oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

I also think Southgate was a much, much better leader than Woodgate, as far as I'm concerned our best captain of the past 15-16 years. Not that that's the only thing that makes a good manager by any means but I'd have expected more out of Southgate than Woodgate. I don't see him taking a first-team managerial role for some time either.

Gareth Southgate is the current England manager!

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, Southgate is the one inside the FA who is pushing through alot of the changes that are happening within coaching.

He wants to focus on the psychological side of things and developing English players being comfortable on the ball and in a variety of positions.

I think that the Boro job was too good for him to turn down, but Gibson shouldn't have offered it in the first place. He'll make a good manager I think.

It's more likely Pulis is on a good wage. To cover ourselves we haven't committed too much to it (18 month contract) but we should achieve promotion within that timescale. Then either we offer to extend his contract or we move on to a new manager.

It's more likely Pulis is on a good wage. To cover ourselves we haven't committed too much to it (18 month contract) but we should achieve promotion within that timescale. Then either we offer to extend his contract or we move on to a new manager.

Gives Pulis himself a good amount of time to figure out if he can continue beyond that contract too.

If woodgate was anywhere close to being manager he would have took over after monk left for that home game.

No-one is saying he is close at this moment, they're talking about in 18 months time after learning under Pulis.

Not that I think it will happen, but if someone had suggested to me in the January of 2005 that Gareth Southgate would be managing us in the Premier League 18 months on, I'd have laughed it off.

And Woodgate actually has coaching badges!

Woody as our next permanent manager?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Good one.

Anyone would think you had a irrational dislike of him

It's not irrational.

If Woody is our next permanent manager I will leave this forum for good, and that's a promise.

I really like Braithwaite but I can't help but think Pulis - for the winger options at least, would prefer more of powerful runner and crosser. At times Braithwaite has seemed on a different wavelength from the rest of the side. He seems far better suited to a side that has movement and creativity around him to play more possession based football. If it came down to a decision between selling Braithwaite in order to sign Oliver Burke, preferably on a permanent deal as opposed to a loan, then I'd probably take that as he'd be far better suited to us. With Bordeaux seemingly interesting in Braithwaite then it will give us an interest in the battle between ***nal, Tottenham etc for Malcolm as if they sell him for huge money - £40+ million is the rumoured price - then it would increase the likelihood of them putting in a big bid for Braithwaite. The rumoured £8 million, albeit at the end of a loan according to L'Equipe, will surely have to be a permanent and increase substantially if we're going to get tempted to sell him.

Pulis in his press releases makes me a little nervous, he constantly mentions a big squad and the fact gibbo has put alot of money into it. Does anyone think its possible we may not get a transfer this window just clearing out dead wood and cutting the wage bill?

My personal opinion is that Pulis is only here to look at the processes behind the scenes, which he has mentioned Gibson wants him to do and strip us back to a smaller more solid base with new processes in place ready for Woodgate to take over after Tony's 18 month contract is over

If we did get promoted that may changed but it's unlikely he'll want to be away from his family in Bournemouth too much longer than that.

I think we may see some loans and won't get permanent signings until the summer after offloading more players.

Like I say - just my opinion on what I think is happening.

I think you are taking Pulis's comment about assessing things behind the scenes far too literally and separate from the reality of us pulling off a coup in convincing an established Premier League manager like Pulis to drop into the Championship.