oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

I think that's a bit of an oversimplified way of looking at it. Sometimes it is only because you sell or release a player that they become the player they can be. The obvious example is Pogba, but if you look at Everton, they signed Leighton Baines & Phil Jagielka for a combined £10m (and that's in 2007 prices), despite having both come through the academy there years before. 

So you could say that they wasted a lot of money there, but on the flipside, you could argue that those players found their footballing feet, and got 100-odd appearances they would have never have gotten at Everton, and returned as much better players than they would have been.

There is a reason that the big clubs in Spain tend to have buy-back clauses in the deals when they sell young players.

I'm not sure that Pogba is the obvious example, Tom.  He refused to sign a contract with Man Utd and left for Juventus.  It's not like Man Utd didn't want him and he dropped down to Rochdale before making his way up.  Man Utd wasted a huge sum of money and it was a ridiculous mistake.  Pogba's potential was there and it was their job to develop it. They didn't and it cost them well over £100m as a result.  Clubs in this country burn through money at an alarming rate and it's because of incompetence, not bad luck.  Youth development in this country is garbage and will continue to be while clubs are based around short-termism.

A better example is probably Ikechi Anya. He was Release by Oxford (twice) and Wycombe before signing for non-league Halesowen Town. Saw him play there a few times before moving on to Northampton and on into Spain, the Premiership, the Scottish National Team.

Sometimes young players just need to play regularly for a prolonged period and with continuity of personnel to find their feet. One step back to take two steps forward and all that.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't look that good at all when I watched them in cup games last season.

Hopefully there's no truth in this

Oh dear - Charlie has always been a goalscorer.  He is remarkably accurate.  I was at Bolton for a reserve/cup game and one of their stewards had noticed to.  On the kick in before the game he said to me he hasn't missed yet.  I'd always thought him a bit slow and cumbersome but I happened to be right in line and he was keeping up some quick lad looking for the cross and the chance.

He is an excellent header of the ball - Aston Villa in the kids cup quarter final, he'd been kicked up and down hill by this man -mountain of a centre back.  He got one chance and took it

Young Armstrong has played 3 league sides this season and scored against each one why wouldn't he be on clubs radar.  He looks clumbsy and wasteful but he gets results and against better sides not the weak and ineffective ones

Whether Charlie is worth £5M is another argument but don't write him off as rubbish,  he isn't

Your opinion, your probably one of them that knows him or family members and feel the need to be ultra defensive. Either that or one of them that goes over the top about someone because they are local and doing ok.

He just looked your typical lower league striker to me, average first touch, good at holding it up and causing a bit of bother from high balls into the box.

I'd prefer Jordan hugill any day.

I'm pretty sure it was the Echo that had Braithwaite being back playing the following weekend when he got injured earlier in the season and the Gazette that had him out for a while. I'm not sure the Echo are especially well informed about what's going on at the club. I'm not sure anyone is at the moment.

The Echo get all the scoops from the club, so if they say Wyke won't be coming this month, you can be fairly sure it's not happening.

The same Echo who said Karanka was off to Palace about half an hour before we announced him? :P

I'm pretty sure it was the Echo that had Braithwaite being back playing the following weekend when he got injured earlier in the season and the Gazette that had him out for a while. I'm not sure the Echo are especially well informed about what's going on at the club. I'm not sure anyone is at the moment.

This. Just because the Gazette are now unreliable people seem to assume that the Echo must've become more reliable when the reality is they're the same as they've always been, distant.

Yeah fair point about Pogba, CT.

Just remember a lot of people laughing at Man United at the time for re-signing a player they could have kept.

I think the point about Baines and Jagielka is valid though.

Yeah fair point about Pogba, CT.

Just remember a lot of people laughing at Man United at the time for re-signing a player they could have kept.

I think the point about Baines and Jagielka is valid though.

United could've kept Pogba, he wanted guarantees of first team football and a big wage increase, Fergie offered him what he thought he was worth and gave no assurances over game time.

The Echo get all the scoops from the club, so if they say Wyke won't be coming this month, you can be fairly sure it's not happening.

The same Echo who said Karanka was off to Palace about half an hour before we announced him? :P

Until I see an announcement from Boro officially. I will believe nothing from Gazette or Echo. Load of bull!

Oh dear - Charlie has always been a goalscorer.  He is remarkably accurate.  I was at Bolton for a reserve/cup game and one of their stewards had noticed to.  On the kick in before the game he said to me he hasn't missed yet.  I'd always thought him a bit slow and cumbersome but I happened to be right in line and he was keeping up some quick lad looking for the cross and the chance.

He is an excellent header of the ball - Aston Villa in the kids cup quarter final, he'd been kicked up and down hill by this man -mountain of a centre back.  He got one chance and took it

Young Armstrong has played 3 league sides this season and scored against each one why wouldn't he be on clubs radar.  He looks clumbsy and wasteful but he gets results and against better sides not the weak and ineffective ones

Whether Charlie is worth £5M is another argument but don't write him off as rubbish,  he isn't

Your opinion, your probably one of them that knows him or family members and feel the need to be ultra defensive. Either that or one of them that goes over the top about someone because they are local and doing ok.

He just looked your typical lower league striker to me, average first touch, good at holding it up and causing a bit of bother from high balls into the box.

Lets get one out of the way to start with.  I do not know Charlie personally nor his family but I have seen him play many times.

I would not comment on Hugill as whilst I know his record I've not seen him play.

I do see a fair amount of our lower sides.  I see relatively few first team games by comparison.  I didn't regard my comments as defensive in any way.  I did however try to point out that young Mr Wyke is in my opinion a better player that you seem to think he is.

Just look what happened to Carlisle when he left as another example

Lets get one out of the way to start with.  I do not know Charlie personally nor his family but I have seen him play many times.

I would not comment on Hugill as whilst I know his record I've not seen him play.

I do see a fair amount of our lower sides.  I see relatively few first team games by comparison.  I didn't regard my comments as defensive in any way.  I did however try to point out that young Mr Wyke is in my opinion a better player that you seem to think he is.

To be honest LinoJo, I'm not sure why you've got the tone you have in that reply? It reads as a petty "you don't agree with my assessment I've made of a player based on a handful of games, therefore you must have an agenda..."

You made your point fairly, Rishy made his fairly... not sure why you went for the jugular man...

Lets get one out of the way to start with.  I do not know Charlie personally nor his family but I have Masturbated over him many times.

To be honest LinoJo, I'm not sure why you've got the tone you have in that reply? It reads as a petty "you don't agree with my assessment I've made of a player based on a handful of games, therefore you must have an agenda..."

You made your point fairly, Rishy made his fairly... not sure why you went for the jugular man...

Tbh it was the 'oh dear' he started his post with, I don't normally get triggered but he just gave off the whole 'you think he's *** just because he's in league 1' crap you always get when you say a league 1 player is ***.

Plus I don't get where the hype has came from, as I said I think he's just an average league 1 player who might do ok in the championship. If he wasn't from the area I think the rumour would have been given a totally different response than it's got.