oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window, Change of formation and this seasons failures.

The club ran at a loss for years, I presume Gibbo recouped a lot of that by us getting promoted.  That was probably his long term plan, he is a businessman not a benefactor after all.

That is exactly what he has done and I have no problem with that as I have mentioned many times on this exact thread. Not ambitious though is it? We still have one of the highest or THE highest ticket price in the league though don't we? He did come out and state that he wants us t smash the league at renewal time though didn't he?

Therein lies my frustration.

Fair enough, thats your frustration I tend to look at things slightly differently.

I don’t worship Gibbo, in fact I’ve been called out for being overly critical of him in the past.

However I don’t think that he has pulled the wool over anyone’s eyes. He genuinely wanted to smash the league, he is not a coach or a scout, he bought in players that were recommended by either the manager or the recruitment team, he trusted their judgement that these players would be the right ones to give promotion a good go.

It transpired that the players and the manager weren’t what they had seemed. Gibbo then sacked Monk and appointed Pulis to try and rescue things.

This must have cost him a lot of money, he didn’t have to do it, but he did. That shows to me that he wants the team to get promoted ASAP.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Are you for real?

He's spent £50 million in the Championship this season.

£50.9 million.

And recouped £46.5 million.

And banked all the PL money.

And charges fans one of the highest ticket prices in the league if not THE highest.

That's ambition is it?

Do you want to talk about the £150 million worth of debt he's wrote off or shall we just leave it there and accept you're a troll/WUM?

(I'm hoping for your sake you're a troll/WUM)

I cant say i agree with you unfortunately, i have to agree with Hobo on this one! (1st time for everything)

The money involved at the moment is ridiculous and an ambitious chairman would be making the most of the situation, if he was serious enough about smashing the league then he would be making most of this window, instead hes recouped money because he doesnt believe we are good enough to go up.

Talking about his past is irrelevant because even though the club was running at a loss and he was pumping money in each month, his assets were worth miles more because we were a stabilized premier league club.

He stopped pumping the money in when we became unstable and were looking at dropping out of the league.

Gibson has done wonderful things for the club, but im not going to not point blame at the current situation because of past history.

As a club and the fans its all about whats happening at present and it doesnt take an idiot to understand that the club is making the same mistakes time and time again

The club ran at a loss for years, I presume Gibbo recouped a lot of that by us getting promoted.  That was probably his long term plan, he is a businessman not a benefactor after all.

That is exactly what he has done and I have no problem with that as I have mentioned many times on this exact thread. Not ambitious though is it? We still have one of the highest or THE highest ticket price in the league though don't we? He did come out and state that he wants us t smash the league at renewal time though didn't he?

Therein lies my frustration.

Fair enough, thats your frustration I tend to look at things slightly differently.

I don’t worship Gibbo, in fact I’ve been called out for being overly critical of him in the past.

However I don’t think that he has pulled the wool over anyone’s eyes. He genuinely wanted to smash the league, he is not a coach or a scout, he bought in players that were recommended by either the manager or the recruitment team, he trusted their judgement that these players would be the right ones to give promotion a good go.

It transpired that the players and the manager weren’t what they had seemed. Gibbo then sacked Monk and appointed Pulis to try and rescue things.

This must have cost him a lot of money, he didn’t have to do it, but he did. That shows to me that he wants the team to get promoted ASAP.

I don't think he has intentionally mistreated the supporters but he has. The facts are that he did raise expectations when renewal time came around and he does overcharge the supporters in terms of ticketing. 

In my opinion he has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for a decade. The last time he did was under McClaren. Again, that is his choice as it is his money but if he is going to show such little ambition then charge the fans a fair price and don't come out with a load of nonsense at renewal time.

Are you for real?

£50.9 million.

And charges fans one of the highest ticket prices in the league if not THE highest.

That's ambition is it?

Do you want to talk about the £150 million worth of debt he's wrote off or shall we just leave it there and accept you're a troll/WUM?

I cant say i agree with you unfortunately, i have to agree with Hobo on this one! (1st time for everything)

The money involved at the moment is ridiculous and an ambitious chairman would be making the most of the situation, if he was serious enough about smashing the league then he would be making most of this window, instead hes recouped money because he doesnt believe we are good enough to go up.

Talking about his past is irrelevant because even though the club was running at a loss and he was pumping money in each month, his assets were worth miles more because we were a stabilized premier league club.

He stopped pumping the money in when we became unstable and were looking at dropping out of the league.

Gibson has done wonderful things for the club, but im not going to not point blame at the current situation because of past history.

As a club and the fans its all about whats happening at present and it doesnt take an idiot to understand that the club is making the same mistakes time and time again

Correct correct correct. He is living off past reputation and has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for far too long. He has slowly but surely gone from being a fan first and foremost to a businessman. 

If he is going to continue in this way then stop talking nonsense and reduce ticket prices. There is enough money in the game already without taking the proverbial pee out of loyal supporters.

And humpty if you are done with acting like a child I am still waiting for your points about this £150 million.

Are you for real?

£50.9 million.

That's ambition is it?

Correct correct correct. He is living off past reputation and has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for far too long. He has slowly but surely gone from being a fan first and foremost to a businessman. 

If he is going to continue in this way then stop talking nonsense and reduce ticket prices. There is enough money in the game already without taking the proverbial pee out of loyal supporters.

And humpty if you are done with acting like a child I am still waiting for your points about this £150 million.

The point is obviously that the club spent 150 million more than it had and Gibson took that hit. If he hadn't done that we could easily have been down the Blackpool, Blackburn, Sunderland, Hull street.

£50.9 million.

That's ambition is it?

The point is obviously that the club spent 150 million more than it had and Gibson took that hit. If he hadn't done that we could easily have been down the Blackpool, Blackburn, Sunderland, Hull street.

When did he write off this £150 million debt then?

£50.9 million.

That's ambition is it?

Sorry but i think you are are missing the main point of my view.

Gibson stopped pumping money in when we got relegated, and when we got relegated Gibson kept the majority of the parachute payments to make up for his losses. 

The season after relegation we didn't spend the parachute payments or the money we received for players like Downing, Huth, Tuncay and many more.

He only recently gave it a good go under Karanka after we reached the play-off final, before that we were relying on loan signings like Bamford, Kalas and co.

I pride myself on having a local man managing our club, however i wish fans would stop referring to his past like he hasnt made mistakes and blame people like Monk instead.

Gibson has made huge mistakes and this season is the same mistake as last season, it was obvious our recruitment team werent good enough last season and we didnt address it and trusted them again in the summer....now look where we are!

If Pulis intends on plating 4-4-2 it's even more baffling that Braithwaite was let go. That's he best position and where he made a name for himself in France. If the rumours are true that he was unhappy because he was promised to play as a striker when we bought him then I'm sure he would have stayed if playing with two strikers was Pulis' plan. It would also make more sense to keep 4 strikers if you plan on starting with two.

Pulis will continue with one up front. Maybe two in some games at home.

I think Pulis will continue with one man up front. Bamford can not play that role. Assombolonga can not play that role. That leaves us with Gestede. What a baffling situation.

Bamford played that role very effectively in his first season with us.  Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise.

Think it's way too oversimplified to talk about net spend from one season, the summer before was mainly all spending, so when we sold those Prem players that was balancing those books. We still had the most expensive team in the division... No matter how crap they are.

Gibson has always aired on the side of balancing the books, a lot of people's livelihoods rest on his shoulders. What if he went out and spent 20m this window, who of any value would we have got, no one of quality is available in Jan. Even then top 2 is impossible and our squad should be good enough for play offs and Pulis has confidence in that fact.

I like not being run by a crack pot owner who respects the club and tries to run it sustainably.

I am all for being sensible and prudent. We do not want to return to the days of 85/86. That is not the issue.

The issue is a) the ticket prices b) his pre-season proclamations and c) the amount of money the club has banked

I will say it again. We have some of the highest tickets if not THE highest in the leage. The chairman went on record saying we wanted to smash the league at a time when renewal letters were in the post. The club banked 150-160M from last season PL campaign. All of the above are facts.

I think most fans can accept us being a club that spends its time between the top two divisions but let ticket prices, expectations, predictions and honesty reflect that standing. Don't charge us a small fortune, raise our expectations, bank millions of pounds and then fail to deliver anything. That is the problem I have with Steve Gibson right now. He is living off his past reputation and treating the fans like idiots.

Totally Agree TLH.

This Gibson ar$e kissing has got to stop. I'm still quite sore about us surrendering PL status after a seven season slog and then compounded by some idiotic decisions from the chairman.

He certainly hasn't made many good decisions in the past decade. He hasn't shown any ambition either in that period. However, he still talks about the struggles of the area whilst charging extortionate ticket prices.

I am sick of the bull5h1t to be honest.

Why don't you go and support Man City then.

So Gibson lacks ambition and stopped investing. Ok, did you even look at annual accounts for several years that showed Middlesbrough were bleeding money and were crippled in debt to Barclays and other lenders. He was putting in millions a year to keep us afloat and cleared of all our debts.

What we've just seen in January is reality we have fallen short and protecting club from another potential money problem.

The players we've let go, loaned and sold were not exactly legends or first names on team sheet by any shadow of imagination.

I praise Tony in getting so much done in short time he is here. Would I have liked to see some attacking strength yes but we have to trust

Are you for real?

£50.9 million.

That's ambition is it?

You're not factoring in wages or any other associated costs.  They spent £5m on doing up the stadium last year.

Don't you have anything better to worry about, or do you happen to have several millions in your bank account you'd like to bank roll the club with.

I'm leaving this thread now.  Pure.  Annoying.  Drivel.

If Pulis intends on plating 4-4-2 it's even more baffling that Braithwaite was let go. That's he best position and where he made a name for himself in France. If the rumours are true that he was unhappy because he was promised to play as a striker when we bought him then I'm sure he would have stayed if playing with two strikers was Pulis' plan. It would also make more sense to keep 4 strikers if you plan on starting with two.

Pulis will continue with one up front. Maybe two in some games at home.

I think Pulis will continue with one man up front. Bamford can not play that role. Assombolonga can not play that role. That leaves us with Gestede. What a baffling situation.

Bamford played that role very effectively in his first season with us.  Absolute nonsense to suggest otherwise.

And as I mentioned, he played there in a team with a totally different style. Its like comparing apples and tomatoes. Pointless. He cannot play there in this team and he is useless everywhere else. Get rid and get as much money back on him as possible.

Think it's way too oversimplified to talk about net spend from one season, the summer before was mainly all spending, so when we sold those Prem players that was balancing those books. We still had the most expensive team in the division... No matter how crap they are.

Gibson has always aired on the side of balancing the books, a lot of people's livelihoods rest on his shoulders. What if he went out and spent 20m this window, who of any value would we have got, no one of quality is available in Jan. Even then top 2 is impossible and our squad should be good enough for play offs and Pulis has confidence in that fact.

I like not being run by a crack pot owner who respects the club and tries to run it sustainably.

I am all for being sensible and prudent. We do not want to return to the days of 85/86. That is not the issue.

The issue is a) the ticket prices b) his pre-season proclamations and c) the amount of money the club has banked

I will say it again. We have some of the highest tickets if not THE highest in the leage. The chairman went on record saying we wanted to smash the league at a time when renewal letters were in the post. The club banked 150-160M from last season PL campaign. All of the above are facts.

I think most fans can accept us being a club that spends its time between the top two divisions but let ticket prices, expectations, predictions and honesty reflect that standing. Don't charge us a small fortune, raise our expectations, bank millions of pounds and then fail to deliver anything. That is the problem I have with Steve Gibson right now. He is living off his past reputation and treating the fans like idiots.

Totally Agree TLH.

This Gibson ar$e kissing has got to stop. I'm still quite sore about us surrendering PL status after a seven season slog and then compounded by some idiotic decisions from the chairman.

He certainly hasn't made many good decisions in the past decade. He hasn't shown any ambition either in that period. However, he still talks about the struggles of the area whilst charging extortionate ticket prices.

I am sick of the bull5h1t to be honest.

Why don't you go and support Man City then.

OK, calm down superfan.

Are you for real?

£50.9 million.

That's ambition is it?

You're not factoring in wages or any other associated costs.  They spent £5m on doing up the stadium last year.

Don't you have anything better to worry about, or do you happen to have several millions in your bank account you'd like to bank roll the club with.

I'm leaving this thread now.  Pure.  Annoying.  Drivel.

Good. You have contributed absolutely nothing but childish nonsense and insults. Good riddance.

So Gibson lacks ambition and stopped investing. Ok, did you even look at annual accounts for several years that showed Middlesbrough were bleeding money and were crippled in debt to Barclays and other lenders. He was putting in millions a year to keep us afloat and cleared of all our debts.

What we've just seen in January is reality we have fallen short and protecting club from another potential money problem.

The players we've let go, loaned and sold were not exactly legends or first names on team sheet by any shadow of imagination.

I praise Tony in getting so much done in short time he is here. Would I have liked to see some attacking strength yes but we have to trust

Another potential money problem? We have spent £4 million!!! Its a total lack of ambition from the chairman again. Just like it has been for a decade.