oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield Wednesday 0-0

Im not kidding myself, if you read my replies properly you'll see that I've admitted we didn't play well! All I'm saying is that we had enough chances to win the game and I've described most of them.

As for the morons booing in the ground I don't really care what they think but when you grind out a 1-0 win you don't usually here them booing do you.

We played a team tonight who played 5-4-1, that wasn't a team that were gonna be easy to break down. They didn't even play with wingbacks it was a flat back 5 for most of the game with two midfielders sat in front of it.

I'm not a hugefan of the type of football that Pulis plays sometimes, I'd rather have Guardiola type football. I do trust him to sort things out here though and have us contending for promotion eventually.

I did read your replies properly.  I read it when you said there were signs of our home form turning the corner, which is what I meant you are kidding yourself about.  If the performance last night had been under Monk you'd have been one of the first people on here ripping it to shreds.  We were poor last night, you've said it yourself.

People booing may be morons in your opinion but they weren't doing it for effect.  It was because they were watching ***e from a team that should be capable of a lot more.

What does Sheff Wed's formation matter?  I don't remember you ever using that as a reason to defend limp performances under Monk?  All of a sudden it's an issue?  Let's hope that no other teams figure out that putting men behind the ball stops us from playing well or we'll be screwed won't we?  :dodgy:

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Bit of common sense needed here i think. If the opposition are playing two banks of four in front of their box we're going to struggle to create good chances from open play. One thing Monk was criticised for was his lack of Plan A and B. Pulis seems to at least be a pragmatist. We couldn't find a way through playing the way we might normally do so we resorted to set pieces. By the sounds of it we should have put at least one of them away. Sounds like we were unlucky under difficult circumstances.

We didn't resort to set pieces.  They've always been an avenue for goals in Pulis teams as far as I can remember.  Do you really think that we got frustrated with not being able to create anything so Pulis shouts out, "right boys, just focus on winning us some corners and freekicks now"?  Our general play was mostly crap, not entirely crap, but mostly crap so the best bet we had was set pieces by default.

What confused me most about last night was that Troare had their left back skinned every time, so why when after he had been booked did we swap him and Bamford around. Enough chances to have won the game, a bit of Lady Luck wouldn’t go amiss

I said this same thing. He should have been on that full back like a fly round a dog turd for the rest of the match.

Probably because after the first 15 mins or so he reverted to type, standing around waiting for the ball and playing like a little kid in a game of adults.  I've never seen a professional footballer so unable to understand basics of the game like movement off the ball, anticipating things and just generally understanding what he's supposed to be doing at any given time.  He stands there waiting for the ball so that he can run at people and when that doesn't work, which it doesn't sometimes, he literally has nothing else to offer the team, nothing at all.  He wasn't even doing the defensive stuff half the time. He did a couple of really good things last night, really good high quality things that he deserves to be applauded for, but the bulk of it was something you'd expect watching a primary school game.

I didn’t see last nights game, nor followed it. It does sound as though we are still struggling to score. Would it be worth changing formation and playing 2 up front? Maybe Gestede and Bamford, with Traore and Downing on the wings?

59 shot's combined against Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham and Villa at home... no goals, throwing more strikers at it probably wont help when they can't finish for toffee  :D

I think it's just a case of waiting it out till one of our strikers hits some form to be honest, I think the formation is working as intended, we've scored 3 goals in both away games and failed to score in all 3 home games... maybe if fans stopped booing our players they wouldn't be under so much pressure.

Are they still booing the players? That certainly won’t help.

The game finished about 14 hours ago so I think they'll have stopped by now mate.

59 shots isn't 59 chances Foogle.  Assuming you watched the game last night then you'll have seen Britt smash one from about 25 yards that was nowhere near, a couple of shots from Traore from distance that did nothing, Bamford trying one from outside the area that went straight to the keeper etc.  Our general attacking play isn't good enough.  We're heavily reliant on set pieces and Traore running fast and skinning people.  Other than that what have we really got at the moment?  I mean really, what else is there in our attacking play?  Downing is doing his best to his credit but drops deeper and deeper to get on the ball as he was doing last night.

I thought Adama had a poor game by his recent standards, but still looked the only one capable of opening them. His control was so poor at times it bounced 10 yards past his fullback, which he used to go tearing past. One of his problems is getting a bit lost when things aren’t working out and reverting to his old ways.

My main concern at the moment is seeing Britt go from being on track to break all our scoring records, to now looking a shell of himself. Instead of forcing the players into a system that isn’t working, play to their strengths.

I didn’t see last nights game, nor followed it. It does sound as though we are still struggling to score. Would it be worth changing formation and playing 2 up front? Maybe Gestede and Bamford, with Traore and Downing on the wings?

59 shot's combined against Wednesday, Brighton, Fulham and Villa at home... no goals, throwing more strikers at it probably wont help when they can't finish for toffee  :D

I think it's just a case of waiting it out till one of our strikers hits some form to be honest, I think the formation is working as intended, we've scored 3 goals in both away games and failed to score in all 3 home games... maybe if fans stopped booing our players they wouldn't be under so much pressure.

Are they still booing the players? That certainly won’t help.

The game finished about 14 hours ago so I think they'll have stopped by now mate.

59 shots isn't 59 chances Foogle.  Assuming you watched the game last night then you'll have seen Britt smash one from about 25 yards that was nowhere near, a couple of shots from Traore from distance that did nothing, Bamford trying one from outside the area that went straight to the keeper etc.  Our general attacking play isn't good enough.  We're heavily reliant on set pieces and Traore running fast and skinning people.  Other than that what have we really got at the moment?  I mean really, what else is there in our attacking play?  Downing is doing his best to his credit but drops deeper and deeper to get on the ball as he was doing last night.

The definition of a chance created is a pass that leads to a goal or a shot on goal. In that view I would say that a chance is defined as a shot or a goal...

I obviously agree that all shots aren't created equally, but last night you can't say we didn't create enough clear cut opportunities that we shouldn't have scored. I'm not trying to say it was a good performance from us or anything...

The definition of a chance created is a pass that leads to a goal or a shot on goal. In that view I would say that a chance is defined as a shot or a goal...

I obviously agree that all shots aren't created equally, but last night you can't say we didn't create enough clear cut opportunities that we shouldn't have scored. I'm not trying to say it was a good performance from us or anything...

And is that your definition as a football fan?  Some statistician has created that definition to enable them to try and remove any subjectivity from it, which is understandable but doesn't make it correct.  All shots aren't created equally but that doesn't feature in that definition.  You can't say it's right and then accept that it's incorrect.

We created two clear cut opportunities last night - the two Ayala headers - and that's it.  I've got no problem with saying that this was two more than they created so we could have won the game.  However we didn't play well and rightly or wrongly I expect quite a bit more from this team, which may well be my own failing rather than theirs to be fair.

We created two clear cut opportunities last night - the two Ayala headers - and that's it.

I agree with your sentiment, our overall performance wasn't good enough last night but this bit above is just plain wrong. Bamford, Britt and Braithwaite all had good chances to score and spurned them.

We created two clear cut opportunities last night - the two Ayala headers - and that's it.

I agree with your overall sentiment, our overall performance wasn't good enough last night but this bit above is just plain wrong. Bamford, Britt and Braithwaite all had good chances to score and spurned them.

I think those chances were more difficult than people are making out. For example, a shot on the turn with your weaker foot whilst you're also having to stretch isn't an easy chance, it's actually pretty difficult really.

I agree with your overall sentiment, our overall performance wasn't good enough last night but this bit above is just plain wrong. Bamford, Britt and Braithwaite all had good chances to score and spurned them.

I think those chances were more difficult than people are making out. For example, a shot on the turn with your weaker foot whilst you're also having to stretch isn't an easy chance, it's actually pretty difficult really.

But Bamford and Britt's headers from a few yards out have to qualify surely? Braithwaite's at the end was trickier cause there was a lot of bodies in the way.

Regardless, like you I want to see more from this team at home against opposition who are struggling. Lots of points dropped by teams above us last night, had we won it we'd be a point off the playoffs and 7 off the autos. Massive opportunity wasted.

Does anybody feel that trying a 442 with Downing left, Traore right and shake up the midfield dropping Grant and bringing in a combo of Christie/Howson to add a little attacking intent and pace while still being covered defensively...then Britt could have a strike partner and Goerge could stick to defending too.

........................................Randolph.............................

Shotton.........Ayala..............................Gibson.......Friend..

...............................Christie.......Howson................................

Traore......................................................................Downing

.............................Britt......................Another

I think the Braithwaite one was a pretty good chance at the end, to be fair. I'd have to see it again to be certain of that but it looked like a really good chance, a forward of his talents should have tested the keeper. He placed it right down his throat rather than picking a corner and smacking it. The others weren't what I'd call clear cut. Clear cut chances are surely chances that a team should score.

But Bamford and Britt's headers from a few yards out have to qualify surely? Braithwaite's at the end was trickier cause there was a lot of bodies in the way.

Regardless, like you I want to see more from this team at home against opposition who are struggling. Lots of points dropped by teams above us last night, had we won it we'd be a point off the playoffs and 7 off the autos. Massive opportunity wasted.

I thought Bamford did as well as he could with his header and the keeper saved it so I don't see how that could be called a clear cut chance.  With Britt's it seemed to me that the cross was a touch too high and maybe a little behind him to generate enough power and get the right direction on it.  Other people may disagree but having watched the highlights a few times that's what it appears like to me.