oneBoro Forum

Are we getting what we deserve? AKA Be careful what you wish for.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

There have been some very intelligent points made on this thread, and no doubt I’m going to spoil all that.

Although a Karanka fan, the issues that he had with the players and club were impossible to ignore. Sadly, he had to go.

However, was it the right moment to sack him, with only Steve Agnew to replace him? And we were nearing the end of the season. I think the answer to that is no. It would have been wiser to allow him the chance to complete the season and possibly secure us survival in the Prem. Not very likely, I’ll admit, but there was no chance of that with Agnew.

This is not the first time such a thing has happened. Famously, Southgate was sacked when we were actually in fourth place and had just beaten Derby 2-0. Another rookie who was not really given enough of a chance. And where is he now? England manager, that’s where.

But what it boils down to for me at any rate is the decision to sack a manager might be taken for the right reasons but the timing is sometimes woeful. Is this Gibbo bowing to fan pressure? Only he knows that.

As to Monk, if he is going to be sacked, now is the time to do it. We can probably forget promotion this season anyway but at the halfway point a new manager might well stand some sort of chance. It’s a gamble, but that’s what football is all about anyway.

To be honest I was using the figures to point out why I am confused by Steve Gibsons decision making, a few people on here have voiced opinions on Karanka and i for one certainly think we were in much better hands before his melt down. I made quite a few points about Steve Gibson but its the points about Karanka (probably because most of this forum wanted him out anyway) that seem to be the focus of replies. I picked up the flow from other threads where people are talking new manager, whos fault etc. so I just put together a load of questions on our past year which are floating around in my mind.

I'm not advocating AK coming back, I'm not advocating sacking monk but I do have doubts about Steve  Gibsons decision making and I know people on here are closer to the club than me and might add their bit.

I think the questions you asked in the second part were more than reasonable for what it's worth.  Some of the decisions we've made recently definitely warrant some questioning in my opinion and by extension I guess we are questioning Gibson.

Excellent thread Randy and some well thought out posts by all. We need Brian Clough to resurrect himself and finally come and take over the Boro. Or someone of his ilk who knows what he's doing and takes complete control of the playing staff

It was definitely the right decision to sack Karanka, the wheels were coming off long before the decision for him to go was taken and Gibson should have been putting the feelers out for a new manager well before that. The problem we have as a club is we act a bit amateurish at times.

It was definitely the right decision to sack Karanka, the wheels were coming off long before the decision for him to go was taken and Gibson should have been putting the feelers out for a new manager well before that. The problem we have as a club is we act a bit amateurish at times.

thats one of my points - Gibson should have been all over it but was he?

We do stuff that makes you think we really are a slick unit then we do stuff that just leaves you completely scratching your head and i believe "Amateurish" is a good word for summing us up.

We do stuff that makes you think we really are a slick unit then we do stuff that just leaves you completely scratching your head and i believe "Amateurish" is a good word for summing us up.

If we had 'likes', I would 'like' this. Why don't we have 'likes'?

Have you all ever considered we might be exactly where the Chairman wants us top half championship, ground fullish every week,getting to the Premier league and struggle every week,wage bill through the roof, just saying like

Have you all ever considered we might be exactly where the Chairman wants us top half championship, ground fullish every week,getting to the Premier league and struggle every week,wage bill through the roof, just saying like

Can't see that being the case Barnaby. The astronomical TV money in the Premier league easily pays inflated wages. Just look at how much we earned for being relegated. The longer you stay there the more you get. I sincerely doubt that SG wants us to be a mid table championship team

No, because that'd be silly.

We are were we belong until we get a decent experienced manager and a chairman that backs his manager to the hilt,and buys the players that the manager wants not what him and his director of football want.

Until then we will continue to be fodder for the big teams in the championship.

Christ.

CT summed it up, if fans don't see an improvement then they vote with their feet, so the ground becomes 14 to 15 thousand supporters with eventually the chairman having to dig deep to keep the club afloat. Gibbo has been supporting this club since he was a kid, so a supporter well before he was the chairman, so I don't believe anyone on here would seriously consider what you've posted.

CT summed it up, if fans don't see an improvement then they vote with their feet, so the ground becomes 14 to 15 thousand supporters with eventually the chairman having to dig deep to keep the club afloat. Gibbo has been supporting this club since he was a kid, so a supporter well before he was the chairman, so I don't believe anyone on here would seriously consider what you've posted.

I don't think that Steve gibson would purposely hold us in the position we are in but this "dig deep" stuff irks me, unless I'm mistaken every penny  Gibson had to invest from his finances outside the club he has had paid back to him, if the amounts we received in reports were true then the last 18 months have been the best financially we've ever had at the club - I can only go on what I read and hear but this "digging deep" like he gets a second mortgage on his home or sells one of the kids bikes does my head in. He didn't even put the money in to save the club originally, he got a guy who owned an envelope company to bail us out then basically once we were saved Gibson removed the guy who'd saved us from the board in a "forced takeover".

So no - Gibbo wouldn't purposely keep us where we are for business reasons - but don't ever forget hes a business man and businessmen don't become multi millionaires by being nice to people and giving their money away to football clubs - that I know for certain.

I will also add to that - how badly is our club being run then, if as you stated the crowds drop and the first thing we have to do is send Steve gibson home to open the kids piggy bank? don't you think after  all his time as chairman we would have things in place so that we are financially sound and don't need outside contributions?

Imagine his lass - "hi love I just need a daft 12 mil out of the bank for the club" 

"Again? how many times is this now Steve - do you actually know what you are doing? This was meant to be a business investment and all you do is keep giving our savings to the club, whos in charge of finances there? cos they obviously are over paid and need sacking in my book, are you sure its for the club or are you gambling or something?"!!

Because I'm not being funny but 30 years running the club and if theres a lull in crowds the club needs Gibbo to "dig deep" - that is scary if its the case.