oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sunderland (FA Cup) 2-0 (Gestede, Braithwaite)

The FA Cup is upon us, and we have a tasty home tie coming up against North East rivals Sunderland. 

In the last outing Boro turned on the style in the secon half against PNE to come back from an abysmal first half and win the game 3-2. New gaffer Tony Pulis made a few changes for that game by bringing in Guediora, Christie and dropping Braithwaite completely from the squad. Sunderland succumbed to a disappointing 0-1 loss at home to Barnsley and still find themselves firmly in the relegation mire. 

I think Tony Pulis is going to use this game to see a few other players, and I wouldn't be surprised to see any of Fry, Forshaw, Baker, Fletcher, Bamford and Braithwite start. Clayton I have no idea about, but if he's fit and not going anywhere he should get some minutes.

Borodanes lineup:

-------Randolph--------

Shotton-Gibson-Fry-Friend

-------Baker-Leadbitter/Clayton-------

Traore-----Braithwaite--Fletcher

----------Bamford------------

If Clayton isn't in contention it will be Leadbitter to add a bit of bite to the midfield. I reckon Downing and Britt will be rested and Bamford, Braithwaite and Fletcher will be given their chances. Could also be Rudy for either Bamford og Braithwaite.

We should win this game if the league positions are anything to go by, so here is hoping for a 2-0 win and a chance for me to get 3 consecutive matchday threads.

I don't think they have a matchday thread yet, but will see if one pops up during the week.

Talking points:

What changes to expect?

Do we want to go all in for the FA Cup?

Can we expect the team to start the game with the desire shown in the second half at Preston?

Crowd numbers?

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

2-1 Boro, Bamford with them both.

Good time for this game, breaks up the Championship a bit with a chance for Pulis to look at more players and experiment with formations. Not too bothered about the result, or the FA cup in general to be honest.

I expect Bamford, Gestede and Traore to start. I would expect that Shotton will be back at RB from the start and he might play Fry alongside Ayala. If Clayton is fit he might get a start too.

I think Pulis will want some continuation to keep the momentum from the second half going - maybe only 1 or 2 changes. Would love to See Clayts alongside Howson. Won't do Britt any harm to learn he has to work to be first choice.

-------------------- Randolph ------------------

-- Shotton --- Ayala --- Gibson -- Friend --

----------- Clayton ------ Howson ------------ 

---- Traore ----- Bamford ---- Downing ----

-------------------- Gestede -------------------

I believe Pulis will take the chance to test some more of the players in the squad but still want to have strong team and I could see the following team.

Randolph

Shotton- Ayala - Fry - Friend

Traore - Clayton - Howson - Tavernier

Bamford - Braithwaite

Chance for Fry, Friend, Clayton, Traore, Tavernier and Banford/ Braithwaite to impress.

Should win comfortable hopefully

In his interview after the last match, Pulis said that he’s going to change the team for The cup match so that he can have a look at a few players. Normally I’d be dead against making too many changes for an FA cup match, but the circumstances are slightly different this year. I’d say fair play Tony have a look at some players, but for goodness sake don’t change the goalkeeper, I can never see the point of resting goalkeepers.

In his interview after the last match, Pulis said that he’s going to change the team for The cup match so that he can have a look at a few players. Normally I’d be dead against making too many changes for an FA cup match, but the circumstances are slightly different this year. I’d say fair play Tony have a look at some players, but for goodness sake don’t change the goalkeeper, I can never see the point of resting goalkeepers.

I agree he will change a fair few.

—————-Randolph ————

Christie — Shotton —Fry —Friend

Traore —Clayton Forshaw — Tavernier

————Fletcher Bamford ————

I think there'll be changes too. As Billy said, regardless of how you usually feel about that, Pulis needs these games to see what he can make of this squad. One thing I think we can guess is that the young lads like Wing and Tavernier will struggle to get into the squad this weekend. Even with the team below, we're missing Forshaw and Clayton who haven't appeared for us under Pulis yet. Think Fry, Baker, Johnson and Fletcher will be guaranteed starters.

Dimi

Christie Fry Gibson Friend

Traore Guedioura Baker Johnson

Fletcher Bamford

Just seen that Sunderland are bringing 4,500 on saturday. Could be a cracking atmosphere. Will we break the 30 k. barrier? As of yesterday I think we've sold 19k so 23.5 k in total.

Just seen that Sunderland are bringing 4,500 on saturday. Could be a cracking atmosphere. Will we break the 30 k. barrier? As of yesterday I think we've sold 19k so 23.5 k in total.

I hope that's not true.

Don't think we'll sell this one out to be fair. Shame considering Sunderland are bringing so many could be a good atmosphere. Almost like a bit of a free hit really this one and I wouldn't be surprised to see Pulis completely rotate the squad to get a good look at a few more players.

I hope that's not true.

What? That we haven't sold more than 19k? I'd expect that to increase as the week goes on. Don't season ticket holder have until late this week to decide whether they want to keep their seat?

Derby game, discounted tickets, Sunderland bringing 4.5k, good chance to wallop them, see more of Pullis' new Boro. Will be disappointing if this doesn't come close to selling out.

I definately hope you will be right Humpty. Could be a cracking atmosphere. But we only got 29k in the league game so I doubt this will be a sellout despite the new manager effect and the encouraging second half against PNE. Hope we break the 30k barrier.