oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

Maybe Nut. Would mean a change to 4-4-2 which is fine but that would mean buying some decent wingers in January would be paramount to create some chances.

I think if we are going for the ‘get it to the big man’ approach we already have one perfect player in Downing. Could see him back on the left in a 4-4-2. Just whipping balls in. Gestede either scores from them or knocks them down for Assombolonga to score.

But we don’t have anyone else with those skills?

Most of this season West brom were playing 3-5-2. Christie would fit perfectly into that role.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

It is interesting that there is little sympathy on here for Monk, despite all the comments about ' I told you so ages ago' brigade there has been no one come forward to defend the guy. I thought at the start that he should be given time to try and stamp his own identity on the club but it has become apparent over the last few weeks that he is no tactical genius and leaves a lot to be desired as far as building relationships with the supporters. So no wailing and gnashing of teeth as happened when Karanka went so just time to move on, but whoever comes in we need stability as our club is getting all the wrong headlines for the wrong reasons. Over to you Mr Gibson, hopefully this will be fifth (?) time lucky in a year.

To be honest mate, I wouldn't have minded carrying on with Monk. We're only three points off the play-offs, so I think we're doing OK.

I do understand what people have been saying about an apparent lack of a plan or system, and I don't blame anyone for that. Each to their own.

However, if Monk had been given until the end of the season, and we hadn't gone up or made the play-offs, then maybe that would have been the time to get rid IMO.

Having said all that, if Monk has resigned, as some are suggesting, then all of the above is irrelevant anyway LOL.

So dissapointed with the names being thrown around. Pulis is literally famous for anti football. He puts centre backs at full back and plays the percentages at set pieces just well enough to get sides to 40 points then they put their feet up. Makes Karanka look adventurous.

Maybe I'm in the minority but I really don't give a crap about 'Premier League at all costs'.... I would rather have a talented European coach come and build a club in his own image who I can enjoy watching and am proud to follow.

This was maybe the intention with Monk but it wasn't working and his football philosophy wasn't clear after even half a season. Pulis's football philosophy is there for all to see.... careful what you wish for, speak to a WBA fan.

After last season's disaster I would gladly take 40 points and putting our feet up in the Prem for a bit.

On his list in January was probably a tall holding midfielder and at least one winger, if only it was obvious we needed those in the summer Garry...

There's a lot of smoke for Pulis and given the fact that he wants back into football quickly and he loves big bonuses you can see us tempting him with a big promotion bonus so the stories are holding up to my eyes. Look I rated Pulis at Palace myself I think he turned them into a physical unit who used their pace to counter attack, West Brom's probably soured people on him but that squad was an ageing mess in my opinion he overachieved with them plus unlike West Brom we actually have fullbacks!

If we go Pulis I can see it now 451 with Braithwaite behind Britt, engines in the midfield and I'd guess he'd go with Fletcher wide because of his height for diagonals. Majority of our goals have been leaked from ridiculous errors of our own making Pulis will cut that stuff out you'd think that immediately puts us in a better position to win games, I think we'll see a lot more of Gestede as well but you can't see Pulis seeing much in Bamford/Traore interesting to see how he'd handle a January window.

If we are to try again and build an identity long term, I would love to see us try and prise Patrick Viera away from his City contract. No experience but hugely thought of by their hierachy for his work with the junior teams and latterly in the States. The man is a born leader, tactically full of ideas and one day will be a top manager. Why not leave the dinosaurs alone and look to the future.

I like this idea.

Viera was one of the best players I ever saw play live. And I agree about his qualities.

Ye I'd like us to go for someone of his ilk, someone progressive, most on here have pretty much written off our chances of promotion this season, we have the opportunity now to make a change of the style and ethos of the football. We've been down the route of the conservative and pragmatic, and it was incredibly effective in getting us out the division last time, but it failed drastically when we did go up. I think that Monk has been more of the same, I haven't seen any discernible attempt to play a more attractive style, we've just regressed in all aspects. 

People seem to dismiss the prospect of attacking football as something that we can't and never will achieve, which seems bizarre to me. This doesn't mean we have to 'play like city', there's more than one way to skin a cat. In fact, the best teams in this division over the last 4 or 5 years have been teams that have played ambitious football, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford all did it with squads that cost far less to assemble than ours has, and this season Wolves are already ten points clear and are doing it playing some of the best football the division has ever seen. 

There are coaches out there, Patrick Vieira has been mentioned, Frank De Boer despite his 5 games at Palace won 4 consecutive league titles with Ajax, Peter Bosz has recently been sacked by Dortmund, Michel Preud'homme has been manager of the year in Belgium 3 times in recent years and won various competitions at top clubs in Belgium and Holland, and has been trying to get into British football. There are coaches in the football league that are doing it too. Karl Robinson has worked with massively limited resources at MK and Charlton and has a pretty decent record, Nathan Jones at Luton and Paul Tisdale at Exeter. 

I don't think the suggestions in the 'ex-player youth coach' category should be scoffed at either, Gerrard, Butt and the like have been mentioned. There will be some top managers in that generation that maybe haven't been given the opportunity yet. As someone before mentioned, our most successful managers of recent times in Robson, McClaren and Karanka have come from this route. The Bundesliga, which tends to be miles further forward on the coaching curve than our leagues, has seen this become a trend recently. Nagelsmann at Hoffenheim and Tedesco at Schalke are both former youth coaches that have been promoted and are getting the results whilst playing entertaining stuff.  

It might sound idealistic, but after the last 12 months or so, there needs to be an injection of entertainment back into the club. We've been down the other route and we're no better off for it.

@SkySports_Keith

Garry Monk had just arrived home from Hillsborough last night when he received a call from Steve Gibson to tell him he was sacked. Understand Monk surprised after holding January transfer talks with the board in midweek.

That looks like it was written by CT ;)

I do not think it has been mentioned here but certainly saw this comment elsewhere and perhaps there is a salient point being made but is the departure of Monk coincidental of Agnew being freed and leaving the wage structure of Boro?

With regards to Swansea I really can not see that happening as surely if approaches have been made then they were illegal approaches and they would be wide open for condemnation and business practise law suits?

I do not think it has been mentioned here but certainly saw this comment elsewhere and perhaps there is a salient point being made but is the departure of Monk coincidental of Agnew being freed and leaving the wage structure of Boro?

With regards to Swansea I really can not see that happening as surely if approaches have been made then they were illegal approaches and they would be wide open for condemnation and business practise law suits?

If Swansea go for Monk ahead of Karanka, they are crackers.

Interesting point DS. Does it give us a lot more funds in the managerial budget for a proven management team? Was Agnew hovering in the background putting some managers off us? Maybe they're completely unconnected and merely a coincidence? Who knows? Interesting times indeed

Looking ore and more like Pulis...oh well at least we will be solid again. Just seems a short sighted move to me. Already stated my top choice but as an alternative I still think Gary Neville will make a great manager , especially if ist in combo with one of scholes or giggs.

I’d guess if I was trying to think like Gibson then pullis would get us up and has a very very good record of keeping teams in the premier league regardless of the type of football. So we go up secure ourselves as a premier team for two three yrs then move on to better football

Looking ore and more like Pulis...oh well at least we will be solid again. Just seems a short sighted move to me. Already stated my top choice but as an alternative I still think Gary Neville will make a great manager , especially if ist in combo with one of scholes or giggs.

I’d guess if I was trying to think like Gibson then pullis would get us up and has a very very good record of keeping teams in the premier league regardless of the type of football. So we go up secure ourselves as a premier team for two three yrs then move on to better football

Agree rich I think that is how he will look at it too

@SkySports_Keith

Garry Monk had just arrived home from Hillsborough last night when he received a call from Steve Gibson to tell him he was sacked. Understand Monk surprised after holding January transfer talks with the board in midweek.

That looks like it was written by CT ;)

You know it!

If Gibson is still hellbent on promotion this season, We’ll have to go for an experienced manager, Pullis would be my choice, he’ll get results quickly.

Still going to take a supreme monumental effort for the automatic spots. A lot of fans starting to get  carried away, although autos are still possible, playoffs will probably be our best bet.

Absolutely, autos are out of the question, but we are 3 points off the playoff places.

12 points off 2nd with all the teams above us to play it isn't out the question if we got a run together teams above us will drop points at some stage

Who'd have thought Bolton would have beaten Cardiff yesterday