oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

Apart from Traore none of the players behind the striker offer anything.

Agree with this bit; Downing has been overrated for months now and on the left we keep square-pegging strikers into left-wing roles.

I disagree. Everything goes through Downing, and he has to drop deep because the two CMs don't really move forward with the ball. He isn't really an 'attacking' player in the way Ramirez was, but he is integral to the way we play. He does need more from whoever is playing on the left though.

He's playing the number 10 role.  How many goals and assists does he have?

1 goal 4 assists 2 key passes per game (nearly double our next regular starter).

I'm not saying that he isn't better than our next best player.  I'm saying 1 goal and 4 assists in 22 games is not good enough for any of the 3 positions behind the striker in a 4231.  I think anyone who thinks we are scoring enough goals is deluded.  Downing is part of that problem, regardless of how much better he is than the rest of the team.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Apart from Traore none of the players behind the striker offer anything.

Agree with this bit; Downing has been overrated for months now and on the left we keep square-pegging strikers into left-wing roles.

I disagree. Everything goes through Downing, and he has to drop deep because the two CMs don't really move forward with the ball. He isn't really an 'attacking' player in the way Ramirez was, but he is integral to the way we play. He does need more from whoever is playing on the left though.

How many chances has he created is a much more pertinent statistic.

Downing has created 41 chances, in comparison to the others you'd expect to contribute, Traore 16, Howson 28, Braithwaite 17 and Bamford 11.

1 goal 4 assists 2 key passes per game (nearly double our next regular starter).

I'm not saying that he isn't better than our next best player.  I'm saying 1 goal and 4 assists in 22 games is not good enough for any of the 3 positions behind the striker in a 4231.  I think anyone who thinks we are scoring enough goals is deluded.  Downing is part of that problem, regardless of how much better he is than the rest of the team.

38 chances created in 22 games isn't bad, as stated that's probably a better figure- ultimately it's not his fault if players fail to score off his pass.

Pulis not expecting any more players coming in but isn't fully ruling it out if the right player is available

Great. Let's rely on an unfit MLS youngster and one of our negative partners for Howson. Bah, just feel so pessimistic right now.

Pulis not expecting any more players coming in but isn't fully ruling it out if the right player is available

Great. Let's rely on an unfit MLS youngster and one of our negative partners for Howson. Bah, just feel so pessimistic right now.

I am really hoping this is just all noise so that people don't think we're panicking. I can't believe we won't get anyone else in.

Surely this can only be from his interview last night? The one where he said maybe one or two loans in?

Surely this can only be from his interview last night? The one where he said maybe one or two loans in?

Hasn't he got a history of getting a few players in on deadline day. 

Seem to remember Stoke often doing late ones. 

I wouldn't be surprised if there was a surprise signing. More hope than anything though.

Denmark international Viktor Fischer has returned to his homeland after completing a transfer to FC Copenhagen from Mainz.

The 23-year-old only joined the German side in the summer from Middlesbrough.

Denmark international Viktor Fischer has returned to his homeland after completing a transfer to FC Copenhagen from Mainz.

The 23-year-old only joined the German side in the summer from Middlesbrough.

Crikey. Guess he's not had a good time there either. Hope he finds his feet again at Copenhagen.