oneBoro Forum

Middlesbrough referee controversy: Why ex-Sunderland season ticket holder was allowed to officiate Fulham defeat

http://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/middlesbrough-referee-controversy-ex-sunderland-14156774

Interesting that we won the other 3 games in which he took charge of us

Yeah I don't think him supporting SUnderland has anything to do with him missing the penalty on Braithwaite. That was just poor refereeing, and I can't blame him for giving Fulham theirs.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The only thing that counts is the result, period.

Not sure that was what you said when monk won and you complained you still couldn’t see a plan

So you are saying results don,t matter?

I don't think anybody has said that this season.

Point is you've changed your tone. Previous manager we were doomed even when we won because the manager wasn't right and the plan wasn't there. That proved to be the case in time, though only as the results wore thin.

But now we have the manager, a plan and a performance and you're concerned about a single, last-minute dodgy penalty smash and grab result over a performance that didn't really get what we deserved? Results like this aren't going to dictate our season. The important part is we still looked good enough to win. In our second-half dash towards the play-offs, being able to take anything out of a 1-0 loss at home is good or we might as well just cancel the season.

It's not what I previously said nor implied. I have implied the only thing that count are results. I believe you are simply seeking conflict.

Your comments under Monk were performance related, win or lose you still had something negative to say. Not to say you were wrong, in fact the opposite was true in the end. Pulis, it's now all about the result. If there's no 3 points, there's nothing good to talk about.

I'm not seeking any conflict with you, I'm saying people on here probably came to the conclusion you'd be happier with what's happened since the new boss came in because we've looked more likely to improve and your long-term visions would improve as thus. But now it seems you've gone the other way and have turned up after an undeserved defeat preaching that nothing else counts. By all means, your opinion is yours and you're free to have it but I don't think the change in direction is going to be welcomed by everyone.

Your comments under Monk were performance related, win or lose you still had something negative to say. Not to say you were wrong, in fact the opposite was true in the end. Pulis, it's now all about the result. If there's no 3 points, there's nothing good to talk about.

I'm not seeking any conflict with you, I'm saying people on here probably came to the conclusion you'd be happier with what's happened since the new boss came in because we've looked more likely to improve and your long-term visions would improve as thus. But now it seems you've gone the other way and have turned up after an undeserved defeat preaching that nothing else counts. By all means, your opinion is yours and you're free to have it but I don't think the change in direction is going to be welcomed by everyone.

Since when were you appointed spokes person for everyone? My opinions at the time of happening are performance related, period, take them as negative as you wish I couldn’t give a monkey. You are almost implying I’m somehow to blame for Monk departure, laughable, and as for Pulis I’ll judge him on the same, performance. If you read my posts as implied you do, you would know, I’m once again working in foreign lands.

Wow. You know what, never mind. Reminding you of your comments vs. your comments now does not in any way imply you were to blame for the previous manager's departure. If anybody else can make that connection then feel free to let me know where that's come from. Until then, wow. I'm baffled.

I don't think results are the only thing that matters if we are seeing signs of improvement and progression.

That was my complaint under Monk we looked disorganised from the start to the end of his regime.

I feel like we are seeing a shape and pattern to the team already under Pulis, I think we've looked better in each game we've played and the signs are positive. Saturday's game was just one of those days, we should have won comfortably and I left the ground upbeat rather than dejected.

If anyone was in doubt about the "Challenge" on Braithwaite:

https://twitter.com/EverythingMFC/status/952227604043530240

The only way I can look at that any other way than a penalty is if the referee adjudges Braithwaite's arm swing as being a foul before Kalas responds by throwing him to the ground. But he didn't give anything. His actions ruled out a penalty and to play on, nothing more.

There are definitely positives to be taken from the loss on Saturday as there was a clear plan that nearly worked. We really should have scored at least a couple and any Fulham goal should have been a consolation. We got sucker punched with some bad luck at the end to take away the point.. that happens in football. If the team plays like that most weeks and finishes better then we will 100% have improved and will win most games.

Most of the defeats (even some wins) under Monk I came away struggling to understand what we were even trying to do... and not feeling optimistic at all that things would improve. What positives could be taken from the Millwall defeat.. same issues as the previous however many games, zero progression in half a season.

To be fair to Gestede we improved vs Preston on when he came on and scored against Sunderland last week. I think after he went off we struggled to hold up the ball and allowed Fulham back into the game although that could have been due to the team as a whole tiring.

I think Assombalonga if he isn't scoring hasn't been offering much more of late although I probably would still like to see him start for us.

But again Britt wasn't making the runs or defending from the front and he wasn't able to hold up the ball when coming deep. Gestede improved the team in that game just as much if not more than the Bamford change.

Britt looked a bit brighter when he came on on Saturday so I'm hoping he takes the chance Gestede has all but handed to him and makes sure he deserves to keep his place in the team on game-by-game merit. He can't have been happy being dropped but he has to realise that was as much down to him as it was Gestede's impact. I'm sure Pulis has told him as much.

• Latest Posts

• I was much happier with Boro's performance but the defence looked brittle to non existent against a struggling side.
    • Do hope his training ground nickname is Willy Kok or I'll have lost all respect for our lads.
    • Scene 1: Int (Night) [It’s 3am in a kitchen lit by the glow of the moon. Neil Warnock walks in yawning, wearing Paddington Bear pyjamas and fluffy slippers. He opens the fridge and takes out a bottle of milk. When he shuts the door, a ghostly white apparition has appeared behind it] WARNOCK [dropping the milk]: Jesus Christ! APPARITION: Not quite. [The ghostly white features move closer] No use crying over it, though, eh? WARNOCK: G…Garry? APPARITION: Yes. It is me. Garry. WARNOCK [looking around wildly]: How the hell did you get into my kitchen? MONK: I go wherever I want, and nobody ever seems to stop me. I find it quite peculiar. Middlesbrough…Birmingham…Sheffield Wednesday…Sky…I have the ability to slither in without invitation and then hang around until the scales fall off people’s eyes and they see me for what I really am. WARNOCK [composing himself]: So why are you in my house, Friar Took-all-the-money? MONK: I just wanted to tell you how much I enjoyed watching the Rotherham game on Wednesday. WARNOCK: I bloody didn’t. I had to fill the bench with kids. They had an average age of 11. MONK: No, I didn’t enjoy watching Middlesbrough. I enjoyed watching Rotherham. I get a certain pleasure from watching teams getting relegated. I mean, I get a lot of pleasure. It gives me a semi-final feeling. WARNOCK: Well, you certainly gave relegation a good go with my lot. MONK: I did my best, but my plan didn’t work at Middlesbrough. I was hoping to bankrupt them, but Mr Gibson found a Post-It note with my calculations of how many strikers I needed to buy to guarantee liquidation. He made me leave before I could finish the job. I did hope Tony Bent would finish what I started, but he spent all the money on defenders so they ended up drawing every game 0-0. Even the village idiot couldn’t find his way to League One. And then you came along with your mid-table mediocrity. [Hisses] You hero. WARNOCK: Hero? We’re tenth. And we’re bloody broke, thanks to you. I only found Watmore cos he was working in the local Sainsbury's garage when I went to fill up the Montego. His signing-on fee was a Big Mac meal cos he hadn’t eaten for three days. MONK: You’re still not going to be relegated, though. Such a disappointment. But my greatest project is Sheffield Wednesday. I've really put them through it, haven't I? Oh, that's managers for you; they always know which buttons to press. WARNOCK: The self-destruct one in your case. I still can’t believe what a shambles you made of that transfer kitty. I’m having to let Fletcher and Assombalonga leave for free cos we can’t afford to pay them any more. We've even prised all the 50p pieces out of the electricity meter, and it's still not enough. MONK [runs his tongue over his teeth]: I did my best. In the end, I couldn’t get Boro relegated, but I sowed the seeds of the club's decline. They'd be established in the Premier League if I hadn't buggered up the finances so much. Which means you'd be a Premier League manager, instead of a Championship one again. It was all me, Neil. It’s always been me. The author of all your pain. Scene 2: Int (Night) [The Warnock marital bed. Mrs W is wearing a Bri-Nylon nightie and an eye mask, sitting up as her husband rolls around screaming] MRS W [shaking Warnock awake]: Neil? Neil? Wake up! WARNOCK [trembling]: Oh God, that was awful. MRS W: The James Bond dream again? WARNOCK: Yes. But this time, the baddy was a snake. MRS W [calmly]: Oh, it was Monk this time, was it? You really need to stop eating Stilton before bed. You know it gives you nightmares. WARNOCK [rubbing eyes]: I'll give you nightmares. Have you seen my injury list? [Ends]   Match details: It’s a 3pm kick-off on Saturday, at ‘fortress’ Riverside.   Form guide: We’re mired in mid-table mediocrity, but Wednesday may be about to follow Boro’s example of being relegated due to a points deduction. At least their descent will be less high-profile than their near neighbours United, who are about to follow Boro’s example of being relegated with less than 30 points.   View from the other side: No MDT from the familiar-looking Owlstalk forum yet, but there is a thread called “Colin loves us really”, which is worth a read.   Questions for the audience: 1.       Who makes your starting XI? 2.       Given Connor Malley’s man-of-the-match debut, which other youngsters would you like to see in the squad/team? 3.       If you could only choose one, would you prefer to see Wednesday or Derby go down?
    • Nah, you're thinking of that Reg Dwight fella. Mind you, when you're born Reginald Kenneth Dwight, Elton Hercules John is a big improvement. 😮  
    • "FENTON, FENTON...FENTON JOHN, WHEN YA GONNA BRING HIM ON?"