oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

I really don't think compensation pay will be a factor in whether Monk stays or goes. Karanka was the lowest paid Premier League manager last season on £355k a year. I doubt Monk is getting more.

That is really interesting. I assumed he would have had a massive pay rise when we got promoted.

I Sincerely doubt that Karanka was on £6800 a week when we were in the Premiership...

I mean I've just done searches that result in 3 different places that quote that figure. Sean Dyche was on £420k, Eddie Howe on £750k, Alex Neil on £700k... is it that difficult to believe?

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't think compensation pay will be a factor in whether Monk stays or goes. Karanka was the lowest paid Premier League manager last season on £355k a year. I doubt Monk is getting more.

That is really interesting. I assumed he would have had a massive pay rise when we got promoted.

I Sincerely doubt that Karanka was on £6800 a week when we were in the Premiership...

I mean I've just done searches that result in 3 different places that quote that figure. Sean Dyche was on £420k, Eddie Howe on £750k, Alex Neil on £700k... is it that difficult to believe?

If those figures are after tax, that'd make a little more sense. Would mean Eddie Howe was on £20k a week, Neil £18.8k. But Dyche on £11.3k and Karanka on £9.5k a week? Before tax? Those seem remarkably low for Premiership manager wages. Especially given that AK signed a new 4 year contract in 2015.

How is this season a write off?

There plenty enough time to make a change and at least be serious about the play offs. Plus a good run could get us 4/5/6 points off 2nd and we've all seen what can happen. We were miles clear ourselves this time in 2015 and ended up scraping through on goal difference.

How is this season a write off?

There plenty enough time to make a change and at least be serious about the play offs. Plus a good run could get us 4/5/6 points off 2nd and we've all seen what can happen. We were miles clear ourselves this time in 2015 and ended up scraping through on goal difference.

I agree. The Championship can be a very odd league. It is not unusual for a team to go on a second-half-of-the-season run. Either a good one or bad one. We have done the bad version a few times. Other times have managed the opposite.

It could be us this season. But lots would have to change. Whether that is personnel or just attitude/aptitude changes and improvements - who knows. But it is far from a write off. But are within sight of the play offs. The top two seem a long way off, but who know.

I'm not saying that we still can't achieve anything out of this season. I'm saying that in terms of making a financial decision, Gibson can't make one in terms of sacrifice by hoping it will lead to the fortunes of the Premier League.

Hope is great, ambition is great, heart is great and I would expect no less from top to bottom at Boro. I certainly haven't given up hope or ambition for promotion this season. For a fan of a team chasing the top end of the league, the play-offs exist for us to maintain that competitive edge, to stop teams lower down indeed just giving up and letting the season drip away.

But the facts are that there are enough teams above us who you'd expect to still be up there come the end of the season that you couldn't forecast the big bucks coming in to cover it, if indeed it is such a great loss of money to sack our manager. As I said, if Gibson doesn't see us getting automatic promotion, as many of us indeed do not, he has to make any judgement on the basis that even if we finish in the top 6, there's only a 25% chance we'll go up.

I generally err on the side of optimism, but I've just not seen anything to suggest that we'll finish this season anywhere other than the mid table places we've been so far. Even in our wins we haven't looked convincing.

Having said that, not sure switching manager now, especially given the limited other options available at the moment.

Overall bit just leaves me feeling flat and uninspired, not much to look forward too at the moment

I generally err on the side of optimism, but I've just not seen anything to suggest that we'll finish this season anywhere other than the mid table places we've been so far. Even in our wins we haven't looked convincing.

Having said that, not sure switching manager now, especially given the limited other options available at the moment.

Overall bit just leaves me feeling flat and uninspired, not much to look forward too at the moment

Don't get me wrong the only chance we have of salvaging this season is if we change the manager, otherwise yes a total write off.

Another depressing season none were expecting but as long term harden BORO fans we just get use to it. No one expected to be were we are and the town was full of optimism and expectations. Can’t say the same now. Will SG change managers, I honestly don’t think so, will we go on a Huge unbeaten run, while the top half collapse, not a cat in hell’s chance. The team for some strange reason is unbalanced, it just can’t tick as a unit. The team won’t turn on a sixpence and suddenly be world beaters and neither can a new manager perform miracles either. Keep Monk and hope and hope, change mangers and rebuild for next year. I’m afraid we all need to think about next season.

Another depressing season none were expecting but as long term harden BORO fans we just get use to it. No one expected to be were we are and the town was full of optimism and expectations. Can’t say the same now. Will SG change managers, I honestly don’t think so, will we go on a Huge unbeaten run, while the top half collapse, not a cat in hell’s chance. The team for some strange reason is unbalanced, it just can’t tick as a unit. The team won’t turn on a sixpence and suddenly be world beaters and neither can a new manager perform miracles either. Keep Monk and hope and hope, change mangers and rebuild for next year. I’m afraid we all need to think about next season.

A worrying thing I've noticed is the amount of fans that simply don't give a *** anymore, including myself at times this season. When we played hull a few weeks back I'd completely forgot we were playing that night till I had a fag break at work just before kick off.

Let down after let down is taking its toll on not just bandwagoners but previously hardcore strachan era supporters. Last season we had to sit and watch us slowly capitualate and this season is going the same way.

I do disagree that a change wouldn't drastically change our fortunes though, as I said earlier we can easily make the play offs and give it a good go if it's the right change.

It is not unusual for a team to go on a second-half-of-the-season run. 

It's not unusual to have fun with anyone.

But when I see you hanging about with anyone

It's not unusual to see me cry, I wanna die

:D :D :D

Surrendered already !! There are the play offs

I am one of the most optimistic and positive Boro fans, but even for me, there's no point hoping that 'we're going to go on a run'. It's not going to happen under Monk. Even in his 'good times' at Leeds, they had the same consistency problems, as Monk made random changes leading to random results.

We went on a run in previous seasons under Karanka because we had excellent shape and discipline. We got found out once teams figured how to stop us scoring, but how much better we would have been under Karanka if we'd had the power and pace of Britt (instead of Kike). Forgive the wording, but you'd think we'd have 'smashed' the league...

Monk has shown he was out of his depth at Swansea and at Leeds (once his assistant left) and now at Boro. He'll struggle to get a decent offer anywhere when he finally gets the boot - he'll be a grumpy Sky Sports pundit for occasional Championship matches.

I'll support the team of course - I'm looking forward to more goals from Britt and watching Christie/Downing on the right, good saves from Randolph, but it is quite sad and painful to watch Gibson/Friend/Clayton struggle for form and generally decline under our arrogant clueless manager.

We hired the wrong manager, it's not the end of the world. It won't last forever. We still have a great squad and good times are round the corner once Gibson does the right thing.

UTB.