oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Fulham 0-1

We went with a full-strength side against Sunderland, don't know how Britt was just given a rest when the rest of them would have played in any other regular league match. Remember, Gestede came on against Preston and looked 10 times better for us than Britt in that game too. I think that's why he started against Sunderland. I just don't see him being dropped when he's come in for a game and a half now and has made us better as a team.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd say this is a game for Assombalonga

Will certainly be fascinating to see who gets the nod up front - maybe he'll try both?

-------------------- Randolph ------------------

-- Shotton --- Ayala -- Gibson --- Friend --

----------- Clayton ------ Howson ------------ 

--- Traore ------ Gestede ------ Downing ---

---------------- Assombalonga -----------------

We went with a full-strength side against Sunderland, don't know how Britt was just given a rest when the rest of them would have played in any other regular league match. Remember, Gestede came on against Preston and looked 10 times better for us than Britt in that game too. I think that's why he started against Sunderland. I just don't see him being dropped when he's come in for a game and a half now and has made us better as a team.

But Britt has looked a bit jaded recently and he has played a lot of minutes also over the holidays. He definately needed a rest. He's now had two weeks without any game minutes so should be raring to go although I wouldn't put it against Pulis to give Gestede another chance after his impact in the last two games.

But Britt has looked a bit jaded recently and he has played a lot of minutes also over the holidays. He definately needed a rest. He's now had two weeks without any game minutes so should be raring to go although I wouldn't put it against Pulis to give Gestede another chance after his impact in the last two games.

Maybe he was jaded and tired, played a lot of football for us all season long. But that still doesn't discount what Gestede has done in the team. I find it strange people are so willing to drop Gestede tbh. Over the holiday period, Howson, Leadbitter and Downing have also played a lot of football but it hasn't significantly affected them and they were still all picked for the Sunderland game.

I think people are just concerned we've got our top goalscorer who cost us £15m on our bench but if he's going to offer as little as he did against Preston in a Pulis system then I don't really know how to justify playing him ahead of a striker who actually has made a big difference to us in the last game and a half. You can't just will him to work in this system and we don't have time for him to adapt to it. Gestede works and we need points now so unless we change to use more than 1 striker, I can't pick any team with Britt in it right now.

Yes, only Randolph, Gibson and Assombalonga have started every league game (I believe), and obviously the former two do nowhere near as much running as Britt.

I'd say picking Gestede made sense in that game, considering they had about 6 defenders on the pitch and we knew they'd be camped in. Honestly I wouldn't mind if we did play Gestede for this game, I like him as a player and he is very effective at what he does and has proven he can score 20 goals in a team that puts balls into the box. 

I just feel Assombalonga's skill sets will help stretch Fulham better and he is still effective latching onto balls into the box. 

Pulis doesn't always go for a targetman, in fact if you look at his main strikers since he left Stoke: Fraser Campbell, Dwight Gayle, Glenn Murray, Berahino, Rondon, Robson-Kanu, Jay Rodriguez. They're all quite versatile forwards and I think Assombalonga fits his style of player.

After the game in the media conference, a journo asked Pulis why he chose to play his best 11.. Pulis gave the journo a dirty look and said something along the lines of "you think that's my best 11? that's your opinion, not mine".

Here is another forum that actually refers to this thread as "view from Borough". https://www.friendsoffulham.com/forum/index.php?topic=63226.0

They don't seem happy that I've used the cottagecorner as a reference to a view from the other side, so I better put a link to the friendsoffulham thread. Although that forum has given about 0 worthwhile posts about the game :) I know you are looking from the other side Mr TerryR so how about a few insights to your side of the match.

Is this the match day thread with the least interest this season? I though there would be a little more going on. Still a new manager, two wins on the bounce a big home game against a decent team.

Is this the match day thread with the least interest this season? I though there would be a little more going on. Still a new manager, two wins on the bounce a big home game against a decent team.

I know I haven’t been around much in recent months. But they seem to be dwindling by the week.

Is general traffic on the forum down?

Wednesday grab a point in the derby. Great result for us. Can possibly sneak into the playoff tomorrow with a win if Leeds don’t win away at Ipswich. Huge game.

The match threads have been quiet for a couple of months.  Not sure why.  I thought it was because people had got disillusioned under Monk (I will admit to having a bit of a break from the forum because I knew what the posts would be like...), but it doesn't seem to have picked up again.

The transfer thread is the quietest I've ever known, as well.

Agreed about the post build up before the game but last two league games we did have a high post count, it is because KM is not around for the match threads anymore.

Maybe once we see some continuity from the team and members feel we are going to have something to play for things will pick up/

However if we were on a losing spree the count would be higher.

Think this will be a good game of football