oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

What would people think about Jordan Jones (ex-Academy) as an option for the LW? He's supposedly doing really well for Kilmarnock and Burnley are meant to be interested in him.

I'd prefer us to try again for Murphy at Norwich, no idea where they are in the table and wether he'd be interested but I think he's an excellent player.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

'cold, wet and boring' Middlesbrough ace Fabio slams Teesside as he dreams of Brazil return with twin Rafael

https://tinyurl.com/y9ddew2k

From the other thread. I didn't open the link fully as it's from The S*n, but if this is from today, Fabio looks like he may be off regardless.

“I think I’ll sign another three-year contract in England to stay until I’m 30, but then I want to finish my career with Botafogo.

“Both Rafael and I dream about playing for them.”

Typical S*n, at no point in the article does he "slam Teeside". Nevertheless he does explicitly say he wants to stay in England another 3 years. His contract runs out at the end of the season, so I assume he will leave on a free. Regardless we should begin the search for another LB, either signing them in January or at least laying the groundwork for the summer...

They've lifted those quotes from a Sport Witness article and just totally twisted them, but we shouldn't be surprised at anything that rag does

http://sportwitness.co.uk/juninho-pele-middlesbrough-star-tells-brazil-press-hes-changed-mind-transfer/

I found the original interview with Fabio from the Brazilian website, it's quite an interesting read

https://globoesporte.globo.com/futebol/futebol-internacional/noticia/fabio-vive-bom-momento-na-inglaterra-mas-diz-sonho-jogar-no-botafogo.ghtml

Cant agree with Chrstie not being "that good".  Id argue and say that as we attack more than we defend, he's more good than bad. I can't think of a Vetter right back in the league who is as good going forward than him.

It's very rare you see a right back being excellent at both, but he is still capable in defence. Put anyone in the right back slot over Chrstie and we are a weaker team.

Certainly the best right back we've had for a while in my opinion.

He's not exactly up against much though is he?  Hoyte, Parnaby, Richardson, Varga, Kalas, Nsue, Barragan and a few others I'm trying to forget.

I do get what you're saying but we only have marginally more possession than time without the ball,  51%-49%.  I wouldn't say he was excellent at either attacking or defending although his strength is certainly in attacking because he's athletic, he can get forward, he's clearly confident in himself and he has shown he can supply a decent cross at times (not as often as he should in my opinion as he too often makes the wrong decision).  On the list of things we need sorting I'd have right back lower down the list but he's another player we'd need to replace should we stumble our way to promotion.  One thing at a time though I guess.

Cant agree with Chrstie not being "that good".  Id argue and say that as we attack more than we defend, he's more good than bad. I can't think of a Vetter right back in the league who is as good going forward than him.

It's very rare you see a right back being excellent at both, but he is still capable in defence. Put anyone in the right back slot over Chrstie and we are a weaker team.

Certainly the best right back we've had for a while in my opinion.

He's not exactly up against much though is he?  Hoyte, Parnaby, Richardson, Varga, Kalas, Nsue, Barragan and a few others I'm trying to forget.

I do get what you're saying but we only have marginally more possession than time without the ball,  51%-49%.  I wouldn't say he was excellent at either attacking or defending although his strength is certainly in attacking because he's athletic, he can get forward, he's clearly confident in himself and he has shown he can supply a decent cross at times (not as often as he should in my opinion as he too often makes the wrong decision).  On the list of things we need sorting I'd have right back lower down the list but he's another player we'd need to replace should we stumble our way to promotion.  One thing at a time though I guess.

Exactly this ^

very interesting debate this is regarding Fabio and Christie . a few thoughts have crossed my mind 

for me they both are more than decent but both have weaknesses that our current system tends to highlight when we come up aginst the better prepared teams . 

it would seem that we set up to try to utilise them as wing backs and in Christie,s case especially the problem thus far is  he then can easily be left stranded too far upfield when sides counter attack   Christie to me would be far more effective and a lot less defective  if we played with three central defenders which ideally you need to do for wing backs to operate to thier optimum. 

Fabio though not as negligable to the counter , doesnt have the same assurance in the final third , it may indeed be down to the fact that he is basically right footed but hes also more defensive orientated in general. so theres a lack of uniform so to speak . cONtrary to Christie fabio would probably be better suited to being restricted to a role without being asked to venture as far forward ....i.e  in a system with just two central defenders.  in a way i can sympathise with both of them as currently theyre being asked to operate in the whole length of the pitch and if theyre copping stick from some folk for having poor delivery and at the same time neglecting thier defensive marking. 

i honestly cant name a No 3 /left back  that hasnt got a flaw of some level  in one or the other disciplines . Sessegnon is great going forwards but not especially stand out as a defender.

I get what your saying I just don't think it holds us back as much as our poor midfield or lack of a 'proper' #10.

Our problems for me is our inability to cause much damage through the centre, just because full backs provide the width doesn't mean the automatically have to cross it, they are literally just an option out wide.

When I watch us it's like we're only using two third of the pitch to attack, the right and the centre.

If we use the left as effectively as the right, it will create more space in the centre.

Just watch when Downing has the ball on the right - because of the threat of Christie overlapping, he has more time and more options on the ball. He can pick an accurate forward pass instead of playing sideways/backwards. You can see how Downing's performances have improved from being on that side being supported by Christie.

Everything from the left is coming inside and/or slow play. It's really predictable, easy to defend against and congests the space for our attacks.

It's not something you'd necessarily spot unless you know what it's like to pick the ball up and realise you have no-one to pass to other than a sideways/backwards ball or give the ball away trying to pick out the #9 surrounded by defenders. It's a really hard position to play if you don't have that outlet on the overlap. It gives you 5 yards more space to play in.

That "effective" right footed full back assists and scores less often per match than the right footed left back.

Interesting.

That is interesting Humpty - as you're incorrect unfortuantely!

Christie has the most assists in the entire team with 3 (0.15 assists per game). Fabio has 1 assist (0.067 assists per game). They both have a goal each.

very interesting debate this is regarding Fabio and Christie . a few thoughts have crossed my mind 

for me they both are more than decent but both have weaknesses that our current system tends to highlight when we come up aginst the better prepared teams . 

it would seem that we set up to try to utilise them as wing backs and in Christie,s case especially the problem thus far is  he then can easily be left stranded too far upfield when sides counter attack   Christie to me would be far more effective and a lot less defective  if we played with three central defenders which ideally you need to do for wing backs to operate to thier optimum. 

Fabio though not as negligable to the counter , doesnt have the same assurance in the final third , it may indeed be down to the fact that he is basically right footed but hes also more defensive orientated in general. so theres a lack of uniform so to speak . cONtrary to Christie fabio would probably be better suited to being restricted to a role without being asked to venture as far forward ....i.e  in a system with just two central defenders.  in a way i can sympathise with both of them as currently theyre being asked to operate in the whole length of the pitch and if theyre copping stick from some folk for having poor delivery and at the same time neglecting thier defensive marking. 

i honestly cant name a No 3 /left back  that hasnt got a flaw of some level  in one or the other disciplines . Sessegnon is great going forwards but not especially stand out as a defender.

Is this not the reason that at the start of the season Clayton was dropping back in between the two centre backs to allow the full backs go forward and provide the width. The idea seems to have been abandoned along with Clayton being dropped from the squad.

I get what your saying I just don't think it holds us back as much as our poor midfield or lack of a 'proper' #10.

Our problems for me is our inability to cause much damage through the centre, just because full backs provide the width doesn't mean the automatically have to cross it, they are literally just an option out wide.

When I watch us it's like we're only using two third of the pitch to attack, the right and the centre.

If we use the left as effectively as the right, it will create more space in the centre.

Just watch when Downing has the ball on the right - because of the threat of Christie overlapping, he has more time and more options on the ball. He can pick an accurate forward pass instead of playing sideways/backwards. You can see how Downing's performances have improved from being on that side being supported by Christie.

Everything from the left is coming inside and/or slow play. It's really predictable, easy to defend against and congests the space for our attacks.

It's not something you'd necessarily spot unless you know what it's like to pick the ball up and realise you have no-one to pass to other than a sideways/backwards ball or give the ball away trying to pick out the #9 surrounded by defenders. It's a really hard position to play if you don't have that outlet on the overlap. It gives you 5 yards more space to play in.

That "effective" right footed full back assists and scores less often per match than the right footed left back.

Interesting.

Christie has the most assists in the entire team with 3 (0.15 assists per game). Fabio has 1 assist (0.067 assists per game). They both have a goal each.

Okay cool, thought no one was going to say anything there for a minute. 

He can't even claim to be talking historically either because Christie has as many assists this season as Fabio has in his entire career.

Interesting.

Okay cool, thought no one was going to say anything there for a minute. 

He can't even claim to be talking historically either because Christie has as many assists this season as Fabio has in his entire career.

Another interesting stat is that Cyrus the Virus has been involved in 15% of our goals this season.

Is this not the reason that at the start of the season Clayton was dropping back in between the two centre backs to allow the full backs go forward and provide the width. The idea seems to have been abandoned along with Clayton being dropped from the squad.

yeah i think that was the idea in principle. the problem being. for all Clayton was until that point one of our best players . the two areas where he is a liabilty imo are in or around our box as he commits too many silly fouls and is non existant in arial battles. and  too far forward (liability is maybe too strong a term in this case). i dont think any of our midfielders could fill that role tbh.

yeah i think that was the idea in principle. the problem being. for all Clayton was until that point one of our best players . the two areas where he is a liabilty imo are in or around our box as he commits too many silly fouls and is non existant in arial battles. and  too far forward (liability is maybe too strong a term in this case). i dont think any of our midfielders could fill that role tbh.

I honestly thought that Clayton was ideal for that role but I take your points about his deficiencies. I still think it would be better than leaving our centre backs completely exposed when the full backs advance.

I honestly thought that Clayton was ideal for that role but I take your points about his deficiencies. I still think it would be better than leaving our centre backs completely exposed when the full backs advance.

maybe it would be an option once we identify or sign a player than is comfortable in midfielld and as a defender but theres other proirities in January tranfer wise by general consensus.

maybe it would be an option once we identify or sign a player than is comfortable in midfielld and as a defender but theres other proirities in January tranfer wise by general consensus.

Callum Chambers would be perfect IMO and would mean less requirements of the attacking players to defend so deep. Nobody could convince me that a front three of Braithwaite Assombalonga and Bamford would not score bags full of goals if given license to stay up there and interchange between themselves. It would cause havoc a*** opposition defences. There I've said it.... we only need one player in January..... Callum Chambers