oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

erm i disagree completely. we are doing okay, just outside the playoffs. but the zombie's wont be happy unless we win 5-0 every week. even though we had a garbage record breaking top flight season and have a major squad overhaul in the summer. 

honestly, are you disappointed because we are not in the top two? or are you more bothered about looking good?

because karanka had winning ugly down to a tee for 2/3 years. because we were always there or there abouts nobody cared.

now monk has us struggling a bit considering our squad. but if we were top 2 nobody would give a monkeys how we played, but now its a thing.

delusional if anyone thinks the performances are the main concern over the results.

More rubbish and pretty patronising aswell. You're clearly well out of touch with how other fans are feeling.

maybe so. or maybe i was reacting to some who shot down my reasoning attempt as ''a load of garbage'' and a little patronizing tone slipped into my reply.

s this more to the main stream opinion?;

i'm losing interest in football altogether. i want to like it, i hope boro can somehow respark the fire(karanka had promise, but failed). 

but i know deep in my heart they wont. i knew deep down we had absolutely no chance of getting straight back up after the utter shambles of last season(looks like my heart was right).

i didnt want monk at all. (reminds me of southgate) i like him, like i liked sgate at first. he's saying the right things, seems to be trying to do the right things. but in deep in my heart i think he will fail. i hope i'm wrong. also to add of the similarity that both teams showed a lack of discipline, now individual errors have come back big style. i think this is why my heart says monk will fail, the players are not giving 100% its like karanka the strict teacher has gone and a stand in has turned up and the kids are taking the mick out of him. if we got a new man in asap who the players respected we'd get better instantly.

For what it's worth Kev I far preferred reading your honest opinion and think it relates badly on others who feel entitled to bully you into submission

No one is bullying him into submission, he calls anyone that criticises Monk delusional/zombies not happy unless we win 5-0/plastic fans etc.

You can't have a reasoned debate with someone like that. I said yesterday the critics are forced to argue every single point to the nth degree before anyone will even listen to them. Then in return you get called a plastic fan, its the last defence of someone, just destroy the argument by calling them delusional or not a proper fan.

Some members of this board are so far out of touch with the majority of Boro fans. Talk to fans on Teesside or look at the replies to Gazette articles on social media. A large majority are seriously not happy with Monk. They are real fans who go to the game not people who should be just ignored.

I'm not gonna argue about this anymore, I'll leave it there.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what any club in the world does. There will always be hate on social media. That doesn't mean they can't be ignored, but .. I'd be very hesitant to measure the general vibe of any public reaction based on 5-20 comments on Facebook/Gazette - especially when it comes to sports. 

The whole plastic fan thing is ridiculous anyway. Can someone actually be a plastic fan of Boro? If so, then I am definitely one. I've seen two live - in person - Boro matches in my entire life.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

More rubbish and pretty patronising aswell. You're clearly well out of touch with how other fans are feeling.

maybe so. or maybe i was reacting to some who shot down my reasoning attempt as ''a load of garbage'' and a little patronizing tone slipped into my reply.

s this more to the main stream opinion?;

i'm losing interest in football altogether. i want to like it, i hope boro can somehow respark the fire(karanka had promise, but failed). 

but i know deep in my heart they wont. i knew deep down we had absolutely no chance of getting straight back up after the utter shambles of last season(looks like my heart was right).

i didnt want monk at all. (reminds me of southgate) i like him, like i liked sgate at first. he's saying the right things, seems to be trying to do the right things. but in deep in my heart i think he will fail. i hope i'm wrong. also to add of the similarity that both teams showed a lack of discipline, now individual errors have come back big style. i think this is why my heart says monk will fail, the players are not giving 100% its like karanka the strict teacher has gone and a stand in has turned up and the kids are taking the mick out of him. if we got a new man in asap who the players respected we'd get better instantly.

For what it's worth Kev I far preferred reading your honest opinion and think it relates badly on others who feel entitled to bully you into submission

No one is bullying him into submission, he calls anyone that criticises Monk delusional/zombies not happy unless we win 5-0/plastic fans etc.

You can't have a reasoned debate with someone like that. I said yesterday the critics are forced to argue every single point to the nth degree before anyone will even listen to them. Then in return you get called a plastic fan, its the last defence of someone, just destroy the argument by calling them delusional or not a proper fan.

Some members of this board are so far out of touch with the majority of Boro fans. Talk to fans on Teesside or look at the replies to Gazette articles on social media. A large majority are seriously not happy with Monk. They are real fans who go to the game not people who should be just ignored.

I'm not gonna argue about this anymore, I'll leave it there.

Honestly, it doesn't matter what any club in the world does. There will always be hate on social media. That doesn't mean they can't be ignored, but .. I'd be very hesitant to measure the general vibe of any public reaction based on 5-20 comments on Facebook/Gazette - especially when it comes to sports. 

The whole plastic fan thing is ridiculous anyway. Can someone actually be a plastic fan of Boro? If so, then I am definitely one. I've seen two live - in person - Boro matches in my entire life.

I live and work in Middlesbrough, I stand in the concourse and have a drink at half time and drink in the pubs. I talk to Boro fans every day with my job, I listen to the phone-in after the match. It isn't just a handful of fans on Facebook who are unhappy.

I know fmttm is sneered at on this board but the majority on there are anti Monk now, I always found that pretty split with previous managers.

Im not sure if some people on this board understand the discontent at the moment. I know that there's a contingent of southern based fans on here maybe that's why.

Just read the Gazette articles, even glass half full people like Anthony Vickers are very critical. It isn't just a handful of 'trolls' like me.

Im split at the minute, i think any manager should be given time but with the sales we made and the reinvestment in the team we have made, im absolutely fuming with the way we are playing even when we won those games against,Reading,Hull and Birmingham i thought we will get torched against anyone decent. I think the Derby game was a shambles i won't blame Monk for the individual mistakes but if we lose 2/3 out of the next 4 games he has to go. We have bought too many strikers and not enough creative players. All i want is too watch Boro have a go at teams come out the blocks and score some goals! None of this slow starting lack of internsity, under Monk this probably won't happen. Gibson and the board will privately be dissapointed they have too be. Automatic Promotion was the target and thats not happening , i think play offs is looking uncertain at the minute. Monk has spent more money than another manager in our history and its a bloody shambles.

To be fair Duvel, don't think many people are doubting that there's discontent on Teesside, and it's a bit of an unfair suggestion that those that don't live in Boro are out of touch with the general consensus.

Going to the games, drinking in the pubs and discussing with reasonable people does give you a good idea, I agree with you there. But social media for me isn't a good reflection at all. You obviously get normal opinions, but some of the stuff I see on Facebook and Twitter is embarrassing, and a lot of people produce big negative statements to self-promote and to gain followers like that tosser pinkponce.

It's also the case that people who are unhappy are definitely the ones that shout the loudest, and this is very indicative of social media. For as much hate of Monk that there is, and the way things are at the moment, I bet there's an equal amount of people who don't necessarily love what Monk's doing but are happy enough to give him a bit of time and see what happens. These people though are commonly less vocal on here, social media, and the phone-ins.

I don't think I've ever called you a 'troll' or anything for your opinion, as there's usually good reasoning behind it.

There are however just general trolls who shout 'MONK OUT' every time we concede a goal. Was the same with Karanka, Mowbray etc. Always going to get them.

I think a lot is down to whether the players still have full confidence in Monk. If they are right behind him and fully committed to him then he must be given more time. But if the players start to doubt him or lose faith in his methods we need to consider changes.

I can clarify that the fans that live outside of Teesside are just as unhappy with Monk as those living on Teesside.

I can clarify that it’s the case with fan(s) in Denmark too

Im split at the minute, i think any manager should be given time but with the sales we made and the reinvestment in the team we have made, im absolutely fuming with the way we are playing even when we won those games against,Reading,Hull and Birmingham i thought we will get torched against anyone decent. I think the Derby game was a shambles i won't blame Monk for the individual mistakes but if we lose 2/3 out of the next 4 games he has to go. We have bought too many strikers and not enough creative players. All i want is too watch Boro have a go at teams come out the blocks and score some goals! None of this slow starting lack of internsity, under Monk this probably won't happen. Gibson and the board will privately be dissapointed they have too be. Automatic Promotion was the target and thats not happening , i think play offs is looking uncertain at the minute. Monk has spent more money than another manager in our history and its a bloody shambles.

I think you've caught the key point there, despite spending lots and people saying how good our squad is on paper, it's actually massively unbalanced.

People look at Britt, Bamford and Gestede and say they've all scored for fun in this league - but that's not that useful when we play with one up front. In key areas our team is paper-thin.

Left-wing we have no-one that is consistently good enough for this league. Johnson in flashes, Tav at times but neither of those would get in the first team of a top 6 side.

CB - We have Gibson, who is still class despite some errors but beyond that a very streaky Ayala, and Fry who is still too young/inexperienced to carry us a whole season. so no depth when Ayala is injured/suspended/out of form.

Full backs - Christie & Fabio are good, but have flaws, but when those are out we have no cover at all. Friend doesn't look like he can do it for us anymore

No.10 - Braithwaite looks good, with the occasional bad day at the office, but as was proven when he was injured we have no cover at all there, square pegs and round holes come to mind.

Right Wing - thank god for Downing's resurgence as after that we're left with the inconsistent Traore (who I'm a fan of, but can't rely on) - but Monk wanted Downing out before the season started, so who did he see as his first choice or cover RW?

CM - We should be fine, and in patches we have been but Clayton, Leadbitter, Howson have all struggled at times too, and Baker seems to have disappeared.

Thinking about it like that, as soon as we get a run of games, a couple of injuries/suspensions we start to look fragile.

Relegation here we come.

Christ. Our squad is packed full of internationals, top quality players and experienced pro's yet you're making it sound like we got a team incapable of matching Burton. I don't disagree that , in an ideal world, we would've brought in maybe Jota for example, but don't throw the rest of the squad under the same banner because it's not true. Our squad is in comparable to any other in this league.

Wonder if we can do a loan deal for Oliver Burke i January to fill the left wing. Has only played 55 min of Prem football at wba so unless the new manager puts him in the team we could be a decent option. Could do with someone like him on the wing.

Relegation here we come.

Christ. Our squad is packed full of internationals, top quality players and experienced pro's yet you're making it sound like we got a team incapable of matching Burton.  I don't disagree that , in an ideal world, we would've brought in maybe Jota for example, but don't throw the rest of the squad under the same banner because it's not true. Our squad is in comparable to any other in this league.

I wasn't trying to make it sound like that, just that perhaps our squad is not quite as rock solid as we thought heading into the season. Lots of people make it sound like we should be walking this league when in reality we don't have the squad depth that can do it.

Our first 11 should still be able to win most games and we should be playing better than we are but beyond that we do have squad issues that need addressing