oneBoro Forum

Boro v Ipswich 2-0 (Braithwaite, Bamford)

I expect a last throw of the dice from Monk tomorrow with quite a few changes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gestede playing and maybe even Bamford in the team as well.

This team is capable of beating Ipswich but you could really toss a coin on the outcome. If we score first we might have a chance, concede first and we'll capitulate.

Deep down I feel the best thing for the club in the longrun would be another hammering so we get rid of Monk.

Just can't get my head around the sentiment in the last paragraph mate. I've seen quite a few people willing us to lose on Sat to put more pressure on Monk. Don't think I could ever will Boro to lose, under any circumstances.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Pre season expectations have gave us a mirage how this season was "supposed" to go

It hasnt happened and a lot of fans are struggling with the reality of it all imo

We are not playing Championship style football, hard working/get stuck in/closing down

not to mention the total lack of urgency in just about every section of the field

Until these basics of a battling Championship league are addressed we will struggle every game

Quite baffling really when Monk has experienced it with Leeds, but hasnt seemed to embrace it with Boro

Too many positional options??

Deep down I feel the best thing for the club in the longrun would be another hammering so we get rid of Monk.

surely if you want rid of Monk the best thing would be to hope we play absolutely out of our skin, win well every week, and allow him eventually to be poached by Barcelona

Yeah I'd prefer that, but I live in the real world!

I think too many of our senior players simply haven't turned up - Clayton, Friend, Ayala, etc.. So the base we expected too build from never really existed.

Has Clayton done a lot wrong? He hasn’t been given as many chances as previous seasons.

Friend I agree has been below par. He has been my favourite player for the past few seasons. I don’t know what has happened to him this season:-(

Ayala has been hit and miss. In the run of a few wins, not so long ago, he was being praised as looking like his old self. Consistency? No. But not turning up - seems a bit unfair.

Assombolonga has done what we paid the money for. Fabio/Christie have been okay on th whole. Randolph steady. But would you argue any of the rest of the squad have ‘turned up’?

I am one of the most loyal Boro fans when it comes to managers. Even in the darkest times I have had faith it will come right. I don’t know what it is about this season or Monk, but I am devoid of optimism. I really hope I am proven wrong tomorrow.

I expect a last throw of the dice from Monk tomorrow with quite a few changes. I wouldn't be surprised to see Gestede playing and maybe even Bamford in the team as well.

This team is capable of beating Ipswich but you could really toss a coin on the outcome. If we score first we might have a chance, concede first and we'll capitulate.

Just can't get my head around the sentiment in the last paragraph mate. I've seen quite a few people willing us to lose on Sat to put more pressure on Monk. Don't think I could ever will Boro to lose, under any circumstances.

I'm not willing us to lose, I don't think any genuine fan would take pleasure in seeing their team lose either.

If you think we have the wrong man in charge (which I do) then the best thing is see things changed asap.

I suppose it's short term pain for (hopefully) long term gain.

I think too many of our senior players simply haven't turned up - Clayton, Friend, Ayala, etc.. So the base we expected too build from never really existed.

Apart from friend the player that has probably disappointed me the most I Gibson. Looks a shadow of himself. Maybe he just looks worse when watching on the PC but he looks nowhere near a Prem player.

Footballers are people and people get affected by things. Relegation, especially the way it happened, was always going to take it's toll, not to mention whatever crap was going on behind the scenes.

In the summer we needed to rebuild the squad and we didn't do it. Friend is in decline. Ayala hasn't had a proper good game for 18 months (nowadays if he plays and doesn't make a serious screw up we regard that as 'good'). Clayton started the season being asked to play as some kind of hybrid holding midfielder/extra central defender and that appears to have knocked him sideways. Gibson should have moved on in the summer after the progress he'd made last season - you don't make progress by going backwards, well unless you're a rower I suppose. Most of the rest are no better than the level we're playing at and some are clearly past their best.

Of the new additions, Braithwaite got injured and wasn't really the type of player we needed anyway. Assombalonga hasn't been able to score a goal against anyone decent yet. That's not only down to him but missing sitters isn't going to help that record or our record against the better sides. We wasted money on the likes of Fletcher and Shotton, who don't add anything to us except to the wage bill, something we have been making a habit of over the last few years.

Monk certainly can't be absolved of any blame though. As I said a while back before having to suffer an inquisition, we've had no system to speak of really. Not only has there been inconsistency in our approach, there's also been a similar issue in team selection as well. Lots of muddled thinking, misuse of players etc. We have enough individual quality to beat the inferior sides at this level but we haven't been good enough as a team to beat the better ones so far. We're about where we should be in the league unfortunately.

Can anyone give me a bit of a low down on how Ipswich play? I haven't seen much of them this season.

Surprised no-one took the time to reply to this but having been involved every game of the season thus far, who better to provide some information.

First of all, we have the core of a good team, Bialkowski is arguably one of the finest goalkeeper in the championship (he wouldn't disgrace the premier league by any means) and a lot of capable attackers to choose from.   Waghorn has been a very astute capture and wouldn't be surprised to see him find goal again tomorrow.

McGoldrick is an adequate player, but hampered by injury on occasion, but when fit and focused, is one of the best forwards we possess.   Garner has yet to make a proper impact, and Celina can be a very useful addition - but needs to be involved more.

We do get lucky sometimes, often pick up wins that aren't really deserving, but the mass of draws from last season has been much eradicated.   When everybody pulls their weight and McCarthy selects a strong team - and not play players out of position - we can give anyone a game in this division, but have a tendency to still hoof balls around which at least isn't as prevalent as a few months back.

We need a new holding midfielder and one or two defensive options, the other departments of the team takes care of themselves, although Gerken doesn't always represent suitable cover if Bialkowski is injured or unavailable for selection.

I'd be surprised if we didn't at least score up there tomorrow, Middlesbrough have had their problems this season, and you'll forgive me for saying it, but we aim to take any advantage of the situation.   It should be a successful event.

Footballers are people and people get affected by things. Relegation, especially the way it happened, was always going to take it's toll, not to mention whatever crap was going on behind the scenes.

In the summer we needed to rebuild the squad and we didn't do it. Friend is in decline. Ayala hasn't had a proper good game for 18 months (nowadays if he plays and doesn't make a serious screw up we regard that as 'good'). Clayton started the season being asked to play as some kind of hybrid holding midfielder/extra central defender and that appears to have knocked him sideways. Gibson should have moved on in the summer after the progress he'd made last season - you don't make progress by going backwards, well unless you're a rower I suppose. Most of the rest are no better than the level we're playing at and some are clearly past their best.

Of the new additions, Braithwaite got injured and wasn't really the type of player we needed anyway. Assombalonga hasn't been able to score a goal against anyone decent yet. That's not only down to him but missing sitters isn't going to help that record or our record against the better sides. We wasted money on the likes of Fletcher and Shotton, who don't add anything to us except to the wage bill, something we have been making a habit of over the last few years.

Monk certainly can't be absolved of any blame though. As I said a while back before having to suffer an inquisition, we've had no system to speak of really. Not only has there been inconsistency in our approach, there's also been a similar issue in team selection as well. Lots of muddled thinking, misuse of players etc. We have enough individual quality to beat the inferior sides at this level but we haven't been good enough as a team to beat the better ones so far. We're about where we should be in the league unfortunately.

This. All of this.

Gibson needed to go for himself, at this point I worry for his career long term if I'm being honest.

Yet another failed transfer window, maybe, just maybe our incompetent head of recruitment will finally carry the can for his failings. Although I'm sure there's a foreigner involved at some stage who the blame could be pinned on...

I suspect a few changes will be made tomorrow

Randolph

Christie Ayala Gibson Fabio

Howson Leadbitter

Downing Braithwaite Bamford

Britt

That is the team

I'm actually hoping that if you're saying that's the 11, that's not the formation.

Randolph

Christie Ayala Gibson Fabio

Downing Leadbitter Howson

Bamford Britt Braithwaite

Only way for me. Monk's on his last go now. If he doesn't pick the system the way he wanted to play, I'll just think him a bit of a coward. I hope he does go with this and it plays as well as it did for us at the very start of the season.