oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window, Change of formation and this seasons failures.

So Gibson lacks ambition and stopped investing. Ok, did you even look at annual accounts for several years that showed Middlesbrough were bleeding money and were crippled in debt to Barclays and other lenders. He was putting in millions a year to keep us afloat and cleared of all our debts.

What we've just seen in January is reality we have fallen short and protecting club from another potential money problem.

The players we've let go, loaned and sold were not exactly legends or first names on team sheet by any shadow of imagination.

I praise Tony in getting so much done in short time he is here. Would I have liked to see some attacking strength yes but we have to trust

Another potential money problem? We have spent £4 million!!! Its a total lack of ambition from the chairman again. Just like it has been for a decade.

Instead of spouting on about the lack of ambition how about you take a look at the accounts and see that the club has been running at a loss over the past decade? I'd understand your point of view if at any moment we had made a profit, but we haven't.

We lost £32m in 2016, £9m in 2015, £20m in 2014, £14m in 2013, £13.5m in 2012, £18.7m in 2011, etc.

I suggest you have a read of this - http://swissramble.blogspot.co.uk/2015/05/middlesbrough-take-me-to-river.html and then question Steve Gibson's ambition

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe if he had shown some ambition we wouldn't have run at a loss for so long. I also see that you have conveniently left out the recent £150-160M windfall we have just received.

And maybe I am not understanding the "impact of player sales" table on that link but shouldn't the profit we made on players reduce the total loss instead of increase it?

Getting back to football..

I think with the activity in the jan transfer window, pulis is reverting to his 451 formation he played with West Brom earlier in the season.

Randolph

Shotten ayala Gibson friend

Traore leadbitter besic howson downing

Assombalonga

With the potential of downing coming inside and harrison playing wide.

Quite similar players to what he had at West Brom too.

Maybe if he had shown some ambition we wouldn't have run at a loss for so long. I also see that you have conveniently left out the recent £150-160M windfall we have just received.

I didn't leave anything out... The accounts for 2017 don't get posted till the end of the season. If you checked them you'd know that.

When I say left out, I don't mean that they are available. I simply mean that if you take the huge cash windfall we have just received it would massively outweigh the previous losses.

Let me ask you this then, do you think that a little more ambition during those years would have given us a better chance of making a profit due to being a top flight club?

I will offer Mike Ashley and Newcastle United as an example.

Wages, sign on fees,agent fees, wasted wages.

Fact of matter he give it ago and didn't pay off.

The players that left will have been on much more than the players brought in so in fact he has saved a fortune on wages.

I wouldn't say he has given it a go this season. If I was marking him on ambition this season, taking into account the £4 million net spend, it would have to be a 5/10.

I think with the activity in the jan transfer window, pulis is reverting to his 451 formation he played with West Brom earlier in the season.

Randolph

Shotten ayala  Gibson friend

Assombalonga

God I hope not. That's one sad, uninspiring team right there.

Randolph

Shotten ayala  Gibson friend

Assombalonga

God I hope not. That's one sad, uninspiring team right there.

It's certainly not my choice either. But given our lack of options and pulis's recent history... I think it's the most likely.

@TLH - do you think our tickets are expensive, by any chance? I can’t quite tell from the tone of your posts whether you consider our ticket pricing policy to be fair?

Excellent value for money.

Good to hear.

And can I ask how you feel about Steve Gibson’s stewardship of the club? Particularly in the last decade?

@TLH - do you think our tickets are expensive, by any chance? I can’t quite tell from the tone of your posts whether you consider our ticket pricing policy to be fair?

Good to hear.

And can I ask how you feel about Steve Gibson’s stewardship of the club? Particularly in the last decade?

Wildly ambitious.

Good to hear.

Wildly ambitious.

Could you illustrate similar sized clubs, with a similar sized budget that have demonstrated more ambition in the past decade, please?