oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Fulham 0-1

The only thing that counts is the result, period.

Not sure that was what you said when monk won and you complained you still couldn’t see a plan

So you are saying results don,t matter?

At this stage of the season and with the rebuilding job that Pulis has had to oversee. I would argue that our chances of promotion are very slim and so a run of good performances, regardless of results will be more beneficial.

Saying that, was it a good performance? I missed the game as I was on a plane, but looking at the game stats, we had no shots on target and only 37% of possession at home! Those stats don’t make it sound as though we deserved much from the game.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure that was what you said when monk won and you complained you still couldn’t see a plan

I think he is saying what I was thinking too. If I'm not mistaken you were unhappy with Monk and the way we played even when we won games. Now you are saying it doesn't matter how we play as long as we win. At least that's how I read your post. You can play well and still lose, and that is something I will take comfort in. To me we are going in a better direction than under Monk, and that's a positive. We did enough to win, and sometimes you are just unfortunate.

I think he is saying what I was thinking too. If I'm not mistaken you were unhappy with Monk and the way we played even when we won games. Now you are saying it doesn't matter how we play as long as we win. At least that's how I read your post. You can play well and still lose, and that is something I will take comfort in. To me we are going in a better direction than under Monk, and that's a positive. We did enough to win, and sometimes you are just unfortunate.

A couple of weeks ago we did the same to Preston, so swings and roundabouts I suppose.

At this stage of the season and with the rebuilding job that Pulis has had to oversee. I would argue that our chances of promotion are very slim and so a run of good performances, regardless of results will be more beneficial.

Saying that, was it a good performance? I missed the game as I was on a plane, but looking at the game stats, we had no shots on target and only 37% of possession at home! Those stats don’t make it sound as though we deserved much from the game.

The stats are absolutely no reflection of the game.  I have no doubt we deserved to win (convincingly too).

The stats are absolutely no reflection of the game.  I have no doubt we deserved to win (convincingly too).

But that would involve having at least one shot on target.

Jokanovic vs Pulis, you'd expect them to have greater possession. The lack of shots on target probably says more about our finishing than anything. Gestede alone had two really good chances to score in the first half. Braithwaite nearly scored a quality goal, everything but the finish was terrific. At the other end, I don't remember much of note barring the penalty.

Liverpool only had 37% possession last night at home to City. It's what you do with possession. People were going mental under previous managers when we just strolled around with the ball and racked up the percentages instead of getting forward. We created enough chances to score 4 goals, but somehow missed them all.

I don't think anybody has said that this season.

Point is you've changed your tone. Previous manager we were doomed even when we won because the manager wasn't right and the plan wasn't there. That proved to be the case in time, though only as the results wore thin.

But now we have the manager, a plan and a performance and you're concerned about a single, last-minute dodgy penalty smash and grab result over a performance that didn't really get what we deserved? Results like this aren't going to dictate our season. The important part is we still looked good enough to win. In our second-half dash towards the play-offs, being able to take anything out of a 1-0 loss at home is good or we might as well just cancel the season.

Disappointed  with the result, thought we played well and think that given the opportunities that Gestede got I think Assombalonga would have scored... But the performance overall was okay, against one of the form teams that was tipped for automatics this year, I was feeling we deserved more than a point and then we ended up with nothing right at the death.

I'm hoping Clayton gets a start next game, although I thought Leadbitter had a really good game which made it all the worse when he was the one who gave the pen away. Howson was a bit anonymous, but he's had a lot of good games recently so will let him off.

Britt did get a chance like that and missed, although you could argue that he was under more pressure from the defender.

It was a significantly harder chance than both of Gestedes. Ball was bouncing and the defender was very close.

One of Gestedes there was no pressure whatsoever and he managed to screw up, the other there was very little pressure and he put it wide.

No I’m saying that you are now saying results are everything but when monk was in charge you were saying results weren’t everything

Although our chances weren't shots on target we still had good chances to score:

Gestede through one-on-one and missed, really should have scored. Gestede also missed the target from another good position. Braithwaite hit the side netting after a good run, was pretty close. Had a stonewall pen turned down, all pundits and commentators were baffled how it wasn't given. Britt hit the bar towards the end.

Although our chances weren't shots on target we still had good chances to score:

Gestede through one-on-one and missed, really should have scored. Gestede also missed the target from another good position. Braithwaite hit the side netting after a good run, was pretty close. Had a stonewall pen turned down, all pundits and commentators were baffled how it wasn't given. Britt hit the bar towards the end.

We created by far the better chances and a lot more of them

Of course results matter. We're 2 points off the play offs.

I managed to watch the first 60 minutes and we were all over them. We played quite direct which probably skews the stats but there's no doubt we deserved the 3 points let alone 0.