oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

Middlesbrough are hoping to persuade Everton to let Mo Besic join them on loan before the transfer window closes

http://www.teamtalk.com/news/exclusive-middlesbrough-in-talks-over-everton-loan-swoop

Clayton struggled in a two man midfield at the start of the Premier Leagu season as he couldn't deal with the movement of teams passing through him - that Tottenham at home game stands out, but when we switched to a three man midfielder he performed pretty well. He's good enough to play in one of the lesser Premier League teams who play a three man midfield.

Goal contribution is not the job of a holding midfielder.

Spurs walked all over us that afternoon :D Terrible example

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from Traore none of the players behind the striker offer anything.

Agree with this bit; Downing has been overrated for months now and on the left we keep square-pegging strikers into left-wing roles.

I despair sometimes.

As long as we don’t lose any of the following today I will be happy. Randolph Shotton Gibbo Ayala Howson Traore Downing. Anyone else I’m not overly fussed about.

I'd be happy to lose Downing today if we replaced him with someone who produced assists or goals.  For all the talk of his renaissance, he still isn't creating or scoring goals and I for one am just as underwhelmed as when he returned to us in 2015.

he has the joint most assists this season and far and away the most key passes per game of any of our players.

our entire offence runs through him, as Tom said.

Yes but how many of those assists came when he had the partnership with Christie on the right? Doesn't he also take most our set pieces?

Downing in general has been a huge disappointment however I'll agree this season he's been very very good on the right with Christie. They complemented each other well hiding each others weaknesses.

With the emergence of Traore and Shotten that won't be happening anytime soon and for me Downing played as our number 10 or on the left is just not the same player. I agree with Teapot that he doesn't offer anywhere near enough offensively to play as one of the 3 behind.

I'd personally be up for trying him alongside Howson, especially if we fail to get someone in. But he stifles us taking the number 10 role.

Downing is still a really talented footballer and I wouldn't want rid of him but does he score and create enough for a number 10?

He's probably the best we have at the moment for that position but does he do enough for a team looking to get promoted? He certainly doesn't have the impact that Ramirez had in that role.

Anyone expecting any surprises or will Mo Besic be the only signing should that one go through?

Besic and a left sided player if Fabio goes.

Agree with this bit; Downing has been overrated for months now and on the left we keep square-pegging strikers into left-wing roles.

I disagree. Everything goes through Downing, and he has to drop deep because the two CMs don't really move forward with the ball. He isn't really an 'attacking' player in the way Ramirez was, but he is integral to the way we play. He does need more from whoever is playing on the left though.

He's playing the number 10 role.  How many goals and assists does he have?

I disagree. Everything goes through Downing, and he has to drop deep because the two CMs don't really move forward with the ball. He isn't really an 'attacking' player in the way Ramirez was, but he is integral to the way we play. He does need more from whoever is playing on the left though.

1 goal 4 assists 2 key passes per game (nearly double our next regular starter).

How many chances has he created is a much more pertinent statistic.

How many chances has he created is a much more pertinent statistic.

squawka gives him 38 created in 22 games.