oneBoro Forum

Boro v Sheffield Wednesday 0-0

I said during the game I thought the Bamford chance was difficult and I fully acknowledge that HOWEVER I do think he should have still hit the target, realistically.

britts header maybe I need to see again cause it looked inch perfect for him and then he just heads it straight at the keeper. maybe it was more difficult than that but I'm not sold.

• Replies 312
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the Braithwaite one was a pretty good chance at the end, to be fair. I'd have to see it again to be certain of that but it looked like a really good chance, a forward of his talents should have tested the keeper. He placed it right down his throat rather than picking a corner and smacking it. The others weren't what I'd call clear cut. Clear cut chances are surely chances that a team should score.

We're always agreeing with each other these days  :heart:

Im not kidding myself, if you read my replies properly you'll see that I've admitted we didn't play well! All I'm saying is that we had enough chances to win the game and I've described most of them.

As for the morons booing in the ground I don't really care what they think but when you grind out a 1-0 win you don't usually here them booing do you.

We played a team tonight who played 5-4-1, that wasn't a team that were gonna be easy to break down. They didn't even play with wingbacks it was a flat back 5 for most of the game with two midfielders sat in front of it.

I'm not a hugefan of the type of football that Pulis plays sometimes, I'd rather have Guardiola type football. I do trust him to sort things out here though and have us contending for promotion eventually.

I did read your replies properly.  I read it when you said there were signs of our home form turning the corner, which is what I meant you are kidding yourself about.  If the performance last night had been under Monk you'd have been one of the first people on here ripping it to shreds.  We were poor last night, you've said it yourself.

People booing may be morons in your opinion but they weren't doing it for effect.  It was because they were watching *** from a team that should be capable of a lot more.

What does Sheff Wed's formation matter?  I don't remember you ever using that as a reason to defend limp performances under Monk?  All of a sudden it's an issue?  Let's hope that no other teams figure out that putting men behind the ball stops us from playing well or we'll be screwed won't we?  :dodgy:

Of course the opposition formation is going to have an impact, when they play 5-4-1 it's going to be more difficult to find space than when a team comes here and opens up a bit.

I agree we need to be better but we did create enough chances to win the game that's a fact.

I'm not saying we played well, I actually keep saying it in every single post but I can see signs of improvement over the course of the last few games. We look like a solid team defensively which is a start.

Most people I speak to seem to think the performances have improved, Neil Maddison said the same on the radio last night after the game and the Gazette reporters are also saying it. I'm not saying we've turned a corner either I think it's going to take time.

I really can't be bothered doing the whole Monk debate again, I went to town on him because I thought he was a useless manager. Pulis might not play Barcelona type football but I've got confidence in him to put things right that's why maybe I'm prepared to give him more time.

But Bamford and Britt's headers from a few yards out have to qualify surely? Braithwaite's at the end was trickier cause there was a lot of bodies in the way.

Regardless, like you I want to see more from this team at home against opposition who are struggling. Lots of points dropped by teams above us last night, had we won it we'd be a point off the playoffs and 7 off the autos. Massive opportunity wasted.

I thought Bamford did as well as he could with his header and the keeper saved it so I don't see how that could be called a clear cut chance.  With Britt's it seemed to me that the cross was a touch too high and maybe a little behind him to generate enough power and get the right direction on it.  Other people may disagree but having watched the highlights a few times that's what it appears like to me.

Just because the keeper saves it it's still a clear cut chance. I don't get what you are saying, are chances that keepers save not clear cut? Granted I haven't seen a replay but it was a free header from a few yards out and although the angle was tight it was still a clear cut chance. Just like Braithwaites chance at the end was clear cut but saved by the keeper.

We looked decent in the 1st 15 minutes of the game but after that I thought we huffed and puffed, Braithwaite should have bust the net near the end, tame effort, Ayala should have scored, and at times we resorted to desperation shots from outside the box that didn't trouble the keeper. Traore was trying like hell to create something, but our play is very predictable, its Friend or Traore and very little through the middle. If you didn't know who was playing, you would have thought 2 poor sides struggling in this league, Sheff Wed deserved their point.

Just because the keeper saves it it's still a clear cut chance. I don't get what you are saying, are chances that keepers save not clear cut? Granted I haven't seen a replay but it was a free header from a few yards out and although the angle was tight it was still a clear cut chance. Just like Braithwaites chance at the end was clear cut but saved by the keeper.

I don't think he could have done any better with the chance and he couldn't score so therefore it's not a clear cut chance in my opinion.

For those that have been digging at Downing - what game(s) have you been watching. He has got us into positions, provided crosses, passes etc and this is purely down to strikers to convert it.

I think Downing has done a massive redemption of himself considering last 2 seasons - which makes me question whether his performances were purely down to old regime vs the player himself.

Bamford's header was a half chance really, he did all he could do and hit the target with the keeper making a good save.

Braithwaite should have scored and Ayala's was a sitter at the end, it was probably harder to miss than score from that position.

For those that have been digging at Downing - what game(s) have you been watching. He has got us into positions, provided crosses, passes etc and this is purely down to strikers to convert it.

I think Downing has done a massive redemption of himself considering last 2 seasons - which makes me question whether his performances were purely down to old regime vs the player himself.

Downing's been the best of the bunch and you can't really have a go at him for not scoring enough goals because the whole of our midfield just doesn't score goals, that's how it is.

I don't think he could have done any better with the chance and he couldn't score so therefore it's not a clear cut chance in my opinion.

Are you saying that no chance that is well saved by a keeper is a clear cut chance?

Can't stand this 4-2-3-1 at home against teams that are going to sit there and defend with a back 9. Why on earth do we need two players protecting a back four.. especially now the full backs actually defend. So bored of seeing players crowbarred into those wide attacking midfield roles under three separate managers now.... Those positions are key in teams that actually play 4-2-3-1 well e.g. Hazard at Chelsea, Sanchez at ***nal, Martial at United etc etc ... these are their best and most dangerous players from the wide left whereas we stick an out of confidence centre forward there and expect it to function. I'm not saying sign Hazard.. but play to the strengths of what we have.. i.e. (On paper) good centre forwards and our two (on current form) best players who are wide midfielders, albeit one is better at direct dribbling and one at crossing.

Can Pulis not see Britt was isolated and was dying for some help.. Gestede should have come on at half time. We have Reading and Hull at home next.. would love to see us play two up top with Downing and Traore as orthodox wide midfielders but it won't happen.

Gestede-Britt

Downing-Clayton-Howson-Traore

Can't stand this 4-2-3-1 at home against teams that are going to sit there and defend with a back 9. Why on earth do we need two players protecting a back four.. especially now the full backs actually defend. So bored of seeing players crowbarred into those wide attacking midfield roles under three separate managers now.... Those positions are key in teams that actually play 4-2-3-1 well e.g. Hazard at Chelsea, Sanchez at ***nal, Martial at United etc etc ... these are their best and most dangerous players from the wide left whereas we stick an out of confidence centre forward there and expect it to function. I'm not saying sign Hazard.. but play to the strengths of what we have.. i.e. (On paper) good centre forwards and our two (on current form) best players who are wide midfielders, albeit one is better at direct dribbling and one at crossing.

Can Pulis not see Britt was isolated and was dying for some help.. Gestede should have come on at half time. We have Reading and Hull at home next.. would love to see us play two up top with Downing and Traore as orthodox wide midfielders but it won't happen.

Gestede-Britt

Downing-Clayton-Howson-Traore

We actually looked more threatening last night when Clayton replaced Howson, it seemed to give the more attack minded players licence to be more positive.

You could argue that Sheff Wed invited the pressure as well by being so deep but I don't think playing with 2 holding players has to be negative. It depends on what's going on around them.

Are you saying that no chance that is well saved by a keeper is a clear cut chance?

He's saying that a chance where the player couldn't have done any better that is saved by the goalkeeper is not a clear cut chance in his opinion.

No, I'm saying if a player can't do any better with a chance and he doesn't score then it isn't a clear cut chance.  How can it be in those circumstances?

A keeper can save a clear cut chance obviously but no clear cut chance should ever not be scored if the player does the best that can be realistically done with the chance.

No, I'm saying if a player can't do any better with a chance and he doesn't score then it isn't a clear cut chance.  How can it be in those circumstances?

A keeper can save a clear cut chance obviously but no clear cut chance should ever not be scored if the player does the best that can be realistically done with the chance.

Alright, so with Bamfords chance he did really well, it was going in, pretty low in the bottom corner and it was clawed off the line by the goal keeper (it was close enough that Bamford even looked around to ask if it had gone over the line). 

So what is stopping this one being a clear cut chance that was saved, rather than not a clear cut chance at all? I'm not really following your logic here.