oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

Britt is having a poor run of form, but he's still on track to be our best ever league scorer.. A lot of the Bamford talk is nostalgic over-sentimentality, the same people who can't think of Boro without Clayton or want Dimi in goal..

Disagree about bamford and Clayton but your spot on with Britt. He’s odds on to be our first forward to score 20+ goals since Bernie and we are putting him down all the time

Sorry Rich but when any other player stops pulling their weight then you speak about it and I suspect the manager does too. Fantastic that he's scored the goals he has already, nobody is gonna forget that in a hurry but he's absolutely gone off the boil and Pulis knows it. When has he ever been subbed off at the time he was yesterday before? You'd tend to keep a striker who you can guarantee goals from on the pitch as they'll just find a way to put it in the net out of nothing. But having him on the pitch yesterday was utterly detrimental to us in the game as he simply wasn't making the runs and wasn't pressing the defenders often enough. He's not the best at holding the ball up at the club so if nothing's gonna stick, you need him to be giving the defenders a run around.

I'd also say that because we know what Britt is capable of, we know he can do better. The goals he's scored doesn't completely absolve him of the poor performances recently, in fact it's more likely to get spotted than if it was Fletcher, Bamford or Gestede.

Said it before, I know Britt didn't quite get the support yesterday or against Villa. But there was absolutely no pressure on the ball from the front, particularly against Preston in that first half. Those defenders had the easiest half of football they're likely to have barring the Ayala goal. It was like Britt wasn't even there.

Agree with this, Britt needs to start working harder if he wants to play.

I can see a Pulis team being more like a Karanka team where you need a a player up front who will work his backside off. Nugent wasn't prolific for us 2 years ago but it didn't stop us getting promoted.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see Bamford get in the team ahead of Britt, although he might not be quite as prolific he'll be a better option over the top and will work defenders a lot harder.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Britt is having a poor run of form, but he's still on track to be our best ever league scorer.. A lot of the Bamford talk is nostalgic over-sentimentality, the same people who can't think of Boro without Clayton or want Dimi in goal..

Disagree about bamford and Clayton but your spot on with Britt. He’s odds on to be our first forward to score 20+ goals since Bernie and we are putting him down all the time

Sorry Rich but when any other player stops pulling their weight then you speak about it and I suspect the manager does too. Fantastic that he's scored the goals he has already, nobody is gonna forget that in a hurry but he's absolutely gone off the boil and Pulis knows it. When has he ever been subbed off at the time he was yesterday before? You'd tend to keep a striker who you can guarantee goals from on the pitch as they'll just find a way to put it in the net out of nothing. But having him on the pitch yesterday was utterly detrimental to us in the game as he simply wasn't making the runs and wasn't pressing the defenders often enough. He's not the best at holding the ball up at the club so if nothing's gonna stick, you need him to be giving the defenders a run around.

I'd also say that because we know what Britt is capable of, we know he can do better. The goals he's scored doesn't completely absolve him of the poor performances recently, in fact it's more likely to get spotted than if it was Fletcher, Bamford or Gestede.

Said it before, I know Britt didn't quite get the support yesterday or against Villa. But there was absolutely no pressure on the ball from the front, particularly against Preston in that first half. Those defenders had the easiest half of football they're likely to have barring the Ayala goal. It was like Britt wasn't even there.

For a big strong guy he’s crap at holding the ball up. He gets knocked all over with his back to goal the opposite of when he’s facing goal. As a forward he seems to like balls played between defenders for him to run onto. We haven’t been playing to that strength on sat we stuck him up front and asked him to do the thing he’s crap at. I would agree if that’s the player we want he isn’t it. But he’s still got 12 goals so far so I’d be trying to get him in the positions he wants

I can see a Pulis team being more like a Karanka team where you need a a player up front who will work his backside off. Nugent wasn't prolific for us 2 years ago but it didn't stop us getting promoted.

That's why it wouldn't surprise me to see Bamford get in the team ahead of Britt, although he might not be quite as prolific he'll be a better option over the top and will work defenders a lot harder.

Would it surprise you to know that Britt this season has an inferior goals per minute ratio to Bamford a few season's back?  In fact, if Britt plays another 6 full games or so he will have played the same amount of time as Bamford did the whole of that season.  He's currently 5 goals behind him so he'd need 6 in 6 to surpass Bamford as it stands.  That's certainly not impossible but this idea of Britt being prolific is based upon what exactly?  He hasn't scored more than 15 at this level ever.  He's scored 12 goals this season in 26 games and he's played near enough every minute of them all - just over 100 mins of total time he hasn't been on the pitch this season and 40 mins of that was yesterday.

That season Bamford had for us he scored goals against Derby (both games), Norwich, Brentford, Ipswich & Wolves that I can think of who were a*** the better sides in the league that season and won us some penalties in those games as well.  Who has Britt done it against so far?  Not only that but Bamford had a handful of assists, Britt has no track record of assists and it's easy to see why when you watch him play.

I can't believe that anyone who watched Bamford that season and Britt this season thinks Britt is superior in any way.  It's not even close in my opinion.  However, we have to look at Bamford this season obviously and that's a different story of course.  It just seems weird to me how people talk Britt up when he really hasn't looked that good overall.  He's actually been worse than I thought he'd be and I had some doubts about his injury so I wasn't necessarily expecting him to be incredible but to me he hasn't done it when it's mattered at all so far.  3 goals against Bolton, 2 against Burton and 2 against Birmingham.  Doesn't really leave much against the rest.

Would it surprise you to know that Britt this season has an inferior goals per minute ratio to Bamford a few season's back?  In fact, if Britt plays another 6 full games or so he will have played the same amount of time as Bamford did the whole of that season.  He's currently 5 goals behind him so he'd need 6 in 6 to surpass Bamford as it stands.  That's certainly not impossible but this idea of Britt being prolific is based upon what exactly?  He hasn't scored more than 15 at this level ever.  He's scored 12 goals this season in 26 games and he's played near enough every minute of them all - just over 100 mins of total time he hasn't been on the pitch this season and 40 mins of that was yesterday.

That season Bamford had for us he scored goals against Derby (both games), Norwich, Brentford, Ipswich & Wolves that I can think of who were a*** the better sides in the league that season and won us some penalties in those games as well.  Who has Britt done it against so far?  Not only that but Bamford had a handful of assists, Britt has no track record of assists and it's easy to see why when you watch him play.

I can't believe that anyone who watched Bamford that season and Britt this season thinks Britt is superior in any way.  It's not even close in my opinion.  However, we have to look at Bamford this season obviously and that's a different story of course.  It just seems weird to me how people talk Britt up when he really hasn't looked that good overall.  He's actually been worse than I thought he'd be and I had some doubts about his injury so I wasn't necessarily expecting him to be incredible but to me he hasn't done it when it's mattered at all so far.  3 goals against Bolton, 2 against Burton and 2 against Birmingham.  Doesn't really leave much against the rest.

No that doesn't surprise me at all, I actually agree with everything you've said about both players.

If Britt carries on his goal scoring record he will have over 20 goals for us, I would still describe that as pretty prolific though even if others don't.

What I remember of bamford that season was him being weak against the better defenders, I remember many on here saying he wasn't ready for a premiership loan for that exact reason.

Both Britt and Bamford have their talents. Why we can't use them both at the same time is a mystery.

My feeling is that Bamford scores more often than Britt when put in a goal scoring opportunity. If Bamford had played the same amount of games than Britt this season I am 100% convinced he would have more goals.

Unfortunately he will probably be sold in January which will be a massive mistake.

I just listed the goals he scored against the better sides?

Ipswich? Only just scraped the play offs.

Brentford were nothing special

Wolves? Didn't even make the play offs

Derby? Didn't even make the play offs

I'll give you Norwich he did well in the away game, awful in the play off final but apparently injured. Otherwise your clutching at straws. When it mattered against Watford and Bournemouth he was no where to be seen.

I'll give you Norwich he did well in the away game, awful in the play off final but apparently injured. Otherwise your clutching at straws. When it mattered against Watford and Bournemouth he was no where to be seen.

Those 4 teams you mention were 5th-9th, Norwich were 3rd. They’re hardly poor teams - especially compared to those Britt scored against this year...

That's a bit harsh, the Bournemouth away game was just a game too far for the whole team. We'd had a seriously tough week in the build up to that game and we got played off the pitch by a really good Bournemouth team.

The playoff final Bamford was also clearly injured, fair enough he did nowt at Watford away but it was another poor team performance where we were beaten by a better team. That season he led the line really well, I agree he maybe isn't a Premier league player but that's not the question anyway.

Your comparing a player on top form scoring goals 3 years ago to a player scoring goals this season. Would you have Darryl Murphy? He was even better than Bamford three years ago in a worse team. I'd rather have a player who has shown that he can score goals this season opposed to a player showing it three years ago. Players get worse even if they are young. History doesn't mean much when you pick your team today. Bamford hasn't impressed anyone in three years and it's a massive gamble to suddenly pin our hopes in him magically finding his form by making him first choice. 

Sure he looks classy when he is on the field but ineffective is the word that springs to my mind. And if he can't convince another manager to give him his chance at this time when Britt is off form, then I think we need to realize that he isn't the same Bamford we had those years ago. Like you I would love him to get back to his best with us, but I just struggle to see that happening.

I like Bamford but totally agree BD. Can't be remembering how good Bamford was 3 years ago and thinking he's the same player today, he isn't - he might get back to that, but he may not.

And as everyone knows I like a good stat, so looking at goals per minutes in the championship only they match up like this:

Bamford has 26 goals in 5174 minutes = goal every 199 minutes

Britt has 42 goals in 6523 minutes = goal every 155 minutes

And as no-one seems to be including him

Rudy has 38 in 5731 minutes = goal every 150 minutes!

I'd love Pulis to go in for Matt Phillips. Although he started the season as first choice he has been left out of their squad for 6 of their last 8 games. Maybe the new manager just doesn't fancy him. Seemed like a Pulis favourite when he was there. Probably a pipe dream though.

People are writing off Bamford because he's done nothing in 2 1/2 years. But in that time he hasn't had a consistent run of games either.

I could understand him being written off if he'd had a major injury or he was over 30 years old but he isn't.

The lad failed in the Premier league, fair enough but is it fair to judge him on that level? He's had six months in the Championship and hasn't set the world alight, is that down to Bamford or Monk? If we are writing players off based on the start of this season then Clayton is finished too.

I believe there is still a very good championship striker inside of him, it just needs the right manager to drag it out of him. I can't understand the thought that a 24 year old has his best days behind him it doesn't make sense.