannot handle it. They demand a return to the 'good life' and they want it now!

Sorry, but it does not work like that and we have no divine right to get back there.

Many of our supporters HAVE changed in the way they support the club since we moved to The Riverside. Even the ones who were AP regulars. Their attitudes, demands, strength of character and levels of patience have all altered for the worse. This is in many ways a direct reflection of society and something that leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

To expect is a right of a fan and what you fail to address is the majority of fans are pretty knowledgable about football. As part of evolution fans and mankind have moved on and I don't see what is relevant to past or present. What I read is a person who sees it differently than others but to condemn those that don't support your views is disrespectful. The statement of condecending, demanding spoilt children is degrading and quite frankly an insult to all fans.   The fans are the club and without them the club has no identity. 

I agree with alot of what uve said hobbo but whether gibson meant to or not he raised expectation levels with ill advised comment because it sounded like the prem is where he expected this club to be next season, even if we did not smash the league. The other thing is he gave an incentive for every manager, player and coach that comes here to work extra hard to make sure they do their bit to stop us doing that. Monk is out of his depth in my opinion but part of the reason for that is surely because Gibson heaped the pressure on him and the squad coming from all angles.

I don't think Gibson raised any excpectations. At least not from me. What raised my expectations to be battling for top-2 is the way we recruited in the summer and the squad we have compared to our competition. I couldn't care less about a chairmans comment. I'd rather see action. And Gibson delivered on that front in the summer. Any fan looking at our squad should rightly have high expectations regardless of whether they are young fans or old fans. When you have one of the best and most expensive squads in a league you also expect them to deliver.

Its one of the reasons I don't really come on here so much any more, or subscribe to many Boro pages. Yes, we are under-performing, but some of the drivel I see get posted is childish and laughable.

I just cannot be ***d with it any more. The fans stress me out more than the team at the minute.

To expect is a right of a fan and what you fail to address is the majority of fans are pretty knowledgable about football. As part of evolution fans and mankind have moved on and I don't see what is relevant to past or present. What I read is a person who sees it differently than others but to condemn those that don't support your views is disrespectful. The statement of condecending, demanding spoilt children is degrading and quite frankly an insult to all fans.   The fans are the club and without them the club has no identity. 

I think when you say as part of evolution fans and mankind have moved on. You are saying exactly the same as mr hobo. He said fans are different now your saying they’ve changed. Same thing .so it’s more than relevant the difference seems to be you think the change is good he doesn’t

For my opinion it does seem supporters now give in so much easier