oneBoro Forum

Transfer Window, Change of formation and this seasons failures.

Could you illustrate similar sized clubs, with a similar sized budget that have demonstrated more ambition in the past decade, please?

It would take too long to list them all. Don't even get me started on smaller sized clubs!

I'm sure I read a post earlier containing a message suitable for this... oh yeah:

I see you do not offer a counter argument to the above points which tells me all I need to know.

Burnley, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford, Palace, Brighton, Stoke, Huddersfield, Southampton, Swansea, West Brom, Wolves, Cardiff, Villa, Fulham, Norwich, QPR, Reading and Hull are all similar or smaller clubs that have shown more ambition than us in the past decade.

Sure there will be more that I have missed out.

Hope that helps you understand a little more.

I started writing out a long, well researched response to prove that very few if any of those side can be fairly said to have shown more ambition than us in the past decade. But then I realised I have better things to do with my life than bother arguing with someone who is inherently negative and pessimistic.

So I am going outside to play in the flowers and to enjoy my life while I still have it. If you want this to be a sign that you win, then please, be my guest.

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure that's the case. There were 5 games between Guedioura's arrival and Karanka's departure. He was cup tied for one of them, and came on as a sub in each of the others, on 3 occasions getting over 30 minutes on the pitch. It seems that Karanka was trying to get him upto speed, rather than 'not picking him'.

Regardless, I do think he was a player that Karanka liked, but wasn't crying out for last January, and it did smack of the recruitment team trying to appease him.

He was the only midfielder who didn't start a game over that period.  In the final game at Stoke he got less time than he had in the previous games.  This was the game when Leadbitter looked like an old man trying to play football because he was that off the pace.  Maybe you're right and he would have started picking him all the time and maybe he'd have started picking Bamford and Fischer regularly as well but I don't believe that's how it would have played out.  It's weird for me to be defending Karanka but as far as I'm concerned he got screwed in the transfer window.  He made it clear the type of players he wanted and we bought something completely different.

And I didn't say clearly once, well except that time just there.

I agree with almost everything you say there, mate. It is fairly obvious that Guedioura was the scouting team's answer to a question that wasn't really being asked.

I was just pointing out in general that the fact that Karanka has signed him again isn't as weird as many people are making it out to be.

So you don’t think there is any chance that Karanka actually thought he could do a job in the premier league

He probably did, but with Clayton, Leadbitter, De Roon and Forshaw all here, we didn't need him. What we did need was a winger. But that's an old grave that I don't think need raking up.

Looking at Free Agents, one name stands out... Josué - Attacking Mid recently released by Ozmanlispor, formerly at Porto and various loans across Europe. 27 years-old...

Oh wait... He's only 5'8" ;)

EDIT: And a broken leg... Scrap that...

It was scrapped at 5"8

Looking at Free Agents, one name stands out... Josué - Attacking Mid recently released by Ozmanlispor, formerly at Porto and various loans across Europe. 27 years-old...

Oh wait... He's only 5'8" ;)

EDIT: And a broken leg... Scrap that...

It was scrapped at 5"8

Does being an inch shorter than our two new signings rule him out. I’m only saying this cos the broken leg is obviously no hindrance

So our squad at present is:

-Randolph, Dimi, Meijas

-Shotton, Cranie, Ayala, Gibson, Fry, Friend, Fabio

-Howson, Clayton, Leadbitter, Besic, Baker

-Traore, Harrison, Downing, Johnson

-Assombalonga, Gestede, Bamford

That seems short on numbers and quality in the creative areas so any injuries there will have a huge impact on us. At the end of the season Dimi, Meijas, Fabio, Besic, Baker and Harrison will either be out of contract or their loans expiring so we're going to have a skeleton of a squad in the Summer but, I'd assume at least, plenty of saved budget to strengthen the squad.

It won't be a problem finding a backup keeper, and we have Ripley coming back. Likewise it probably won't be a problem finding a suitable partner for Howson and I suspect Harrison will stay on if he proves anything unless he goes crazy and attracts PRem interest and we stay down. The summer is about bringing better players in than we already have - something that we have largely failed to do for quite a while.

I cant say i agree with you unfortunately, i have to agree with Hobo on this one! (1st time for everything)

The money involved at the moment is ridiculous and an ambitious chairman would be making the most of the situation, if he was serious enough about smashing the league then he would be making most of this window, instead hes recouped money because he doesnt believe we are good enough to go up.

Talking about his past is irrelevant because even though the club was running at a loss and he was pumping money in each month, his assets were worth miles more because we were a stabilized premier league club.

He stopped pumping the money in when we became unstable and were looking at dropping out of the league.

Gibson has done wonderful things for the club, but im not going to not point blame at the current situation because of past history.

As a club and the fans its all about whats happening at present and it doesnt take an idiot to understand that the club is making the same mistakes time and time again

Correct correct correct. He is living off past reputation and has not shown anywhere near enough ambition for far too long. He has slowly but surely gone from being a fan first and foremost to a businessman. 

If he is going to continue in this way then stop talking nonsense and reduce ticket prices. There is enough money in the game already without taking the proverbial pee out of loyal supporters.

And humpty if you are done with acting like a child I am still waiting for your points about this £150 million.

The point is obviously that the club spent 150 million more than it had and Gibson took that hit. If he hadn't done that we could easily have been down the Blackpool, Blackburn, Sunderland, Hull street.

Gibson has made huge mistakes and this season is the same mistake as last season, it was obvious our recruitment team werent good enough last season and we didnt address it and trusted them again in the summer....now look where we are!

They seem to be a lot of people pointing out that out recruitment team ain’t up to the job and then complaining that Gibson/pulis didn’t use them this window.

Maybe it not lack of ambition but waiting to sort the recruitment team out before spending(wasting) more money on players they recommend.

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/69m---debt-gratitude-boro-3726231

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/sport/boro-14m-loss-steve-gibson-6883231

https://www.gazettelive.co.uk/incoming/interest-middlesbrough-inevitable-steve-gibsons-12501428

Some people want their heads looking at...

I don't think anyone is saying that Gibson hasn't made mistakes, but to question his intentions is frankly ludicrous. Fans are all desperate for short term success, but spending all your money at once is not a guarantee of it.

The club needs to be able to run itself sustainably, and we need to watch out for rules like FFP. I'd prefer to be able to maintain a promotion push for the next 5 seasons than have one shot at it and need to dial back costs afterwards.

Pulis says in his press conference that Braithwaite and Christie wanted away.

Doesn't sound like either were forced out.

No surprises. Neither have been consistently in the starting 11 under Pulis, Braithwaite has a world cup in summer that he wants to be in contention for and I think Christie knew he didn't fit under big Tone.

Christie went from potential player of the season to dropped and can't get a look in, I'd want out too, especially with how he moved from derby for struggling there too. not surprised. sad though I was a big fan.

Christie went from potential player of the season to dropped and can't get a look in, I'd want out too, especially with how he moved from derby for struggling there too. not surprised. sad though I was a big fan.

His assists and contributions could be a big contribution to Fulham's play-off hopes... at least I have hem in an accy to finish Top 6...

His assists and contributions could be a big contribution to Fulham's play-off hopes... at least I have hem in an accy to finish Top 6...

As could his defensive woes. Let's hope for that :P

Do Fulham play with a back 3 and wing-backs? Or is it still 4 at the back? If it's the former, Fulham was a better match for him than we ever were.

4 at the back, but their CBs & DMs are always covering, which allowed Fredericks he freedom to go forward. I thinknoart of the reason Christie seemed lacking in defence was down to it coinciding with our midfield and central defensive frailties; he'll be able to play purely to his strengths at Fulham.