• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

So if monk goes I'd assume his staff would go with him so who would even take temporary charge?

Woodgate or one of the Academy coaches maybe?  I honestly don't know.

They'd probably defrost Agnew.

Yep it's pretty much a carbon copy if not worse, in that summer Southgate brought in lita, coyne and st ledger. I know championship money is different now but he had no budget at all compared to the £50m we've spent this summer.

If we sacked Monk then I'd worry, again, about Steve Gibson being able to appoint the right manager. If we lose tomorrow then Monk has surely got to be sacked so there will be correct decision needed to be taken by Gibson to appoint the right manager. That is a huge concern. His heart is in the right place and has provided massive investment but his decision making with managers isn't great. In recent times he has made massive failings appointing Southgate, Strachan and Monk. Successes with McLaren and Karanka. Pretty average with Mowbray as we at least cleared up the behind the scenes mess despite ups and downs on the pitch before things fell apart. So 3 bad, 1 average and 2 successes. Plus Kenyon advised him for appointing Karanka so that wasn't made purely on his own judgement. Both of those successes based on an organised team so that has made me favour that approach.

Gibson's patchy at best record is why I'd settle for the tried and tested Karanka. Karanka wanted control of many footballing decisions which, on reflection, you can't argue with as his decision making on footballing decisions is far better than Gibson's. We seem rudderless at the moment with an inept manage. Karanka had faults but at least he made far more right decisions than wrong ones so the benefits were clear to see. His coaching ability and tactical knowledge, in particular, were fantastic for the Championship. Best goals conceded, clean sheets and home form in the Football League seems a distant memory now. I'm sick and tired of seeing us concede so many cheap goals under Agnew and then Monk. I'd welcome Karanka back with open arms. If it wasn't for the public fallings out behind the scenes, and then Karanka pushing his own PR spin of events behind the scenes, then the plan will have been for Karanka to still be in charge for this season. If I knew the plan was for Agnew to take over then I wouldn't have supported Karanka being sacked. If Gibson had dug his heels in and supported Karanka to rebuild us in the Championship - ala Dyche at Burnley - then I'm positive that we will be far better placed in the league at this point. It's all speculative and "what ifs" but there have been a few bad decisions made by Gibson that have culminated in us descending into this shambles.

Robson - Excellent

McClaren - Excellent

Southgate - Poor

Strachan - Terrible

Tony Mowbray - Good

Karanka - Very good

Monk - Terrible

I think Gibson's got a decent record myself.

This whole downward spiral started very gradually when downing came back.

Not saying it's his fault but it sounds like another one that was maybe pushed on karanka, Rhodes was possibly the final straw.

So if monk goes I'd assume his staff would go with him so who would even take temporary charge?

Or they would stay because they might be decent coaches and we’re a decent club but they suffer from the absence of a quality number 1.

If Gibson had dug his heels in and supported Karanka to rebuild us in the Championship - ala Dyche at Burnley - then I'm positive that we will be far better placed in the league at this point. 

There's no way Burnley would sign players over Dyche's head (Downing/Rhodes). So you could say Gibson never backed Karanka 100%, even before any dressing room trouble started.

Having said that, I think it was easier for Burnley to back Dyche. They both know how to organise and motivate a team, but Dyche is a far better communicator than Karanka. I'd love to see Karanka in La Liga, to see if his failings was more due to the language barrier/culture clash rather than his management style.

Again, I think the important of a good assistant was overlooked by the club. Karanka could have been greatly helped by a more open and communicative assistant.

It's a shame he didn't have that, because combining Karanka tactics with our current forward line and you'd be confident of a top 2 finish.

I think that's a good question to ask - why do we overlook the importance of assistant managers here at Boro? Definitely a weak point of ours.

Yeah we have an unorthodox setup behind the scenes.The majority of the January signings in the Premier League didn't feel like Karanka signings either as his emotions kept boiling over in press conferences with digs at the board and less than enthusiastic comments about Gestede. Bamford was highly likely a Karanka signing though as he really rated him as they had that talk when we played Burnley at Turf Moor. Gueudiora didn't seem a Karanka driven signing as that only happened when it became clear that we had failed to land a Jese, Bojan, Deulofeu or Snodgrass. I can full understand his frustration as the club didn't throw the kitchen sink at a top quality wide player that we desperately lacked.

I disagree that the overlook the importance of an assistant manager. When we got Agnew we gave him a huge contract as I remember Steve Bruce at Hull City commenting that it was an amazing offer for his then assistant Agnew to join us.

Not saying it's his fault but it sounds like another one that was maybe pushed on karanka, Rhodes was possibly the final straw.

You mean... the year we got promoted... very downward...

Are you really pinning this on one player? That’s the very definition of clutching at straws. The season he came in we were promoted and the season in the prem was definately not his fault. This season he’s been one of the best. Did he steal your wife or something :)

If we sacked Monk then I'd worry, again, about Steve Gibson being able to appoint the right manager. If we lose tomorrow then Monk has surely got to be sacked so there will be correct decision needed to be taken by Gibson to appoint the right manager. That is a huge concern. His heart is in the right place and has provided massive investment but his decision making with managers isn't great. In recent times he has made massive failings appointing Southgate, Strachan and Monk. Successes with McLaren and Karanka. Pretty average with Mowbray as we at least cleared up the behind the scenes mess despite ups and downs on the pitch before things fell apart. So 3 bad, 1 average and 2 successes. Plus Kenyon advised him for appointing Karanka so that wasn't made purely on his own judgement. Both of those successes based on an organised team so that has made me favour that approach.

Gibson's patchy at best record is why I'd settle for the tried and tested Karanka. Karanka wanted control of many footballing decisions which, on reflection, you can't argue with as his decision making on footballing decisions is far better than Gibson's. We seem rudderless at the moment with an inept manage. Karanka had faults but at least he made far more right decisions than wrong ones so the benefits were clear to see. His coaching ability and tactical knowledge, in particular, were fantastic for the Championship. Best goals conceded, clean sheets and home form in the Football League seems a distant memory now. I'm sick and tired of seeing us concede so many cheap goals under Agnew and then Monk. I'd welcome Karanka back with open arms. If it wasn't for the public fallings out behind the scenes, and then Karanka pushing his own PR spin of events behind the scenes, then the plan will have been for Karanka to still be in charge for this season. If I knew the plan was for Agnew to take over then I wouldn't have supported Karanka being sacked. If Gibson had dug his heels in and supported Karanka to rebuild us in the Championship - ala Dyche at Burnley - then I'm positive that we will be far better placed in the league at this point. It's all speculative and "what ifs" but there have been a few bad decisions made by Gibson that have culminated in us descending into this shambles.

There is quite literally zero chance of any of that happening. Even if we lose tomorrow Gibson won't sack monk, and rehiring a manager sacked less than a year ago? Neither party would want that.

It'll either be Carlo Ancelotti or Steve Agnew.

Neither of them are available. I heard Ancelotti is busy washing Agnew's hair