oneBoro Forum

The sense of entitlement on show by our supporters is pathetic

And there is the difference between discussion and hysteria.

So many fans online right now are hysterical because we lost. 'Sack him now he is ***" seems to be particularly popular. No reasoning behind it. No suggestion of a replacement. No suggestions for what Monk can do to improve. Basically we lost, spoilt fans become hysterical. Repeat everytime they don't get what they want.

Its really rather ridiculous :-)

Why should he be sacked?

Because he's showing no signs of improvement, no signs of a plan, no consistency. He is massively underperforming with one of the most expensive squads not only in our history but in the history of this league. He is stifling an incredibly talented attacking squad and has disassembled a once stingy defence and turned it into an error ridden shambles.

Who should replace him?

This is literally the weakest argument possible for not changing a manager. But just to humour you, Pulis, Appleton, Potter, O'Neill, Pearson. And that's without even looking at foreign players.

What can Monk do to improve?

I'm not sure why you think fans online should be giving advice to a man who is literally paid to do this but again, I'll humour you. He needs to choose how he wants to play, then he needs to persevere with it. At the moment, on top of the other things I've said he's shown, he's shown that he is weak minded and not confident in his own ability. I've never in my 15+ years of following Boro and football in general seen any team chop and change formation and system as many times as we have so far this season.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Some snippets from FMTTM and social media.....

'Season is over' 'Sack Monk now' 'Bring back Karanka'  'Cancel Downings contract' 'Sell up Gibson'

Hysteria.

Congratulations on your self-confirmation! It must be incredibly frustrating for those (like yourself) who have played the game and have superior knowledge to us mere mortals, to have to wade through the hordes of hysterics, who just can't, despite their efforts, see the game in the way that you do. You should pity us really. 

Really, how is any of what you've said of relevance to this forum? Everyone knows that social media showcases the most extreme and baseless and outbursts. The irony is by posting stuff like this, you're doing exactly the same thing as the people you're accusing. Posting a polarised snippet of opinion, in the wake of a defeat, when you know tensions will be running high, to provoke a reaction.

The vast majority of users on this forum, that are on here not only to vent when things aren't going well, are reasoned, and if they are posting 'monk out' etc. they've probably debated it to death countless times in other threads. If coming on here and calling out 'hysterics' makes you feel better about how Boro are doing then crack on, but the hypocrisy is you yourself aren't contributing anything to the debate.

Really not sure what that means

Do you agree with sack monk,, cancel downings contract ,,Gibson should sell up.

If not what you say means nothing

TLH is just a complete WUM. Didn’t turn up until things were going badly, and then just to ride annoyed fans. Wouldn’t bother with anything he says. Whether monk is a manager in trouble or a dead man walking is immaterial, Gibson will decide and based on his track record I doubt he’ll tolerate the performances unless he sees an improvement.

He’s a WUM because he doesn’t want people sacked???? Does that make sense

And there is the difference between discussion and hysteria.

So many fans online right now are hysterical because we lost. 'Sack him now he is ***" seems to be particularly popular. No reasoning behind it. No suggestion of a replacement. No suggestions for what Monk can do to improve. Basically we lost, spoilt fans become hysterical. Repeat everytime they don't get what they want.

Its really rather ridiculous :-)

No reasoning behind it? Are you insane?

We are awful, playing with no direction or purpose and just look like doing nothing at all.

It's shocking to watch and you think there's no reasoning behind people wanting him out?

Absolutely bizarre.

Football is all about opinions. I am not in the habit of wasting my time winding strangers up on an internet forum. I find that idea bizzarre.

I have clarified myself once already but will do so again.

1. I think a high % of our supporters feel a sense of entitlement. I commented that this never used to be the case at Ayresome Park and put forward the suggestion that The Riverside Years had spoilt them.

2. I stressed that this opinion was formed solely by what I was reading on social media, the Gazette site and FMTTM.

3. I linked entitlement to hysteria with the behaviour of some fans akin to a child throwing a tantrum in a toy shop. 'Sack Monk he is ***" 'Gibson sell the club you are ***' 'Ayala get out of the club and never return" were the three comments i referenced after the Derby game.

4. I did not single out any age group.

5. I suggested that the mindset of many Boro fans was 'I want it and I want it now' and spoke about this being indicative of modern society in general.

Now if you disagree with those points then fine. They are only based on my opinion and of course we will not all agree. Thats life.

I would concede though that calling for Monk to be sacked might not be hysterical. I can see why I was wrong to say that in certain aspects. Posters on this thread have put forward some excellent points about why he should go and obviously well reasoned, thoughtful insight should not be classed as hysterical. Whilst I respect those opinions about Monk it is not one I agree with. However, that does not mean that I think you are a troll or on a wind up. It just means we look at the sitiation in different ways. Nothing wrong with that.

In terms of entitlement, I would say those calling for Monk to be sacked have to be more realistic and patient. Why should we be so different from many clubs who struggle in the aftermath of relegation? Why should we be so different from many clubs who struggle following a high influx of new players?

We are not even half way through the season. At the time of the original piece we were 7th in the league. We were not embrioled in a relegation battle with 10 games left. We were not even in the bottom half with 20 games left. We were 7th with around 29 games left. 87 points still to play for.

I remarked about growing up watching my football on The Holgate. Never, not once, would I have ever seen and heard our supporters calling for a new manager to be sacked if the club were in this situation.

That is a great example of the sense of entitlement that runs through our supporters now.

The hysteria on show by supporters following a defeat is a different argument though it can be linked. Of course passions are high. Fans feelings have been hurt. They want to lash out at the club. They want players and management to hurt like they do so they shout nasty things as loud as they can to as many people as they can. That is hysteria. It is not calm and considered criticism. There is a difference.

I do not understand this sense of entitlement and I do not understand the mass hysteria that accompanies every defeat. That is the crux of my point I suppose.

I agree with the second to last paragraph Hobo.

The most reasoned comments and opinion usually come midweek when people have calmed down a bit, some of the stuff said mid game is embarrassing. Usually well reasoned posters taking their frustration and anger out on other Boro fans. Monk out, Karanka out, Agnew out, Mowbray out! Every time a goals conceded.

I just understand why you are coming on here and having a pop at Boro fans on another forum? It just feels like an indirect dig at people on here. I know you were having a pop at me earlier in this thread when you started paraphrasing one of my posts.

I haven't saw anyone make a criticism on here that isn't backed up by a constructive reason. You can't because you'd have people jumping on you if you didn't.

Dunno if that's aimed at me or Hobo but you can't actually believe that no one has made a criticism that's not been backed up by constructive reason?! Read through the match day threads.

Dunno if that's aimed at me or Hobo but you can't actually believe that no one has made a criticism that's not been backed up by constructive reason?! Read through the match day threads.

It was aimed at Hobo.

During a match thread you are not going to get people writing essays with a balanced argument about the strengths and weaknesses of Garry Monks management style. I don't know why people would read a match thread and start analysing people's posts anyway when emotions are obviously higher and less thought out.

It's barely even a discussion during a match.

Yep I agree but maybe that's the hysteria that Hobo was referring to.

I in no way think that anyone who wants Monk gone is being hysteric, far from it, I don't even know if I still want him here really, but by definition people that just call for the managers head and say Gibson is clueless every time we concede a goal is guilty of hysteria. I'm not talking about yesterday btw I'm talking about a few games into the season and last season with Karanka and Agnew too. Happens all the time!

As soon as someone has an opinion that isn't felt by the masses, there's always one who whips out the 'WUM' tag for them. :rolleyes:

To be fair the troll card was played by many earlier in the season for those that criticised Monk.

Spot on. Called for Monk out about 8 games ago and got nothing but abuse. How the tables turn

I seem to remember most agreed with me when I said if nothing has improved (results or performance) by the end of November then it'd be time to get rid. Well it's December now and Monk is still flapping around seemingly having no idea what to do. Act now and we can stop this season from being a laughing stock, continue as we are and we'll finish 10th at best with the best squad in the league.

the more i read and study Hobo,s posts the more i cant help thinking its Changing Times .

this is not a dig at all btw. as i thought his posts on the whole were  good even if at times a little condescending.

the more i read and study Hobo,s posts the more i cant help thinking its Changing Times .

this is not a dig at all btw. as i thought his posts on the whole were  good even if at times a little condescending.

He is too old to be CT I think based on his timeline of events