oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

To me a good appointment, certainly will be passionate and now has some authority behind him when coaching especially the defence.

Local lad. local team what could be a better union.

Forget the past what happens next is the only concern

agree with this. Pullis knows him and if people think pullis would appoint someone he thinks is a bad influence then your doing down a very experienced manager

Woodgate smacks of a Gibson appointment. Gibson is obsessed with having someone 'local' on the coaching staff.

If you've ever seen Woodie out and about, he doesn't strike you as being a coaching aficionado that's for sure...

Still, good luck to him and UTB.

How does his behaviour outside of work reflect his practice in the work place?

I am a teacher. And a bloody good one. But that doesn’t mean I don’t go out and enjoy myself when I am not working.

Tyler, you strike me as someone who knows they are talking about - as for Woodie he just strikes me (and others that know him) as a bit daft...!

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

To me a good appointment, certainly will be passionate and now has some authority behind him when coaching especially the defence.

Local lad. local team what could be a better union.

Forget the past what happens next is the only concern

agree with this. Pullis knows him and if people think pullis would appoint someone he thinks is a bad influence then your doing down a very experienced manager

Woodgate smacks of a Gibson appointment. Gibson is obsessed with having someone 'local' on the coaching staff.

If you've ever seen Woodie out and about, he doesn't strike you as being a coaching aficionado that's for sure...

I am a teacher. And a bloody good one. But that doesn’t mean I don’t go out and enjoy myself when I am not working.

Tyler, you strike me as someone who knows they are talking about - as for Woodie he just strikes me (and others that know him) as a bit daft...!

I will be honest - I have know Woody since I was about 7/8. I am not going to deny he was ‘daft’ as a young lad. And he would be the first to admit that. But he has settled down loads. He is now all about his family (his son goes to the same school as my kids) and he was loving his coaching job with the under 18s. I don’t think it is fair to assume he will be a terrible coach because he has/had some idiot mates who get into scrapes.

I have heard so many stories about the terrible life he lives outside of football. I have been told by several (totally independent) sources that his drug problem was so bad that the dealers took his house off him. And chased him out of town. This being the house that he still lives in. With his wife and two kids.

Also, the fact that he is now in his late 30s and settled down with two kids doesn’t guarantee that he is a good coach!

I will be honest - I have know Woody since I was about 7/8. I am not going to deny he was ‘daft’ as a young lad. And he would be the first to admit that. But he has settled down loads. He is now all about his family (his son goes to the same school as my kids) and he was loving his coaching job with the under 18s. I don’t think it is fair to assume he will be a terrible coach because he has/had some idiot mates who get into scrapes.

I have heard so many stories about the terrible life he lives outside of football. I have been told by several (totally independent) sources that his drug problem was so bad that the dealers took his house off him. And chased him out of town. This being the house that he still lives in. With his wife and two kids.

Also, the fact that he is now in his late 30s and settled down with two kids doesn’t guarantee that he is a good coach!

He loves the club and town so I'm sure he'll do his best for us!

I remember from a few seasons ago Ben Gibson singing Woodgate's praises, on how he would watch videos of games back with him and showing him how he could improve. There's no denying he was a top class defender, I think it's a good appointment, Pulis wouldn't have allowed it if it wasn't.

Personally I would not let Woody near the first team until he as proven himself to be a decent coach.

Give him a job with the youth team for a few years and see if he can turn that shambles around.

Once we were proud of our youth academy but these days no players seem to be coming from it of value to the MFC first team.

I seem to remember Gibson saying at the begining that it will save the club a fortune.  :D

And yes this obsession of installing home growns into management positions and coaching staff really has to stop if Gibson wants the MFC to become an established PL team.

Pulis was a step in that direction lets hope he see's that.

Personally I would not let Woody near the first team until he as proven himself to be a decent coach.

Give him a job with the youth team for a few years and see if he can turn that shambles around.

Once we were proud of our youth academy but these days no players seem to be coming from it of value to the MFC first team.

I seem to remember Gibson saying at the begining that it will save the club a fortune.  :D

And yes this obsession of installing home growns into management positions and coaching staff really has to stop if Gibson wants the MFC to become an established PL team.

No players of value to first team? Gibson? Fry? Tavernier?

Gibson as been a first team regular for 2 seasons

Fry as yet to become a regular.

Tavernier may oneday become a first team regular.

Is that your opinion on a successful youth team. Then you are so easily pleased.

You may as well go support The Monkey Hangers or The Quakers mate.

You know I have yet to see a decent  homegrown forward come through to the first team since Davey Mills.

Is that your opinion on a successful youth team. Then you are so easily pleased.

You know I have yet to see a decent  homegrown forward come through to the first team since Davey Mills.

The problem is you can't really give youth players a chance when your squad has 25 professionals who all want to play every game... We spent 7m on a 21 year old for God sake when we have a better 18 year old.

Once Pulis shrinks the squad I expect some more youth players in and around the first team squad. Karanka wasn't exactly a Saint for the academy either, which is the problem when we crave success this second.

Ben Hutchinson was a sensational striker.

The problem is you can't really give youth players a chance when your squad has 25 professionals who all want to play every game... We spent 7m on a 21 year old for God sake when we have a better 18 year old.

Once Pulis shrinks the squad I expect some more youth players in and around the first team squad. Karanka wasn't exactly a Saint for the academy either, which is the problem when we crave success this second.

Yep I believe you maybe right AK I did read never allowed the older players to step on the field with the youth and that was a stupid thing to do. Were will they get the experience from.? 

It just irritates me everytime I see the Boro buying when they should be trying youngsters out and letting them be apart of the MFC instead of keep farming them out to other clubs and afterwards we never hear of them again.

Hopefully Pulis may put that right again and we may start seeing kids coming through again more regulary.

But back to Woody I do believe he should serve a sort of apprenticeship with the youth first before being allowed to stand on the field and give an opinion to Pulis. After all if what has been written in the past about his goings on is even a little true, then he should start by building a good reputation so the kids will look to him as a coach of MFC rather than a clubber if you get my drift.

A succesful youth team and those players becoming first team regulars are two separate things. Chelsea have a phenomenally succesful youth team yet only Terry has actually gone on and done something with them (Christensen is looking good now but they bought him at 14/15). Our youth team has been very succesful recently and we've managed to get some first team players from it as well. If we can get one first team player per season out of our academy I'd be pretty pleased, that is what we've done the last couple of years. Gibson then Fry and now Tav all look like they will be around the first team picture for years to come. If you expect more than 1 first team player from our academy every season then I think you're asking far too much. Perhaps you should go and support Man U, they churn out youth players like there's no tomorrow.