oneBoro Forum

January 2018 Transfer Thread AKA The Morning After *Thread Closes at 9pm*

I think in January we will be looking for a left sided player, either braithwaite will go or he will play in a front 4 of him, Britt, new guy and traore if he keeps impressing pulis. just realised I've forgot downing haha.

Or we could go with a 3 of either braithwaite/new guy, Britt and traore with a midfield 3 of downing, Howson and a new guy behind. I'd personally like this set up but not sure I could see pulis going for it.

Either way I think our focus for January will be on a centre mid and sorting the left side, I think shotton will be enough at rb if he doesn't fancy Christie, specially if traore is in front of him.

Where does Downing play in that front four situation?

Why do you think Assombalonga will be here at the end of January when he has been subbed in each of the last 3 games?

I alnowledged that I'd left downing out, you'd have noticed if you read it all.

And assombalonga was a huge investment for the club and is our top scorer by some distance. Replacing him would be a massive job specially in January and when we have other areas that are higher priority.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I just can’t agree that Bamford is the best striker at the club. The lad has had one good season in the championship in his career three years ago. Since then numerous managers hasn’t seen anything in him. He could probably have been a very good player if he had taken a different path but he has gone backwards a lot. I just don’t think he has it in him to get back on the path that looked so promising three years ago.

Names that have been mentioned on here: Charlie Adam, James Morrison, Chris Brunt - All free agents this summer. Mozza and Brunt have detention options, but neither has featured extensively this season.

Robert Huth, too... 33, but could be worth a 2 year deal. Played under Pulis as a vital ingredient of his system at at Stoke. Knows the Boro.

Names that have been mentioned on here: Charlie Adam, James Morrison, Chris Brunt - All free agents this summer. Mozza and Brunt have detention options, but neither has featured extensively this season.

Robert Huth, too... 33, but could be worth a 2 year deal. Played under Pulis as a vital ingredient of his system at at Stoke. Knows the Boro.

Don’t know how many of those are realistic but Huth would be perfect. And James Morrison would be better than what we have if he would play central midfield.

Britt is having a poor run of form, but he's still on track to be our best ever league scorer.. A lot of the Bamford talk is nostalgic over-sentimentality, the same people who can't think of Boro without Clayton or want Dimi in goal..

Britt is having a poor run of form, but he's still on track to be our best ever league scorer.. A lot of the Bamford talk is nostalgic over-sentimentality, the same people who can't think of Boro without Clayton or want Dimi in goal..

I disagree completely, we've seen Bamford do it in this league not so long ago. He isn't injury prone, washed up and he hasn't lost his pace. He's still a young lad with the best years of his career ahead of him.

It's nothing like pining for an old man like Dimi to play.

Bamford has had two and a bit years have having the *** kicked out of him, mentally speaking. His confidence is clearly shot to pieces. He had 18 months of getting nowhere after he left us, then got a move here which must have felt like winning the lottery from his point of view - manager that rates him, club he knows where he's done well - only for that to get him absolutely nowhere. Rather than building up his confidence Karanka did what he had a tendency to do and obliterated the lad publicly, throwing him under a bus with a long line of Boro players because he had pressure on himself. I'm not surprised he is as he is sadly, he might never get back to where he was, which is a shame for him.

In terms of ability he's the best striker at the club. Better movement than Britt and Gestede, more composed than Britt and Gestede, better technically than Britt and Gestede and is a better finisher overall than Britt and Gestede.

Fletcher isn't at their level at the moment, one day perhaps he will be as he does have some ability and some natural strengths (speed for one). Bamford is a striker, not a wide attacking player or number 10. Fletcher you can see playing through the middle or out wide so he has a bit more versatility and that could help him. Comparing the seasons they've had is fair enough when thinking about selecting a side for a match but I'm not sure it's a fair reflection of their overall ability. However, Bamford isn't playing to his ability so that has to be noted of course.

We have too many strikers either way so something will have to give and I suspect it will be Bamford.

I wouldn’t want to lose bamford as there is a very good player in there somewhere. And we wouldn’t get anywhere near our money back. We need to loan him somewhere he will play every game then at the end of the season we will know if we have the old bamford back or if he’s been broken permanantly

On track to be our best ever league scorer???  He's not even close.

Disagree about bamford and Clayton but your spot on with Britt. He’s odds on to be our first forward to score 20+ goals since Bernie and we are putting him down all the time

It seems like norwich are still in a bit of financial trouble and are expecting one or two of maddison, murphy and pritchard to be sold.

From looking at their forum they expect maddison to go for big money to the pl if he's sold, so i can't see us being after him, and i don't know whether pritchard would want to play for pulis again after his wasted loan at wba, but i'd hope we were in for murphy again.

I disagree completely, we've seen Bamford do it in this league not so long ago. He isn't injury prone, washed up and he hasn't lost his pace. He's still a young lad with the best years of his career ahead of him.

It's nothing like pining for an old man like Dimi to play.

Yup, spot on Duvel.

Fact is we as Boro fans know what he can do more than anyone else. We seen him at his best. If he had been absolute dog ***e all the time when he played for us since returning then people wouldn't be stupid enough to ignore it. But he hasn't. People are equating not being on course for another 19 goal season as to being 'past his best' or 'a one season wonder'. Nah.

Also, people can see Boro without Clayton. We have been for weeks for goodness sakes. We also know how valuable of a player he is. He was one of few who actually could have done it in the Prem with better players in front of him. Think because people don't want to sell one of the best midfielders the Championship has seen in the past 3 years to a bloody promotion rival that it means we can't see a Boro side without him. Christ almighty.

Ripley going to Bury on loan

Shame it hasn't worked out for him at Burton.  I'd hoped it would give him some good Championship experience, but Bywater probably isn't the easiest goalkeeper to oust from the first-choice spot..

Disagree about bamford and Clayton but your spot on with Britt. He’s odds on to be our first forward to score 20+ goals since Bernie and we are putting him down all the time

Sorry Rich but when any other player stops pulling their weight then you speak about it and I suspect the manager does too. Fantastic that he's scored the goals he has already, nobody is gonna forget that in a hurry but he's absolutely gone off the boil and Pulis knows it. When has he ever been subbed off at the time he was yesterday before? You'd tend to keep a striker who you can guarantee goals from on the pitch as they'll just find a way to put it in the net out of nothing. But having him on the pitch yesterday was utterly detrimental to us in the game as he simply wasn't making the runs and wasn't pressing the defenders often enough. He's not the best at holding the ball up at the club so if nothing's gonna stick, you need him to be giving the defenders a run around.

I'd also say that because we know what Britt is capable of, we know he can do better. The goals he's scored doesn't completely absolve him of the poor performances recently, in fact it's more likely to get spotted than if it was Fletcher, Bamford or Gestede.

Said it before, I know Britt didn't quite get the support yesterday or against Villa. But there was absolutely no pressure on the ball from the front, particularly against Preston in that first half. Those defenders had the easiest half of football they're likely to have barring the Ayala goal. It was like Britt wasn't even there.