• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

We have cleared some deadwood, but it's come at a tremendous financial loss. Thinking of the lack of strategy and fees wasted is painful and makes me sick.

What a massive glaring missed opportunity to strengthen what should have been out top priority, the left wing.

I just can't stress this enough. Traore, Downing, Bamford and Harrison all favour the right. We have no-one who can play effectively on the left. What the hell is wrong with us.

Tavernier was a young Academy prospect that could actually play there, but he's been sent out on loan. Johnson may as well have had his contract paid up and terminated, as I doubt he'll even make the bench.

There needs to be an deep root and branch inquest into transfer dealings at the club.

This is a systemic failure that needs addressing at the very top of the club's hierarchy.

Whilst I was deflated last night, I can see why Pulis has done what he's done.

Firstly, fair play for him not spending money for the sake of it. We have trimmed a squad of players he won't use. Why keep them here for the sake of it?

Braithewaite was never going to be used up top, or as a winger and he struggled in the CAM role - good riddance and never set the world alight.

Fletcher was poor. I needn't say any more. But it does highlight a waste of money from the recruitment side of things.

Forshaw will be missed, but mainly for fond memories of his goal in the last minute and being a good player to bring in. No point keeping a young player who wants to play first team football. Good profit on him of 2.5 million. He scored 2 goals whilst here.

Christie - the only sale that I question. To a play off rival i would have preferred to keep him. If Traore got injured he could do a job as right midfield. However, he doesn't fit the mould for a TP right back, I would have kept him as a just in case scenario.

Besic on loan, fair play. Don't know much about him to be honest so I can't really comment.

Likewise with Harrison, but surely we must rate him more than Johnson? Again, apart from YouTube clips, I have no idea.

Then the right back from Huddersfield, once again an unknown quantity. I hardly doubt he'll push Shotton out of the team, so a back up when needed.

I hope that our business here means we are gonna go big in the summer. Pulis given all the tools for his good January and a clear of of players he doesn't want. This is what happens when you have 3 managers in the space of 3 years.

Randolph

Shotton Ayala Gibson Friend

Traore Besic Howson Harrison

Downing

Rudy

The Echo reported that we missed out on a striker.

I wonder who it was?

I don't think it can have been that close, because there weren't even any whispers about strikers yesterday.

The only whisper striker wise I saw yesterday was that we were potentially rivalling Fulham for McGoldrick permanently but when Ipswich were scrambling for a loan to replace him they decided mid evening that they wouldn't be selling him.

We must have made Harrison and Man City certain promises about playing him so at least we get to look forward to his debut maybe he's the spark that will kick us on because we are going to keep games tight at the back and now we aren't relying solely on Adama to create the chances Harrison might turn into a key player who knows.

I know not everyone can be optimistic about things, and that not everyone will agree, but the constant toxicity/negativity is really a drag. About the only positive things on are the matchday threads before we actually kick off.

Anyway my thoughts on the window:

Christie out, Cranie in. Its clear that Pulis favours Traore right wing instead of Downing. Christie + Traore wouldnt work. Shotton + Downing wouldnt work. Cranie has pedigree in this league but isnt an attacking fullback. It's probably a reasonable deal considering we made money on Christie, but I would have preferred to see him coached into playing the role we need instead of getting rid so quick.

Guedioura/Forshaw out, Besic in. The rocket factory was a bit of a damp squib, and Forshaw never contributed a whole lot other than continuity passing (and that goal!). Forshaw doesnt suit a two man midfield and the less said about Guedioura the better. I wonder what expectation Besic has coming in though, because it looks like Leadbitter gets dropped and Clayton gets dropped-er if we stick with the 2 man midfield. Wait and see how this works out but Besic did look a good player before he got injured.

Fletcher/Braithwaite out, Harrison in. Fletcher needed a loan, that was obvious. He could still turn out to be a good player, he has the physical attributes and apparently is a determined and intelligent player, but he wasnt getting game time and his confidence was shot. Braithwaite, as mentioned elsewhere, was a very odd signing that never really suited our various formations (unless we played 3 strikers). It was a very strange deal to get him out though, loan plus a big hit on the fee we paid. If the situation was irretrievable then I guess better out than in, but if there is a negotiated purchase price already then that is truly odd - his value could rise or if we got to the Prem (slim chance I know) then he could interest other teams. Anyway Harrison in is a bit of a gamble due to the well documented lack of recent game time, the debate over lefty/righty, and genuine concerns over his quality. I see no winners in this set of deals unless Fletcher rediscovers his form at Sunderland.

It looks like we’ve addresed our problem in central midfield by bringing in Besic, that was an area that was highlighted by many before the window opened.

We’ve offloaded 2 of our 5 forwards, most fans agreed that we had too many strikers, Fletcher was derided by many, Braithwaite was a stopgap on the left who offered no more than Bamford. Braithwaite wasn’t happy with his role and teams were interested in him, I always thought he was a strange signing, right from the start. We’ve now signed a guy who wants to play on the left.

Christie, whilst good at going forward, often got caught out of position in defence. The amount of goals that we conceded at the far post under Monk was ridiculously high. When we signed him, no one was particularly impressed, now he’s gone, he’s freed up a place on the bench, he was never in Pulis’ plans, Shotton is.

The Rocket Factory never made any sense, now he’s gone too.

Forshaw was tidy but unspectacular.

So 5 players who rarely made the starting lineup, sold, 3 players, two of which could improve the balance and impetus of the team bought in.

You may not like what the club have done, but I hardly think it’s an indication that the club have given up the ghost, more an indication of Monk’s mistakes in the summer window.

Stop being so sensible. It will get you nowhere on here! :P

You’re right, can we talk about Jazz recommendations instead?

I think if we played Coltrane and Davis in the wide areas we would see a good deal of fluidity and groove that might help supporting the front man. Maybe stick Charlie Parker up there?

It looks like we’ve addresed our problem in central midfield by bringing in Besic, that was an area that was highlighted by many before the window opened.

We’ve offloaded 2 of our 5 forwards, most fans agreed that we had too many strikers, Fletcher was derided by many, Braithwaite was a stopgap on the left who offered no more than Bamford. Braithwaite wasn’t happy with his role and teams were interested in him, I always thought he was a strange signing, right from the start. We’ve now signed a guy who wants to play on the left.

Christie, whilst good at going forward, often got caught out of position in defence. The amount of goals that we conceded at the far post under Monk was ridiculously high. When we signed him, no one was particularly impressed, now he’s gone, he’s freed up a place on the bench, he was never in Pulis’ plans, Shotton is.

So 5 players who rarely made the starting lineup, sold, 3 players, two of which could improve the balance and impetus of the team bought in.

You may not like what the club have done, but I hardly think it’s an indication that the club have given up the ghost, more an indication of Monk’s mistakes in the summer window.

I think if we played Coltrane and Davis in the wide areas we would see a good deal of fluidity and groove that might help supporting the front man. Maybe stick Charlie Parker up there?

As long as we keep Cleo Lane away from the dressing room we’ll be fine. It would also be better not to gamble on Herb Alpert the perennial unused substitute, now he was a square peg in a round hole, man.

If we want to take a few risks, then Gillespie is probably the way forward, but he will need to be reigned in by the coaching staff, otherwise we might as well be playing with 10 men.

As long as we keep Cleo Lane away from the dressing room we’ll be fine. It would also be better not to gamble on Herb Alpert the perennial unused substitute, now he was a square peg in a round hole, man.

If we want to take a few risks, then Gillespie is probably the way forward, but he will need to be reigned in by the coaching staff, otherwise we might as well be playing with 10 men.

Lol, you crazy cats :)

I actually don't what boro are anymore.  Weirdest transfer day ever.  What's going on..

Calm down. 

We're in a trough at present, eventually we'll come out of it and peak again. For us fans it's the unpredictability of it all that makes it exciting. Anyway, cheer up there may be a peak next year.

Calm down?  I am calm..  I dont think there was a fearful word in my post..

My point is Boro seemed to have lost its identity a bit..  I'm sure I'm not the only one to be feeling a bit meh with how things.

Bit underwhelmed with our deadline transfer dealings, defender and a DM in, and a young player who needs match practice. One things for sure our strikers are going to have to hit form pretty quickly, because the goals from our midfield are like rocking horse manure, the midfield get a nose bleed if they set foot into the box. In a nutshell I think our transfer ins yesterday were *** poor.

Braithwaite has just confirmed that he left the club because of a change in management meant that several things changed and with the World Cup coming up he couldn't afford to be stuck on the bench so the next six months are very important.