oneBoro Forum

Boro V Millwall (A) 1-2 (Downing)

Must win game. No excuses. Have to build on the decent last performance.

Gah! My most hated phrase strikes again!

But it is. More or less. We simply cannot lose any more ground on teams above us.

No, it's really not. The top 2 is already out of the question for us and losing this game won't mean that the playoffs are impossible. 

If it really is must win, what do we do when don't win this one? Give up? And if we do does it mean the next game is must win too? 

Calling it must win is basically saying that we need to win every single game for the rest of the season, which isn't true. Otherwise we could lose this one and win the rest and this game really wouldn't matter.

Sorry, rant over, that phrase just gets to me!

Are you saying the team is not good enough,

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Must win game. No excuses. Have to build on the decent last performance.

Gah! My most hated phrase strikes again!

But it is. More or less. We simply cannot lose any more ground on teams above us.

No, it's really not. The top 2 is already out of the question for us and losing this game won't mean that the playoffs are impossible. 

If it really is must win, what do we do when don't win this one? Give up? And if we do does it mean the next game is must win too? 

Calling it must win is basically saying that we need to win every single game for the rest of the season, which isn't true. Otherwise we could lose this one and win the rest and this game really wouldn't matter.

Sorry, rant over, that phrase just gets to me!

Are you saying the team is not good enough,

We are definitely good enough, we have a good squad and theres been signs we are close to clicking - every game is a "must win" but its an over used term - I'm pretty sure each game is a must win at Man City and the likes too.   What is important is we find a settled team and some consistency - I'm hoping for a hard fought 2-0 today.

The team isn't good enough for automatic promotion no. We've proven that over the course of the season.

That's not to say we don't have talented enough players, but with the coaching, tactics, motivation, squad cohesiveness and gaps in certain areas of the team factored in then no we're not good enough, if we were we'd be closer to the top than we are.

The team isn't good enough for automatic promotion no. We've proven that over the course of the season.

That's not to say we don't have talented enough players, but with the coaching, tactics, motivation, squad cohesiveness and gaps in certain areas of the team factored in then no we're not good enough, if we were we'd be closer to the top than we are.

maybe I worded it wrong because I agree with you, theoretically we are good enough but for reasons unknown we just aren't showing what we should be capable of.

For my moneys worth Monk never inspired me as new coach and still doesn't, I felt we needed a Warnock to get us organised and fighting with purpose.

Have the team proven they are not good enough or has Monk proven he's not good enough?

Have the team proven they are not good enough or has Monk proven he's not good enough?

I wonder how many managers in the championship would swap their squad with ours?

Team = good enough

Monk = ??????

Well we have a pretty good record against Millwall and supposingly we have a better team this time. SO ANYTHING but a win would be a disaster. I have no idea which BORO will turn up and that is the crux of the problem. These games will determine if Monk stays and investment come transfere window.

People say Monk doesn't know his best 11, but I can't remember a season where I've heard the team is unchanged as often as this.

Player wise I don’t think we’ve had too many changes either but tactically and motivationally we’ve been very inconsistent.

People say Monk doesn't know his best 11, but I can't remember a season where I've heard the team is unchanged as often as this.

I agree that probably 9 of the 11 he knows his best. The problem is that he doesn’t appear to have figured out the other two yet. I guess that is why people acccuse him on not knowing his best team. Nobody has grabbed the left side of the attacking 3 yet, and to a lesser extent Howson’s partner in midfield. The rest more or less ‘pick themselves’ as the saying goes.