oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

Bamford has 1 goal 0 assists in 900 minutes of league football. I like him as a player, but thinking he's anywhere near as potent as Britt is crazy.

If Bamford didn't have his 'legacy' with the club, he'd be getting the same treatment as Fletcher... the fact that fletcher has been more productive is lost on some who can't see past their Paddy Lensed Glasses.

Fletcher has contributed to 3 goals in less than half the playing time Paddy has contributed to 2. Paddy has been a severe disappointment since we signed him permanently.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Bamford has 1 goal 0 assists in 900 minutes of league football. I like him as a player, but thinking he's anywhere near as potent as Britt is crazy.

If Bamford didn't have his 'legacy' with the club, he'd be getting the same treatment as Fletcher... the fact that fletcher has been more productive is lost on some who can't see past their Paddy Lensed Glasses.

Fletcher has contributed to 3 goals in less than half the playing time Paddy has contributed to 2. Paddy has been a severe disappointment since we signed him permanently.

Could you not argue that we know that Bamford CAN and HAS done it in this league before. What we dont know, going into a promotion season, is that Fletcher cant be relied upon. He had a chance at the start but didnt even do a great deal.

Plus Bamford is more likeable for me. I thi k he is a terrific footballer, we just don't play to his strengths.

Agree with this, it's amazing what the favourites can get away with compared to new signings. Clayton and Howson treatment is the perfect example.

To be fair to Bamford, he's been in and out of the side and playing in different positions, which is not ideal for a confidence player.

For me the difference between Bamford and Fletcher is that Bamford has a good touch, good movement and can make a pass. I'm not sure what Fletcher can do.

The harsh truth for Steve Gibson is that Assombalonga, Bamford and Fletcher are not Pulis type players. You can also put Christie in that group - he's being asked to play a different role completely overnight.

I'm hoping Assombalonga works hard and keeps his place in the team. To call him a flat-track bully is unfair - the whole team have been crap against the top 6 so far this season.

Could you not argue that we know that Bamford CAN and HAS done it in this league before. What we dont know, going into a promotion season, is that Fletcher cant be relied upon. He had a chance at the start but didnt even do a great deal.

Plus Bamford is more likeable for me. I thi k he is a terrific footballer, we just don't play to his strengths.

Just out of curiosity do you mean bamford is more likeable as a person? If so how come? Fletcher always comes across as a nice guy in his interviews too.

To be fair to Bamford, he's been in and out of the side and playing in different positions, which is not ideal for a confidence player.

For me the difference between Bamford and Fletcher is that Bamford has a good touch, good movement and can make a pass. I'm not sure what Fletcher can do.

The harsh truth for Steve Gibson is that Assombalonga, Bamford and Fletcher are not Pulis type players. You can also put Christie in that group - he's being asked to play a different role completely overnight.

I'm hoping Assombalonga works hard and keeps his place in the team. To call him a flat-track bully is unfair - the whole team have been crap against the top 6 so far this season.

Has fletcher not been in and out of the side aswell though?

I agree about his touch but I wouldn't say his movement is that bad, always seems to find himself in good positions just messes it up with his touch.

At the moment bamford looks a better player than fletcher. He has a better touch better vision and seems more aware of what’s around him. Fletcher is faster and may turn out to be a better player but not right now

Let's be honest neither Fletcher or Bamford have really took their chances when they've played this season.

I agree that Fletcher gets so much more stick than Bamford, and it may be because a lot of people have a soft spot for him from the 14-15 season, or that because of that we know he's capable of that form and willing to give him more time to show it?

My bet would be that Braithwait takes a chance if he gets it as one of our 2 strikers. But I would say that so far Britt is easily best in terms of goals and then Braithwaite.

Neither Bamford, Fletcher and Gestede have showed or scored much. Gestede role as target player is clear and I think Bamford have more experience so he will fight it out with Britt And Braithwait.

Fletcher I would send out on loan to mid/Lower championship team. A striking force of Britt, Gestede, Bamford and Braithwait is really strong in my view. However our main issue is still the creativity to create chances for them.

That was our main problem last year and still not resolved.

The problem is we can't fit Britt, Gestede, Braithwaite and Paddy in a balanced team. I'm not sure whether we'll be using Gestede as Plan A or as an option off the bench.

I'd quite like to see Britt and Braithwaite upfront together, they're two strikers that can keep up with Traore...

I think in January we will be looking for a left sided player, either braithwaite will go or he will play in a front 4 of him, Britt, new guy and traore if he keeps impressing pulis. just realised I've forgot downing haha.

Or we could go with a 3 of either braithwaite/new guy, Britt and traore with a midfield 3 of downing, Howson and a new guy behind. I'd personally like this set up but not sure I could see pulis going for it.

Either way I think our focus for January will be on a centre mid and sorting the left side, I think shotton will be enough at rb if he doesn't fancy Christie, specially if traore is in front of him.

Bamford has had two and a bit years have having the *** kicked out of him, mentally speaking. His confidence is clearly shot to pieces. He had 18 months of getting nowhere after he left us, then got a move here which must have felt like winning the lottery from his point of view - manager that rates him, club he knows where he's done well - only for that to get him absolutely nowhere. Rather than building up his confidence Karanka did what he had a tendency to do and obliterated the lad publicly, throwing him under a bus with a long line of Boro players because he had pressure on himself. I'm not surprised he is as he is sadly, he might never get back to where he was, which is a shame for him.

In terms of ability he's the best striker at the club. Better movement than Britt and Gestede, more composed than Britt and Gestede, better technically than Britt and Gestede and is a better finisher overall than Britt and Gestede.

Fletcher isn't at their level at the moment, one day perhaps he will be as he does have some ability and some natural strengths (speed for one). Bamford is a striker, not a wide attacking player or number 10. Fletcher you can see playing through the middle or out wide so he has a bit more versatility and that could help him. Comparing the seasons they've had is fair enough when thinking about selecting a side for a match but I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of their overall ability. However, Bamford isn't playing to his ability so that has to be noted of course.

We have too many strikers either way so something will have to give and I suspect it will be Bamford.

I think in January we will be looking for a left sided player, either braithwaite will go or he will play in a front 4 of him, Britt, new guy and traore if he keeps impressing pulis. just realised I've forgot downing haha.

Or we could go with a 3 of either braithwaite/new guy, Britt and traore with a midfield 3 of downing, Howson and a new guy behind. I'd personally like this set up but not sure I could see pulis going for it.

Either way I think our focus for January will be on a centre mid and sorting the left side, I think shotton will be enough at rb if he doesn't fancy Christie, specially if traore is in front of him.

Where does Downing play in that front four situation?

Why do you think Assombalonga will be here at the end of January when he has been subbed in each of the last 3 games?

In terms of ability he's the best striker at the club.  Better movement than Britt and Gestede, more composed than Britt and Gestede, better technically than Britt and Gestede and is a better finisher overall than Britt and Gestede.  

This.