oneBoro Forum

Pulis appointed Manager of Middlesbrough FC

Michael O'Neil still available. My only concern would be that he hasn't managed a club side at a high level. What about Martin O'neil?

What about Shaquille O'Neal or Michael O'Neill of Gibson O'Neill or Gary O'Neil or Alexander O'Neal or Eugene O'Neill?  They'd all bring something different to the table whilst still having the critical O'Neil/O'Neill/O'Neal factor.

Fair play CT. that is the first time you have made me laugh out loud.

Liar.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of interest, if a new manager came in. What would the first thing you'd tell him to do?

With Karanka, it was for us to stop leaking goals. I'd say currently that our defence, while isn't as good as when Aitor was here, isn't exactly porous.

Before writing this i had the imagine in my head that we were okay going forward..however. Britt has scored 11 goals in the league. The next highest goal scorer in our team for league games?

*drum roll* Braithwaite with...4.

That's terrible! Essentially if teams find a way to shut out Britt there's a good chance we aren't gonna score.

I honestly don't see how we can't have Britt and Bamford working together. On their day they would walk into any championship side.

I've felt for a few seasons that we shovel players into systems that don't quite fit, as opposed to their natural position. Is it time we had a change of mentality?

Couldn't we find a formation where we could accommodate?

My biggest gripe with monk is continuing with 4231. It's not worked. And Britt up front isn't as lethal as he could be in my opinion.

I feel a new manager could try something different. The worst bit is I don't think anyone different would have done as bad as Monk. Beating bottom teams more often than not should be a minimum. But against the big boys he has a woeful record.

Michael O'Neil still available. My only concern would be that he hasn't managed a club side at a high level. What about Martin O'neil?

What about Shaquille O'Neal or Michael O'Neill of Gibson O'Neill or Gary O'Neil or Alexander O'Neal or Eugene O'Neill?  They'd all bring something different to the table whilst still having the critical O'Neil/O'Neill/O'Neal factor.

Fair play CT. that is the first time you have made me laugh out loud.

Liar.

Okay. I will admit it.

It was more a snigger than a genuine laugh.

Out of interest, if a new manager came in. What would the first thing you'd tell him to do?

With Karanka, it was for us to stop leaking goals. I'd say currently that our defence, while isn't as good as when Aitor was here, isn't exactly porous.

Before writing this i had the imagine in my head that we were okay going forward..however. Britt has scored 11 goals in the league. The next highest goal scorer in our team for league games?

*drum roll* Braithwaite with...4.

That's terrible! Essentially if teams find a way to shut out Britt there's a good chance we aren't gonna score.

I honestly don't see how we can't have Britt and Bamford working together. On their day they would walk into any championship side.

I've felt for a few seasons that we shovel players into systems that don't quite fit, as opposed to their natural position. Is it time we had a change of mentality?

Couldn't we find a formation where we could accommodate?

My biggest gripe with monk is continuing with 4231. It's not worked. And Britt up front isn't as lethal as he could be in my opinion.

I feel a new manager could try something different. The worst bit is I don't think anyone different would have done as bad as Monk. Beating bottom teams more often than not should be a minimum. But against the big boys he has a woeful record.

The first thing to do? Establish a strategy and tactics that are easy for the players to understand and follow. Gain their confidence and enthusiasm. Make them believe in themselves.

Also instill in them that they are not a group of individualists but a team, which should operate as a machine.

Do your homework on the opposition (Karanka did this to an autistic degree). Have a game plan and make sure that everyone sticks to it.

Make sure that everyone knows that defending a one-goal lead is not enough, and that if the opposition scores three in the first half, we score four in the second half.

That’s for starters.

We don’t need new players. We have great players and we have enough of them. We just have to use them to their best abilities.

Yes I agree that Gibson is a patient man and always gives his manager time to turn things around but the problem with Monk is it's the same mistakes time and time again! How long should he wait before accepting enough is enough

He will probably reassess things at the end of the season

If things continue the way they have, i don't think the fans will allow that. We all know that Steve Gibson pulls the trigger, but it's the fans that tie the manager to the execution post and pull on the blindfold. Once it turns toxic the manager has little time left.

Exactly this.

This is where those bloody fly by things appear from. A few hundred people (possibly fewer) feel they are the voice of tens of thousands because they all agree with each other in a small group.

I disagree, online forums usually have a balance of opinions. Read any online forum/social media outlet/Gazette comments section now and it's pretty unanimous against Monk. Even the Gazette reporters are pretty much saying the same thing.

If you think it's a small minority that are disillusioned you're way out of touch.

I like to think of myself as a reasoned and patient poster. And I have never wanted a manager sacked before. Not even Strachan. I think my eternal optimism means I always assume it will come good. But with Monk I have to agree something just feels off. As I think I said in another post, elsewhere, it isn’t like we are playing well and unlucky to lose OR playing poorly but regularly nicking results. We just look like a poor-average team in what is a poor division lacking in much quality.

As a matter of interest if you never wanted Strachan sacked, at what point do you think it's right to sack a manager?

I guess I am just soft. And too nice. I don’t like to see anyone out of work.

Fair enough :)

It's not a small minority that are disillusioned at all, but if you don't think social media, and even these forums promote the more extreme views then you're a little out of touch too.

I'd say it's got to the stage where a lot of people want Monk out, but if you read this forum or more so twitter and Facebook at 5pm on a Sat you'd think 95% of Boro fans wanted him sacked, and I don't think this is the case.

I can't speak for anyone else but where I'm sat there were very few positive comments at half time in the Ipswich game and we were leading at that point.  There were a few more come full time but I'd say it's certainly not a minority that aren't happy.

Sorry, maybe I didn't phrase my post very well. I was just trying to make the point that opinions on social media are often the exaggerated opinion.

I'd take anyone who's had experience getting promotion to the PL and knows how to organise I'm abandoning the pipe dream football we were sold when Monk came in it was clear pre season the experiments weren't working. We really shouldn't beat the players and quality of our squad too much I mean we have players in our squad that have tore this league apart extremely recently and have a 40 million pound strikeforce I mean we can question what Fletcher's bringing but the rest have clear qualities.

I'd take Paul Lambert over Warburton/flavour of the Championship month types myself, the job isn't as hard as Monk's making it look I mean my god underperforming would be 4th/5th Monk needed to go 2 months ago I'm not sure anyone else would do worse except Agnew don't you dare bring him back.

Paul Lambert :) you surely must be joking?

I'd give him the rest of the season over giving Monk the rest of the season, this'll be the strongest squad Lambert's worked with I think we're better than his Villa/Norwich squads I mean if we're going to roll the dice I'd rather it was with a Lambert who's available than a Warburton type I think we need the best track record we can get because we don't need a Karanka or Mowbray to coach them levels above them or pinch pennies on a budget.

How Monk has *cked this up so badly will only become clear when we see how a competent, dare I say average, manager does like Lambert. If Moyes can be rehabilitated then Lambert's surely not a lost cause is all I'm saying.

If we do get rid of Monk if genuinely rather us take a punt on a Wagner/Silva type than a Paul Lambert/Gary Megson.

This seasons a write off for me as it stands, and I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't go up this season, so I'd be happy enough for us (with the right man) to build something good.

I don't think Lambert or Megson would be good for us long term, and I've got a feeling our fans would turn on someone like that realllllly quickly.

If we do get rid of Monk if genuinely rather us take a punt on a Wagner/Silva type than a Paul Lambert/Gary Megson.

This seasons a write off for me as it stands, and I don't think it's the end of the world if we don't go up this season, so I'd be happy enough for us (with the right man) to build something good.

I don't think Lambert or Megson would be good for us long term, and I've got a feeling our fans would turn on someone like that realllllly quickly.

Got to agree 100% with you Jimmy, don't see us even making the play offs, so plan for next season with the right man at the helm, rather than a panic move on the managerial front.