oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield Wednesday 0-0

What do we do to strikers??

In recent years ...

Gestede goes on you can guarantee we will start playing it on the floor and hes had an injury so still recovering his touch from that.

Britt goes on it get blasted in the air at him and hes greedy also lazy, if he doesnt score you really notice he contributes nothing. 

If Rhodes use to go on we never played it with pace across the box for him to latch onto, considering at Blackburn he was a good at getting on the end of them.

Bamford got his confidence knocked by been dropped for so long. 

Kike I loved why did we let him go he might not be the best striker weve ever had but his passion and effort was far above alot of players.

Nugent - Worked hard but you could tell his age.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of our chances was from set pieces. We didn’t create many chances from open play. We’re slow and predictable and too easy to defend against. Traore is the only one offering anything behind the striker. With Bamford on the opposite wing we have no danger as he hasn’t got a clue about what he is doing out there. Try to contain Traore and we’re nothing more than average. Our lone striker has zero support apart from Traore.  And as an attacking midfielder downings contribution is exceptionally poor. Sure he sprays the passes around but does he even have an assist or goal this season?

Yes, 1 goal and 4 assists, to be precise. He's actually our joint top assist getter tied with Christie.

https://www.whoscored.com/Teams/21/Show/England-Middlesbrough

Plus, Downing is the guy that gets the ball to the wide men, he may not pick up assists for it but all of our play is running through him. 

I understand taking issue with Bamford but taking issue with Downing is mad, he's probably been our best player this season.

You’re right about downing and I probably should have checked his stats :) let’s cross our fingers that Harrison is something special because there is too much pressure on Traore to create everything.

Most of our chances was from set pieces. We didn’t create many chances from open play. We’re slow and predictable and too easy to defend against. Traore is the only one offering anything behind the striker. With Bamford on the opposite wing we have no danger as he hasn’t got a clue about what he is doing out there. Try to contain Traore and we’re nothing more than average. Our lone striker has zero support apart from Traore.  And as an attacking midfielder downings contribution is exceptionally poor. Sure he sprays the passes around but does he even have an assist or goal this season?

Yes, 1 goal and 4 assists, to be precise. He's actually our joint top assist getter tied with Christie.

Plus, Downing is the guy that gets the ball to the wide men, he may not pick up assists for it but all of our play is running through him. 

I understand taking issue with Bamford but taking issue with Downing is mad, he's probably been our best player this season.

You’re right about downing and I probably should have checked his stats :) let’s cross our fingers that Harrison is something special because there is too much pressure on Traore to create everything.

Totally agree, Traore needs help on the other side, at times he was having 2-3 men close him down. 

I know we weren't great today but how we've missed all those chances.

Also, I'll say that Britts header, Bamfords saved header in the first half and Bamfords shot over the bar in the second were all from open play and arguably all should have been goals.

The assists is a poor reflection. Key passes are a better reflection but even then it’s down to someone’s opinion what is a key pass

The assists is a poor reflection.  Key passes are a better reflection but even then it’s down to someone’s opinion what is a key pass

Alrght, he's far and away the best at that too with 2 key passes per game, next best is Baker with 1.4 and Howson with 1.1

you're right it's subjective what key passes are, so I'm just using whoscored again.

The assists is a poor reflection.  Key passes are a better reflection but even then it’s down to someone’s opinion what is a key pass

Alrght, he's far and away the best at that too with 2 key passes per game, next best is Baker with 1.4 and Howson with 1.1

you're right it's subjective what key passes are, so I'm just using whoscored again.

I’m actually agreeing with you about Britt

Highlights are on sky - http://www.skysports.com/football/mboro-vs-sheff-wed/374963

Plenty of chances created from open play.

I’m not sure what’s up with assombolonga, but his movement off the ball still seems to be lacking. He’s just not in a position for chances half the time. Bamford had more chances in the game playing from the wing. Was a bad day - both Gibbo and Ayala should have scored, but I’d rather this performance than the games under Monk any day. It will come - just need someone to hit a streak and we’ll be on a run

The general consensus on here a few weeks ago was that Britt was gonna be our first choice striker under Pulis. Is anybody having second thoughts now?

He's a waste of space at the moment.

The general consensus on here a few weeks ago was that Britt was gonna be our first choice striker under Pulis. Is anybody having second thoughts now?

The evidence so far suggest everyone was correct.

There was one point in the 2nd half where Friend had the ball on the left and Britt was moving towards the channel to give him an option and he just stopped as if to run in behind instead. It summed up his night entirely. No doubt he doesn't get as much support as he used to, can't blame him entirely for that. But it was a simple decision. Friend had no way of delivering the ball the way Britt wanted it to go in the end and the ball into the channel was a much simpler option. Britt's movement initially indicated to Friend that that's where he wanted the ball but he didn't continue his run into the channel and that lead to us losing the ball.

Starting to think the only way Britt scores in a Pulis team is by playing off another striker. I'd be very tempted to put Gestede and Britt on from the start of the next game. If we stick to a single striker, I just can't see how Britt is a justified choice right now.

Another very frustrating game to watch. We make getting a goal look like trying to lick your own elbow. It shouldn't be this blooming hard.

We were pretty good for the first 15 minutes and the last 20 minutes. Awful inbetween. Sloppy passing, no movement, forever going backwards.

I think Wednesday decided to attack the other end first half to negate traore it meant he was on the opposite side to pulis, and they must have done their homework and knew that he wasn't as much a threat in second halves. Pulis swapped him over to the left wing after about half an hour. He was still the only real good thing about the game though traore. Very positive, just lost the ball a few too many times.

How none of britt or ayalas chances went in I'll never know. There must be a forcefield over the goals.

The evidence so far suggest everyone was correct.

I disagree like I did then, the consensus was that his place wasn't under threat and it wasn't even a serious debate. He looks dreadful at the moment and I think he'll be lucky to hold down his place unless he improves quickly.

His touch is woeful, he can't hold the ball up and his work rate isn't good enough. I don't think Pulis rates any of our strikers.