oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window, Change of formation and this seasons failures.

@TLH - do you think our tickets are expensive, by any chance? I can’t quite tell from the tone of your posts whether you consider our ticket pricing policy to be fair?

Excellent value for money.

Good to hear.

And can I ask how you feel about Steve Gibson’s stewardship of the club? Particularly in the last decade?

Wildly ambitious.

Could you illustrate similar sized clubs, with a similar sized budget that have demonstrated more ambition in the past decade, please?

It would take too long to list them all. Don't even get me started on smaller sized clubs!

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Could you illustrate similar sized clubs, with a similar sized budget that have demonstrated more ambition in the past decade, please?

It would take too long to list them all. Don't even get me started on smaller sized clubs!

I'm sure I read a post earlier containing a message suitable for this... oh yeah:

I see you do not offer a counter argument to the above points which tells me all I need to know.

I'm sure I read a post earlier containing a message suitable for this... oh yeah:

I see you do not offer a counter argument to the above points which tells me all I need to know.

Burnley, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Brighton, Stoke, Huddersfield, Southampton, Swansea, West Brom, Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham, Norwich, QPR, Reading and Hull are all similar or smaller clubs that have shown more ambition than us in the past decade.

Sure there will be more that I have missed out.

Hope that helps you understand a little more.

God forbid he banks the huge sums of PL money to ensure we retain our stability. The obvious course of action was to set all the ticket prices to £5 and spunk the rest of it on a right-footed left-winger who's a natural right-winger.

What stability?  We're turning over players, managers and staff at quite a rate.  If you mean being stuck in the Championship then I suppose that's certainly possible but I'm not sure that's the kind of stability Gibson would be looking for.  

I don't know about setting the ticket prices at £5 but let's consider that we spent £4m plus wages on a player who played 185 mins of football for us and then we let him go for nothing because we couldn't sell him and we didn't want him here.  We spent the best part of £45m on Assombalonga, Fletcher, Braithwaite, Gestede and Bamford.  Two of them have already been shipped out, I reckon another one of those will be gone in the summer and what do we have to show for it?  We lost money on Rhodes, a player that the head coach at the time didn't want no matter how often people say he signed off on the transfer.  This club burns through money and then as Mr Hobo states charges some fairly high ticket prices.  So if you're honestly asking me what I'd prefer then I'd prefer cheaper ticket prices for everyone and a bit more control over our spending.

Do you want to talk about the £150 million worth of debt he's wrote off or shall we just leave it there and accept you're a troll/WUM?

(I'm hoping for your sake you're a troll/WUM)

I cant say i agree with you unfortunately, i have to agree with Hobo on this one! (1st time for everything)

The money involved at the moment is ridiculous and an ambitious chairman would be making the most of the situation, if he was serious enough about smashing the league then he would be making most of this window, instead hes recouped money because he doesnt believe we are good enough to go up.

Talking about his past is irrelevant because even though the club was running at a loss and he was pumping money in each month, his assets were worth miles more because we were a stabilized premier league club.

He stopped pumping the money in when we became unstable and were looking at dropping out of the league.

Gibson has done wonderful things for the club, but im not going to not point blame at the current situation because of past history.

As a club and the fans its all about whats happening at present and it doesnt take an idiot to understand that the club is making the same mistakes time and time again

Correct correct correct. He is living off past reputation and has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for far too long. He has slowly but surely gone from being a fan first and foremost to a businessman. 

If he is going to continue in this way then stop talking nonsense and reduce ticket prices. There is enough money in the game already without taking the proverbial pee out of loyal supporters.

And humpty if you are done with acting like a child I am still waiting for your points about this £150 million.

The point is obviously that the club spent 150 million more than it had and Gibson took that hit. If he hadn't done that we could easily have been down the Blackpool, Blackburn, Sunderland, Hull street.

Gibson has made huge mistakes and this season is the same mistake as last season, it was obvious our recruitment team werent good enough last season and we didnt address it and trusted them again in the summer....now look where we are!

They seem to be a lot of people pointing out that out recruitment team ain’t up to the job and then complaining that Gibson/pulis didn’t use them this window.

Maybe it not lack of ambition but waiting to sort the recruitment team out before spending(wasting) more money on players they recommend.

I cant say i agree with you unfortunately, i have to agree with Hobo on this one! (1st time for everything)

The money involved at the moment is ridiculous and an ambitious chairman would be making the most of the situation, if he was serious enough about smashing the league then he would be making most of this window, instead hes recouped money because he doesnt believe we are good enough to go up.

Talking about his past is irrelevant because even though the club was running at a loss and he was pumping money in each month, his assets were worth miles more because we were a stabilized premier league club.

He stopped pumping the money in when we became unstable and were looking at dropping out of the league.

Gibson has done wonderful things for the club, but im not going to not point blame at the current situation because of past history.

As a club and the fans its all about whats happening at present and it doesnt take an idiot to understand that the club is making the same mistakes time and time again

Correct correct correct. He is living off past reputation and has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for far too long. He has slowly but surely gone from being a fan first and foremost to a businessman. 

If he is going to continue in this way then stop talking nonsense and reduce ticket prices. There is enough money in the game already without taking the proverbial pee out of loyal supporters.

And humpty if you are done with acting like a child I am still waiting for your points about this £150 million.

The point is obviously that the club spent 150 million more than it had and Gibson took that hit. If he hadn't done that we could easily have been down the Blackpool, Blackburn, Sunderland, Hull street.

Gibson has made huge mistakes and this season is the same mistake as last season, it was obvious our recruitment team werent good enough last season and we didnt address it and trusted them again in the summer....now look where we are!

They seem to be a lot of people pointing out that out recruitment team ain’t up to the job and then complaining that Gibson/pulis didn’t use them this window.

Maybe it not lack of ambition but waiting to sort the recruitment team out before spending(wasting) more money on players they recommend.

Is this the same recruitment team that were crucified for signing Adeline Because they’d bypassed Karanka as he had no say in transfers. You know the Karanka that wanted him at forest aswell. Or are the conspiracy theorists saying it’s a huge coincidence him turning up there

Of course Karanka wanted Guedioura and signed off on it. He'd been after him for years. Doesn't make it any more of a signing made just to appease the manager after a truly awful transfer window. I can't imagine Karanka was cheering when he signed him after the players we'd missed out on.

Of course Karanka wanted Guedioura and signed off on it. He'd been after him for years. Doesn't make it any more of a signing made just to appease the manager after a truly awful transfer window. I can't imagine Karanka was cheering when he signed him after the players we'd missed out on.

I’m not sure that was the feeling at the time and it was used as a stick to beat the recruitment team with

I mean I'll just run through a few certain losses we're going to be making here:

Guedioura 4 million 12 months on write off

Fabio 3 million 18 months into a 2 year contract (???) write off

Barragan 3 million 18 months ago he'll have 12 months left if he returns probably write off

Fischer we took a nearly 2 million hit on, potentially similar loss to Braithwaite

So on the one hand we have had a low net spend in the past year and money has been made available it looks to me like in transfer fees alone we're writing off close to 15 million pounds I mean it's just a crazy way to run a football club right now. I said yesterday how Bausor's still in that job after the last 2 years of transfer business I have no idea I accept Monk/Karanka's failures absolutely but the trend in silly financial decisions cuts across Victor Orta, the summer restructure and now 3 managers that I feel like Bausor is underappreciated in it all.

Look I get this window from Pulis' point of view he was never going to build a full squad in January he's supplemented it with a couple of additions in key areas and will no doubt try his best with it and have himself a presumably handsome transfer kitty in the summer I have no problem with that but I don't want the spin to come out that we're somehow belt tightening as a reason I mean any club writing off 15 million in transfer fees has snapped the belt off the buckle at this point. Just let's all the journo's and the club be honest we've acted like any financially carefree club would with a new manager in January we've cut our losses on previous managers players brought in a couple of loans for 6 months and we'll build a new shiny squad in the summer with a large budget. I just hate the idea we're a well run club and somehow so special when we've acted just like the Chinese billionaire did at Villa when he cut losses on a ton of players because Bruce didn't want them etc, proof will be how much NET spend Pulis will get in the summer I'd imagine he'll be demanding 20-30 for all the talk of not wanting to spend Steve's money he was known at Palace, West Bram and Stoke for pushing for better budgets we'll see.

I mean I'll just run through a few certain losses we're going to be making here:

Guedioura 4 million 12 months on write off

Fabio 3 million 18 months into a 2 year contract (???) write off

Barragan 3 million 18 months ago he'll have 12 months left if he returns probably write off

Fischer we look a nearly 2 million hit on, potentially similar loss to Braithwaite

So on the one hand we have had a low net spend in the past year and money has been made available it looks to me like in transfer fees alone we're writing off close to 15 million pounds I mean it's just a crazy way to run a football club right now. I said yesterday how Bausor's still in that job after the last 2 years of transfer business I have no idea I accept Monk/Karanka's failures absolutely but the trend in silly financial decisions cuts across Victor Orta, the summer restructure and now 3 managers that I feel like Bausor is underappreciated in it all.

Look I get this window from Pulis' point of view he was never going to build a full squad in January he's supplemented it with a couple of additions in key areas and will no doubt try his best with it and have himself a presumably handsome transfer kitty in the summer I have no problem with that but I don't want the spin to come out that we're somehow belt tightening as a reason I mean any club writing off 15 million in transfer fees has snapped the belt off the buckle at this point. Just let's all the journo's and the club be honest we've acted like any financially carefree club would with a new manager in January we've cut our losses on previous managers players brought in a couple of loans for 6 months and we'll build a new shiny squad in the summer with a large budget. I just hate the idea we're a well run club and somehow so special when we've acted just like the Chinese billionaire did at Villa when he cut losses on a ton of players because Bruce didn't want them etc, proof will be how much NET spend Pulis will get in the summer I'd imagine he'll be demanding 20-30 for all the talk of not wanting to spend Steve's money he was known at Palace, West Bram and Stoke for pushing for better budgets we'll see.

Apart from guedioura the rest are guesses

What about the million plus we made on forshaw or the money we made on de roon or the money we made on Christie

We made a 4 million profit on Bernardo. But that doesn't excuse the bad buys though, although Guerdioura is currently the only one we are definatly making a big loss on.

We made a 4 million profit on Bernardo. But that doesn't excuse the bad buys though, although Guerdioura is currently the only one we are definatly making a big loss on.

I’m not saying it’s an excuse. But it’s only the losses that get mentioned. Your always going to win some and lose some what matters long term is how much you are up or down. I’d love to know if we are up or down over the last 12 months

Who cares how much money is made? You buy players to get results on the pitch. How have some of those names done in regards to that?

Who cares how much money is made ?? Everyone at the club I’d think

I’m not saying it’s an excuse. But it’s only the losses that get mentioned.  Your always going to win some and lose some  what matters long term is how much you are up or down.  I’d love to know if we are up or down over the last 12 months

No, what matters is the results we get.  Yayyy we made a profit on de Roon but oh dear we got relegated because he wasn't that good in the first place.  Yayyy we made a profit on Bernardo but oh dear we got relegated because he wasn't that good in the first place and so on.