oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Fulham 0-1

Well, well, well. It's my thirdconsecutive MD threat and long may it continue. In our next episode of Borodanes "the-great-rise-of-boro-into-the-promotion-mix" sees us entertain Fulham FC. In the previous meeting between the two sides Christis popped up with a late equaliser to earn Boro a share of the spoils - without us being impressive at all (at least that was my thoughts as I stood behind the goal with my two friends who are not boro fans and who had no idea how they ended up at a match involving these two sides).

Previous outings:

Boro progressed to the fourth round of the FA Cup by comfortably beating poor old Sunderland 2-0 at the Riverside. Pulis put out a strong team and the game was effectively over after the first half following goals from Gestede and Braithwaite. 

Fulham on the other hand went down 0-1 at home to Southampton and are out of the cup. They will likely want to get back to winning ways asap.

Old faces: Ryan Fredericks and Tomas Kalas return to the Riverside again having previously played for the club under Aitor Karanka. Do we have any old Fulham players?

Borodanes predicted team:

-----------Randolph------------

Shotton-Ayala-Gibson-Friend

------Leadbitter-Howons------

Traore-Downing-Braithwaite

-----------Gestede-------------

I think Pulis will choose Shotton at RB to combat Fulham young winger Sessegnon who seems to always cause trouble and actually assisted their goal at Craven Cottage against us. In attack I think Gestede will be asked to lead the line following his well taken goal against Sunderland and Britt looking like he needs a rest at the moment. It will then be up to Traore, Howson, Downing and Braithwaite to supply enough amunition for the big man. Braithwaite to get into the box every time Downing and Traore get anywhere near the box. 

My prediction is another 2-0 win with goals from Gestede and Downing.

The game is live on TV in Denmark, and likely other oversees countries too, so there should be plenty of streams available.

View from the other end: http://www.cottagecorner.org/forum/showthread.php?tid=7126 They seem very confident. Not a single loss predicted.

Talking points:

Who are Fulhams danger men?

Gestede or Britt?

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Gestede has to start but not utilising Assombalonga seems folly! I don't know Fulham's team well enough to know which would better capitalise on Fulham's weaknesses mind.

I think Fulham play 4-3-3, which is why I think Pulis will play with Downing in the number 10 to add another number in the middle and not risk losing the midfield battle. Granted we should think about ourselves first, but you can't be too careless. If we aren't winning by the 60th miinute Assombalonga isn't the worst player you can throw on.

I think Shotton will be enough, as I don't think we need to have two players on one of their players. I get what you are saying I'd like to keep Traore on the right to favour his development in the side. I don't think he is as effective on the left. He could of course play a number 10 which I have previously advocated for, but he will likely have more space on the wing. That also means that Sessegnon needs to track further back and help out his own full back.

@BD no it is not this is your third but you get this seasons record if you do the next two!

Massively important game the momentum has to continue if we are to achieve a top 6 spot and getting the first league win at home is vital for Tony Pulis.

As far as the team goes I think we will begin to see his preferred team the guys he trusts the most and who is not included in the match day squad could be the indication that they are surplus to requirements and not in his strategy moving ahead.

Fulham are a decent team and will give us a real game of football and we will do well to beat them but we are capable of doing just that

@BD no it is not this is your third but you get this seasons record if you do the next two!

Massively important game the momentum has to continue if we are to achieve a top 6 spot and getting the first league win at home is vital for Tony Pulis.

As far as the team goes I think we will begin to see his preferred team the guys he trusts the most and who is not included in the match day squad could be the indication that they are surplus to requirements and not in his strategy moving ahead.

Fulham are a decent team and will give us a real game of football and we will do well to beat them but we are capable of doing just that

Haha. Don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that :huh:

Randolph

Shotton

Ayala

Gibson

Friend

Clayton

Howson

Traore

Braithwaite

Downing

Assombolonga

Subs:

Ripley

Christie

Fry

Leadbitter

Johnson

Fletcher

Gestede

Really can’t see any way leadbitter and gestede don’t start

Ripley is on loan at Bury.

Has there been anything online about Friend's injury? I assume it was just a surface wound, but he did go off injured against the Mackems.

Talking Points - Gestede or Assombalonga?

That's not the right question, as they're not in direct competition.

Well we've played with 1 striker both the past 2 games. 1 game Assombalonga started, 1 game Gestede took his place in the team. How are they not in direct competition exactly?

If you mean that they're different kind of strikers, sure, no doubting that. But if there's still only place for one striker in the team, as there has been for the last 2 games which we've won, then it's one or the other, not both.

I'd say this is a game for Assombalonga, Fulham like to come out and play football so I'd be using Britt. He's started the two league games under Pulis and the last game was a cup game so he could have easily been given a rest. Can see us starting with Gestede against a lower team that will pack the box. Can't see him leaving out a player who has scored a third of our goals.

-----------Randolph------------

Shotton-Ayala-Gibson-Friend

-------Howson-Leadbitter------

Traore-Downing-Braithwaite

-------Assombalonga-------------

Would like to see Clayton given a start as well possibly in place of Leadbitter. Going for an edgy 2-1 Braithwaite FGS.