oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield Wednesday 0-0

Wonder if anyone else has tried it or come up with a solution yet. I mean who would have thought to defend in numbers against better teams. If you read some posts one thing is for sure we seem to be playing better. Don't underestimate seem, seem can win games but sobering, can also distort reality. I,m sure we learnt more lessons this season as we have the last, and the one before the last, of the one before the last one. One thing we need to do is ban selling tickets to anyone that boos. Well it's just not on is it. Its a football game and your not expected to have return on investment. If you wanted enjoyment than why support the BORO, eh. Nay ban anyone that winges. I guess you note I'm not that interested and haven't for a while, which is probably why im enjoying it. Happy days.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of common sense needed here i think. If the opposition are playing two banks of four in front of their box we're going to struggle to create good chances from open play. One thing Monk was criticised for was his lack of Plan A and B. Pulis seems to at least be a pragmatist. We couldn't find a way through playing the way we might normally do so we resorted to set pieces. By the sounds of it we should have put at least one of them away. Sounds like we were unlucky under difficult circumstances.

What confused me most about last night was that Troare had their left back skinned every time, so why when after he had been booked did we swap him and Bamford around. Enough chances to have won the game, a bit of Lady Luck wouldn’t go amiss

Bit of common sense needed here i think. If the opposition are playing two banks of four in front of their box we're going to struggle to create good chances from open play. One thing Monk was criticised for was his lack of Plan A and B. Pulis seems to at least be a pragmatist. We couldn't find a way through playing the way we might normally do so we resorted to set pieces. By the sounds of it we should have put at least one of them away. Sounds like we were unlucky under difficult circumstances.

That makes it even more weird why he waited until the final 10 minutes to introduce Gestede. He should have been on long before that as it was clear we couldn't play our way through the Wednesday bus.

They didnt even play two banks of four last night they played five at the back with four in front of it.

What confused me most about last night was that Troare had their left back skinned every time, so why when after he had been booked did we swap him and Bamford around. Enough chances to have won the game, a bit of Lady Luck wouldn’t go amiss

I said this same thing. He should have been on that full back like a fly round a dog turd for the rest of the match.

That makes it even more weird why he waited until the final 10 minutes to introduce Gestede. He should have been on long before that as it was clear we couldn't play our way through the Wednesday bus.

I agree with that, we looked better when the 3 subs came on and it should have probably been done sooner.

People were moaning that Howson went off but having Clayton on the pitch actually seemed to allow Downing more freedom to get forward.

Gestede made more sense against the packed defence, but maybe he was leaving Assombalonga on to try to show trust in him all of our strikers confidence seems to be on the floor at the minute.

Could we see a shake up in the next game, maybe Braithwaite upfront?

I didn’t see last nights game, nor followed it. It does sound as though we are still struggling to score. Would it be worth changing formation and playing 2 up front? Maybe Gestede and Bamford, with Traore and Downing on the wings?

Has to worth a try. 

Bamford just kept getting in Downing's way last night, because Downing naturally drifts left, and Bamford tends to move central.

I didn’t see last nights game, nor followed it. It does sound as though we are still struggling to score. Would it be worth changing formation and playing 2 up front? Maybe Gestede and Bamford, with Traore and Downing on the wings?

59 shot's combined against Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham and Villa at home... no goals, throwing more strikers at it probably wont help when they can't finish for toffee  :D

I think it's just a case of waiting it out till one of our strikers hits some form to be honest, I think the formation is working as intended, we've scored 3 goals in both away games and failed to score in all 3 home games... maybe if fans stopped booing our players they wouldn't be under so much pressure.

We created about 5 absolute golden "should have scored" chances.

How many of those types of chances do you want to create in a game?

Regardless of how well or bad we played we created far and away enough chances to COMFORTABLY win, which is ultimately the point.

We created two really good chances only - both Ayala headers from the set pieces.  Bamford's wasn't a good chance, he was stretching to hit a shot on the turn with his wrong foot.  Assombalonga couldn't generate any real power on the header and what else was there?  Bamford's header early on he did the best he could do with it and the keeper saved it, Gibson's header was again about as good as he could do under pressure from two defenders.  Good chances aren't simply down to their proximity to the goal, it's about the likelihood of scoring.  We had plenty of shots last night, most of which were nowhere near to actually finding the back of the net, that's ultimately the point.

Pulis's tactics undoubtedly work when he has sides battling to avoid relegation in the Premier League where relying on set pieces and quick counter attacks is that backbone of his success, but that isn't enough when you're wanting to be a promotion battling side in the Championship. All too often yesterday we wasted possession when we got the ball in defensive areas as we either just hit it long or were trying to force a pass through the central areas, seemingly trying to find a quick counter attack. It's the sort of style that will work better away from home but when we're at home we're going to have to be far cleverer with the ball. It all seems like all the team are thinking about is to get the ball forward as quickly as possible. Sorry but we're going to need far more quality, movement and composure on the ball if we're ever going to get promoted. Loads of fans complain whenever we pass the ball sideways and backwards, as we did under previous managers, but I think that calming composing figure in central midfield is vital to help us get on the ball and control the game with quality and allows our fullbacks to get forward. This rushed football is not only terrible to watch but it's also not effective at this level. When Clayton came on we looked a bit better in possession. Under Pulis I think the concept of fullbacks getting forward is pretty alien to him so I'm not holding out hope but I think we're massively lacking that overlap down the flanks. Our fullbacks get forward in a far more limited sense, but all they seem to do is to put useless crosses into the box. I'm far more of a fan of two holding midfielders with fullbacks supporting and a high quality #10 providing the creativity. This two banks of four without any overlapping fullbacks is massively limited. We're created a good number of poor to average quality chances - other than Ayala's easy late header, and we conceded minimal chances against us, so we probably deserved to win based on the chances created, but there are still fundamental flaws in this style when we're at home so I'm starting to lose a bit of faith in this style of football.

59 shot's combined against Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham and Villa at home... no goals, throwing more strikers at it probably wont help when they can't finish for toffee  :D

I think it's just a case of waiting it out till one of our strikers hits some form to be honest, I think the formation is working as intended, we've scored 3 goals in both away games and failed to score in all 3 home games... maybe if fans stopped booing our players they wouldn't be under so much pressure.

Are they still booing the players? That certainly won’t help.