oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

Could see West Ham in for Clayton as well, they were sniffing around Schniederlin. If we were to sell Clayton, I'd much prefer is to sign a midfielder permanently rather than loan one in. There's no doubt that Clayton is a class defensive midfielder in this division though.

I think I'd wait until the summer with the permanent signing. Get a good loan in and then see where we are in the summer. Loan King if possible and see which league we will be playing in next season before buying.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Btw how about that Osborn fella from Forest. Seems to be a good talent. AK might be enticed to do some sort of swap deal if they haven't got enough money to buy Clayton. Osborn+cash for Clayton and Guediora. I might be wrong about Osborn though, but work is boring today...

@OxfordMailOUFC

Lots of speculation about a Marvin Johnson return on loan to #oufc. It's our understanding talk Utd had enquired about the winger is wide of the mark. We'll keep an eye on it.

Maybe they are getting him mixed up with Adam Clayton as neither seems to offer much :P

Clayton struggled in a two man midfield at the start of the Premier Leagu season as he couldn't deal with the movement of teams passing through him - that Tottenham at home game stands out, but when we switched to a three man midfielder he performed pretty well. He's good enough to play in one of the lesser Premier League teams who play a three man midfield.

Goal contribution is not the job of a holding midfielder.

Clayton struggled in a two man midfield at the start of the Premier Leagu season as he couldn't deal with the movement of teams passing through him -  that Tottenham at home game stands out, but when we switched to a three man midfielder he performed pretty well. He's good enough to play in one of the lesser Premier League teams who play a three man midfield.

Goal contribution is not the job of a holding midfielder.

I'd agree with this, Clayton is a top end Championship talent (in basically any formation) to lesser Premier league talent (with the right set up). 

Unless we have someone as good lined up (don't know much about Besic but his resume is decent and I do like King) I don't understand why we'd move him. 

I can't wait to see another half a season of Grant "Shoutyman" Leadbitter misplacing 5 yard passes everywhere.

Clayton's role has never been creative here. There was one exception I can remember under Karanka's stewardship which was the first game of last season, before De Roon got injured. De Roon was holding and Clayton appeared to be pushing on a bit more. Since then, I can't remember Clayton doing anything other than feeding the better players and I still think he's probably the best centre-mid we've had at the club in the Championship.

Rhys Williams pre injury was better, think leadbitter has probably been better over all aswell.

I think Clayton is hugely overrated and just can't see him going to the premiership, de roon struggled and he's a better player than Clayton.

Btw how about that Osborn fella from Forest. Seems to be a good talent. AK might be enticed to do some sort of swap deal if they haven't got enough money to buy Clayton. Osborn+cash for Clayton and Guediora. I might be wrong about Osborn though, but work is boring today...

Been a fan of Ben Osbourn's for a good few years. Very tidy player at this level. Wether Forest would allow him to go is another matter.

We have been dying for a left winger for over two years in my opinion. We reputedly lost out on Deulofeu at the end of summer 2016. Let's not even talk about January 2017. Last summer we get Johnson... I realise this nor any January is not the best market for it, but it's hard not to have sympathy with those who are complaining about our scouting department on this one. At the end of the day, every fan and his nan identified our weakness at LW 18 months ago at least.

Jack Harrison is an unknown quantity. I'm quietly hopeful, but he'll have to work hard to regain fitness and learn Pulis' system. He could easily be no better than Johnson though, or as incapable of playing on the left as Traore. We'll see...

I don’t believe for one minute that Karanka is interested in signing Guedioura, he didn’t want him at Boro, why would he want him at Forest?

Totally different leagues and different situations though. He didn't want Guedioura at a Boro team he was trying to keep in the PL.

He might want him for a Forest team that doesn't have much money (I think that's the case?) maybe they need midfielders, and they're likely to be in the Championship for another season or 2 - maybe he figures Guedioura would be a decent addition to his side in those circumstances.

Rhys Williams pre injury was better, think leadbitter has probably been better over all aswell.

I think Clayton is hugely overrated and just can't see him going to the premiership, de roon struggled and he's a better player than Clayton.

Interestingly, you know who often looked better than De Roon?

Yep, Clayton.

Not convinced Marten is a better player.

I would say Clayton was better in every aspect than De Roon except for heading... De Roon had no ball retention and was a "tough tackling CDM" who couldn't tackle anybody :D

Interestingly, you know who often looked better than De Roon?

Yep, Clayton.

Not convinced Marten is a better player.

I think it is unfair when we have to resort to fashion parades, besides what looks good on Adam may look awful on Marten ;)