oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

I am one of the most optimistic and positive Boro fans, but even for me, there's no point hoping that 'we're going to go on a run'. It's not going to happen under Monk. Even in his 'good times' at Leeds, they had the same consistency problems, as Monk made random changes leading to random results.

We went on a run in previous seasons under Karanka because we had excellent shape and discipline. We got found out once teams figured how to stop us scoring, but how much better we would have been under Karanka if we'd had the power and pace of Britt (instead of Kike). Forgive the wording, but you'd think we'd have 'smashed' the league...

Monk has shown he was out of his depth at Swansea and at Leeds (once his assistant left) and now at Boro. He'll struggle to get a decent offer anywhere when he finally gets the boot - he'll be a grumpy Sky Sports pundit for occasional Championship matches.

I'll support the team of course - I'm looking forward to more goals from Britt and watching Christie/Downing on the right, good saves from Randolph, but it is quite sad and painful to watch Gibson/Friend/Clayton struggle for form and generally decline under our arrogant clueless manager.

We hired the wrong manager, it's not the end of the world. It won't last forever. We still have a great squad and good times are round the corner once Gibson does the right thing.

UTB.

I would argue that Monk's Middlesbrough are actually very consistent. Playing a bottom 10 team, we will almost definitely win. Playing a top 10 team we will almost certainly lose, maybe draw.

We're the most consistent team in the league!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I am one of the most optimistic and positive Boro fans, but even for me, there's no point hoping that 'we're going to go on a run'. It's not going to happen under Monk. Even in his 'good times' at Leeds, they had the same consistency problems, as Monk made random changes leading to random results.

We went on a run in previous seasons under Karanka because we had excellent shape and discipline. We got found out once teams figured how to stop us scoring, but how much better we would have been under Karanka if we'd had the power and pace of Britt (instead of Kike). Forgive the wording, but you'd think we'd have 'smashed' the league...

Monk has shown he was out of his depth at Swansea and at Leeds (once his assistant left) and now at Boro. He'll struggle to get a decent offer anywhere when he finally gets the boot - he'll be a grumpy Sky Sports pundit for occasional Championship matches.

I'll support the team of course - I'm looking forward to more goals from Britt and watching Christie/Downing on the right, good saves from Randolph, but it is quite sad and painful to watch Gibson/Friend/Clayton struggle for form and generally decline under our arrogant clueless manager.

We hired the wrong manager, it's not the end of the world. It won't last forever. We still have a great squad and good times are round the corner once Gibson does the right thing.

UTB.

We’ve just had a period where we won 4 games in 5. And before that 3 wins and 2 draws in 5 games. Aren’t these counted as runs

UTB.

We’ve just had a period where we won 4 games in 5. And before that 3 wins and 2 draws in 5 games. Aren’t these counted as runs

You're right, a 'run' is subjective, but for me for a run to result in anything positive promotion-wise it's going to have to be like:

Reading 2011–12 (won 17 of 23 games in the second half of the season)

Burnley 2015-16 (unbeaten in the league after 28th December)

Boro 2015-16 (conceded 31 goals, unbeaten in last 10, lost 9 all season - we've already lost 7 this season)

And I don't think any of us can see a run like that happening under Monk.

So far our only 'runs' come when we're playing sides from the bottom 6 in quick succession. Even in those runs (if you can call them that), we never played well for more than 30 minutes here and there.

Unfortunately for us, even if we did make the play-offs, we wouldn't play the bottom 6!

Another depressing season none were expecting but as long term harden BORO fans we just get use to it. No one expected to be were we are and the town was full of optimism and expectations. Can’t say the same now. Will SG change managers, I honestly don’t think so, will we go on a Huge unbeaten run, while the top half collapse, not a cat in hell’s chance. The team for some strange reason is unbalanced, it just can’t tick as a unit. The team won’t turn on a sixpence and suddenly be world beaters and neither can a new manager perform miracles either. Keep Monk and hope and hope, change mangers and rebuild for next year. I’m afraid we all need to think about next season.

Surrendered already !!   There are the play offs

Surrender!!! No like others I just take the punishment and carry on hoping against hope. Somehow being a fan is akin to being addicted to pain, it hurts but you keep going back knowing it hurts but next time it might be less painful. Lets face it if we can't beat the top teams now how do we hope to compete in the playoffs. 

UTB.

You're right, a 'run' is subjective, but for me for a run to result in anything positive promotion-wise it's going to have to be like:

Reading 2011–12 (won 17 of 23 games in the second half of the season)

Burnley 2015-16 (unbeaten in the league after 28th December)

Boro 2015-16 (conceded 31 goals, unbeaten in last 10, lost 9 all season - we've already lost 7 this season)

And I don't think any of us can see a run like that happening under Monk.

So far our only 'runs' come when we're playing sides from the bottom 6 in quick succession. Even in those runs (if you can call them that), we never played well for more than 30 minutes here and there.

Unfortunately for us, even if we did make the play-offs, we wouldn't play the bottom 6!

Good post. There is nothing under Monks statistics that shows we are doing well anywhere, neither home form or away. Fact despite the investment our scoring returns are low and we are gifting goals. The point being if we had one weakness to resolve it would be possible to conclude a fix but quite simply we are poor home and away, scoring less and conceiding more. Can the team be fixed, no because there are to many veriables. Keep Monk and hope, change Monk and build again for next season. Why, well I can't see us majicaly and dramatical turn into contenders.

I agree with the poster who said we have been consistent this season, I've been to every home game and a handful of the away games. I'd say our performance level has been pretty consistent in each game I've seen, if I was rating the team out of 10 I'd say we average a 6/10 most weeks. That's enough to beat the bottom 6 but not enough to beat the top 6 teams.

That's why I don't see much changing because I don't think Monk is capable of getting more than 6/10 performances from this team, tactically he's poor as a manager and my opinion is that he can't motivate the players now and they've had enough of him.

Sadly I think you are right Duvel. It's weird though that he had Leeds performing relatively well last season. For most of the season I think the Leeds team were punching above their weight and in the end finished where they was supposed to hence getting the full potential out of his squad. If only he could get our players to show their full potential. It looks however like Clotet had a major part to play and he is someone that Monk is missing.

When looking back at some of the Southgate stuff, I found this from after he was sacked, few interesting quotes from Gibson at the time about his reaction:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/m/middlesbrough/8318553.stm

At the beginning of the season I made it absolutely clear we had one objection - promotion at the first attempt, preferably in an automatic promotion spot rather than the lottery of the play-offs

I think the league position flatters some of our performances. When I look at some of the important games we've played against the clubs who are close to us we have quite an abysmal record.

The blame traditionally lies at the manager's door and we needed to spark things, and get the fans and the town back behind the club. We can't afford the splinters we have.

Falling attendances is not the story, the story is about how the fans feel about the club, their disenchantment over the last 12 months and their lack of faith that the club can get back into the Premiership.

When looking back at some of the Southgate stuff, I found this from after he was sacked, few interesting quotes from Gibson at the time about his reaction:

At the beginning of the season I made it absolutely clear we had one objection - promotion at the first attempt, preferably in an automatic promotion spot rather than the lottery of the play-offs

I think the league position flatters some of our performances. When I look at some of the important games we've played against the clubs who are close to us we have quite an abysmal record.

The blame traditionally lies at the manager's door and we needed to spark things, and get the fans and the town back behind the club. We can't afford the splinters we have.

Falling attendances is not the story, the story is about how the fans feel about the club, their disenchantment over the last 12 months and their lack of faith that the club can get back into the Premiership.

Wow, SG could literally copy and paste these quotes and get rid of Monk now.

Wow, SG could literally copy and paste these quotes and get rid of Monk now.

It's even worse when you compare the two sides of footballers too. This was Southgate's last team selection:

Jones

Hoyte Wheater St. Ledger Bennett

O'Neil Williams Digard J***son

Lita Aliadiere

Subs: Coyne, Pogatetz, Grounds, McMahon, Yeates, Walker, Emnes