oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich City (a) 0-1

Do we change anything?

I'd consider an extra man in the box. I don't know who I'd pick between Bamford or Britt though. I'd be tempted to see Bamford alongside Gestede because Britt still does not look sharp and hasn't since TP came in and Bamford has basically spent too much time outside the box for a player who we have known to score goals as a poacher.

Do any new signings go straight in?

Tough one. I think Leadbitter probably needs dropping but would that mean Clayton or Besic? I'd prefer Clayton but I'd prefer Besic over Leadbitter too.

Britt or Rudy?

If it's a choice between the two, Rudy.

What now for Baker?

No idea. Maybe now Fletcher and Braithwaite have gone, we'll see more bench appearances for him but he's one of the only players who hasn't been given an opportunity under Pulis too. I'm incredibly surprised that Chelsea allowed him to stay or that he didn't push to leave.

Are there any really obvious puns I've missed?

I really hope this one is intentional. ^^

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Haven't we got Baker for 2 years? Hopefully there's some get out clause.

It was only a year in the end, with the option to add a second.

If it was anything like the last game against Norwich they'll be defending deep, think it's a game for a Rudy shaped battering ram.

One of the plus sides of Braithwaite and Fletcher departing is Bamford can be assured of more game time and maybe a prolonged run in the side.

Great matchday thread but I do hope that drawing blanks is left at home like the last couple of away games as I am going to this one

Praying for a win as much to avoid the attentions of colleagues in the aftermath (They haven't let me forget they beat us at our place yet!)

3-1 win for the mighty reds with Gestede , Bamford and Ayala notching for us

If it was anything like the last game against Norwich they'll be defending deep, think it's a game for a Rudy shaped battering ram.

One of the plus sides of Braithwaite and Fletcher departing is Bamford can be assured of more game time and maybe a prolonged run in the side.

I doubt very much that Norwich on their own ground will go into this game trying to defend deep and invite trouble, probably the opposite.

Great opening thread Tom, I enjoyed that.

Rudy for me, he is much better at holding the ball up. No other changes is my guess, Pulis does not like them and I doubt if the new lads are eithet match fit or have done enough formation training to start this one.

We still look an unbalanced team so I will say our defence will save us and we can claw a 0/0

Like it Tom!

----------------Randolph------------------

Shotton---Gibson---Ayala---Friend

Traore-Howson-Clayton-Downing

------------Gestede----Britt--------------

I'd go for this team too^ maybe with leadbitter instead of clayton though. I think leadbitter had a decent game v Shef wed. Better than clayton when he came on.

Hopefully our barren spell only exists at home and we can get 2 or 3 here.

I'd probably start Britt. The only way he's going to get a few goals and back into form is by playing. Gestede has done well but misses far too many chances.

Other than that, I'd go for the normal team, it's not like we're playing badly.

I'd probably start Britt. The only way he's going to get a few goals and back into form is by playing. Gestede has done well but misses far too many chances.

I understand the sentiment but I still don't see how we improve with him in the team right now.

I understand the sentiment but I still don't see how we improve with him in the team right now.

Not sure why Gestede is getting so much praise atm. He has 1 goal this season (1 goal every 646 mins) and his better performances have been from coming off the bench. 

Even with Britts recent sh#te form hes still hitting a goal every 200 mins. 

Britt starts every time for me, with Gestede a excellent impact sub.

Gestede can hold the ball up and bring others into play, Britt can't. For sure he's not someone you rely on to finish off chances more than either of our other strikers. But if you can't get up the pitch to begin with then what's the point in having a finisher?

I think in a Pulis team, you need someone like a Gestede. If that means playing him alongside Britt or Bamford then so be it, I could live with that. But when you're camped in your own half, Britt is offering us very little right now. Better individual forward than Gestede, certainly a better goalscorer but you could have the best players in the world not do well in a team and set-up that doesn't suit them.

That all being said, I do hope that TP has decided who he's sticking his faith in for the rest of the season. If we are going to stick with 4-2-3-1 then we need to make our minds up about who stays up front. I think that should be Gestede but if it's going to be Britt then he should be starting every game he's available for.

Gestede can hold the ball up and bring others into play, Britt can't. For sure he's not someone you rely on to finish off chances more than either of our other strikers. But if you can't get up the pitch to begin with then what's the point in having a finisher?

I think in a Pulis team, you need someone like a Gestede. If that means playing him alongside Britt or Bamford then so be it, I could live with that. But when you're camped in your own half, Britt is offering us very little right now. Better individual forward than Gestede, certainly a better goalscorer but you could have the best players in the world not do well in a team and set-up that doesn't suit them.

That all being said, I do hope that TP has decided who he's sticking his faith in for the rest of the season. If we are going to stick with 4-2-3-1 then we need to make our minds up about who stays up front. I think that should be Gestede but if it's going to be Britt then he should be starting every game he's available for.

I’m stuck as to who I’d pick if we can get balls in behind the defence I’d pick Britt every time. And he’s definitely a better finisher. But if all your doing is playing balls to them with there back to goal it has to be gestede

I’m stuck as to who I’d pick if we can get balls in behind the defence I’d pick Britt every time.  And he’s definitely a better finisher.  But if all your doing is playing balls to them with there back to goal it has to be gestede

Essentially this.  Whoever we pick we have to play to their strengths though.  We need to improve in this aspect of our play.

Definitely agree that we need to pick one as our main striker and stick with them, it's not good for their confidence if they know they're out of the team if they don't score...

Gestede fits the target man role a lot better and has previously had a 20 goal season, albeit a few years ago.

Britt is scoring goals THIS season, is better at stretching opposition and running in behind, as well as having the most headed goals in the division currently.