oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Sunderland (FA Cup) 2-0 (Gestede, Braithwaite)

How did Friend perform? I think we can start seeing that Pulis have his preferred back 5 more or less only left back with question mark.

Great to hear that Traore is doing well and Pulis working on how to get the most out of him regularly.. I think with Shotton behind him he can focus on attacking but also have the support of a “talking”defender behind him which should hopefully help him improve further.

On the left I guess we will see downing and friend next game. With britt coming in to play of Gestede.

Friend had his best game for us (that I've seen) since the promotion season. I was pleased with his performance yesterday, albeit against poor opposition.

• Replies 238
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If we are going to play Traore at right wing then we absolutely have to play Shottton behind him. We cannot play Christie there because he lacks discipline, lacks defensive nous and its not his game. It comes down to Christie vs Traore really unless you are going to play Traore on the left (ineffective) or in a free role off someone like Gestede (possibility for a tight away game).

I know a lot of people have said so already, but it's so refreshing to see an experienced manager recognise a players potential and play him.

Also nice to hear how Pulis is having a different approach to Adama because he believes in him.

Very comfortable against the Mackems, the only surprise was that we only scored 2, Traore tortured them, I hope he can now start getting a good level of consistency because he's a huge asset if he can and a goal won't do him any harm either.

This is one of the worst Sunderland sides I've ever seen, if Coleman keeps them up he'll have done a fantastic job. Sell their top player to Everton, parachute payment from PL, good crowds but no money to spend, shocking really, thank god we've got Steve Gibson at the helm.

I know a lot of people have said so already, but it's so refreshing to see an experienced manager recognise a players potential and play him.

Also nice to hear how Pulis is having a different approach to Adama because he believes in him.

All of the other managers recognised his potential as well.  It's not like they all thought he was crap.  They just got sick of telling him stuff that would go in one ear and out the other.  This manager will be the same as well unless Traore gets his act together.

All of the other managers recognised his potential as well.  It's not like they all thought he was crap.  They just got sick of telling him stuff that would go in one ear and out the other.  This manager will be the same as well unless Traore gets his act together.

...which he seems like he's doing.

But the point is that Pulis is giving Adama game time whereas Karanka and Monk didn't. So the potential isn't being wasted but given a run in the team.

Added to that the last games that Traore has played he has been a million miles away from the player under Karanka and more consistent than under Monk now he's under Pulis. You could argue that it's Pulis' experience that is doing that.

I think that we now rely more as a team on Traore down the side and getting it forward quickly. Whereas before he doesn't really fit into the slow and ponderous play of Karanka and Monk. That's why I think he will flourish.

...which he seems like he's doing.

That remains to be seen.  He has done good things in the past, it's just that there have tended to be more dumb things overall.  I suppose it's possible that in the space of a week Tony Pulis has managed to unlock Traore's potential but I think the more likely scenario is simply that he did something well in a game (very well actually) but that nothing has changed.  It'd be nice if it has both for us and for him but I'm a bit dubious as to what someone can achieve in a week when we've seen it all before.

But the point is that Pulis is giving Adama game time whereas Karanka and Monk didn't. So the potential isn't being wasted but given a run in the team.

Added to that the last games that Traore has played he has been a million miles away from the player under Karanka and more consistent than under Monk now he's under Pulis. You could argue that it's Pulis' experience that is doing that.

I think that we now rely more as a team on Traore down the side and getting it forward quickly. Whereas before he doesn't really fit into the slow and ponderous play of Karanka and Monk. That's why I think he will flourish.

I'm pretty sure you'll find Traore had more game time under the other two than Pulis.  However  when you get yourself sent off or make a terrible challenge and give away a penalty or stand still rather than move to get a pass or run through an entire defence and then mi*** a shot instead of just passing to one of your unmarked teammates then eventually people's patience wears thin with you.  Pulis hasn't got to that point yet because he's basically been here for a week and we've only had a couple of games.  If Traore keeps going then it might not get to that point and that would be great.

I'm pretty sure you'll find Traore had more game time under the other two than Pulis.  However  when you get yourself sent off or make a terrible challenge and give away a penalty or stand still rather than move to get a pass or run through an entire defence and then mi*** a shot instead of just passing to one of your unmarked teammates then eventually people's patience wears thin with you.  Pulis hasn't got to that point yet because he's basically been here for a week and we've only had a couple of games.  If Traore keeps going then it might not get to that point and that would be great.

Im pretty sure Pulis is switched on enough to not get Adama to tuck in and find himself in positions where he is making challenges in the box.

He's stressed that he is working with what he's got at the minute, what he hasn't got is a good tackle. You can argue he hasn't been drilled effectively as a naive young player, as much as it's conjecture right now in prepared to say he won't be putting himself in positions to get sent off or giving away penalties again.