oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich City (a) 0-1

When watching Britt play he looks disillusioned, watching him earlier in the season he was not only scoring but he was hard to knock off the ball, and was chasing everything down, not so much now and if a player hasn't got that  commitment and hunger then he's always going to struggle to get his form back. Britt may not be Pulis's type of forward, but on the other hand, Pulis's style of play may not be to Britt's liking, in which case we've got a  problem.

No we dont, no obligation for Pulis to play Britt and certainly no reason why he couldnt sell him or trade to get someone else.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, he's not that good really.

To be fair, I kind of he agree. He reminds me a little of Andy Cole - very limited player, but grabs a considerable amount of goals. There's a reason you pay a fortune for goal scorers at any level of the game.

I mentioned in the transfer thread about a Boro singer in the late 80s/early 90s my dad used to sell insurance too. He was getting stick every week from the stands about the runs he was making and the manner of his game. The reality was, he was doing exactly what his manager wanted, and openly admitted that he wasn't comfortable with the role he'd been asked to play - but the second he tried to do what he/the fans wanted, he got hauled off the pitch.

A players confidence is shattered when they're asked to play out of their natural style / comfort zone simply because they know they're not being as effective as they could be. Watch Britt when he's off the ball now compared to earlier in the season - the difference is evident. Aye, there's been one or two unlucky moments for him - but they're moments. The role he's been asked to do in our overall shape has changed considerably, and it's not a role which plays to his strengths.

You're talking like he's been asked to play left back, his role hasn't really changed that much.

Maybe his head has gone down after Monk was sacked, after all he was pretty much guaranteed to start every game regardless of how he was playing.

I watched him and Bamford closely in the Bolton game and neither broke sweat which a few people mentioned on here afterwards. I thought the pair of them needed their heads looking at when they had a new manager sat in the stands at a time when you'd normally want to impress.

Eventually some of these players need to man up a bit, Christie and Braithwaite threw the towel in rather than fight for a place. Maybe the same is happening with Britt.

You could argue it's maybe Pulis's fault for not giving him a cuddle every day but at some point the players have to take a bit of responsibility.

Christie wasn't even given a chance really... Shotton was slotted in at RB from day one and our joint top assister just dropped straight off the bat.

Braithwaite, like Britt, was asked to play a role he wasn't suited too and admitted as much in his interview when he signed for Bordeaux. He'd previously said how much he loved being here, but when Pulis came he knew he wouldn't be utilised to his strengths and abilities so had to leave with the World Cup in mind.

Bamford was awful, I agree - the difference being he has been all season. He's shown little/nothing to suggest he's deserving of being in the side, let alone a focal point. Britt, on the other hand, has single handed scores just shy of 1/3 of our entire league goal haul for he season.

Take the nuance out of it and make it 'he plays up too of left back' all you want, but the reality is there. We've got rid of our some of our most productive players in front of goal and have left a striker who's not suited to what the manager wants, with neither Tony or Britt seemingly willing to budge. Both need to adapt and find a way of working together, otherwise we'll achieve the sum total of bugger all this season.

When watching Britt play he looks disillusioned, watching him earlier in the season he was not only scoring but he was hard to knock off the ball, and was chasing everything down, not so much now and if a player hasn't got that  commitment and hunger then he's always going to struggle to get his form back. Britt may not be Pulis's type of forward, but on the other hand, Pulis's style of play may not be to Britt's liking, in which case we've got a  problem.

No we dont, no obligation for Pulis to play Britt and certainly no reason why he couldnt sell him or trade to get someone else.

Nobody said Pulis has an obligation to play him, but given Gestede looks like being banned for 3 games that leaves us slightly short on the forward front, and how's Pulis going to sell or trade him in February. If Pulis's style of play doesn't suit Britt, then yeh we have a problem.

I mentioned in the transfer thread about a Boro singer in the late 80s/early 90s my dad used to sell insurance too. He was getting stick every week from the stands about the runs he was making and the manner of his game. The reality was, he was doing exactly what his manager wanted, and openly admitted that he wasn't comfortable with the role he'd been asked to play - but the second he tried to do what he/the fans wanted, he got hauled off the pitch.

A players confidence is shattered when they're asked to play out of their natural style / comfort zone simply because they know they're not being as effective as they could be. Watch Britt when he's off the ball now compared to earlier in the season - the difference is evident. Aye, there's been one or two unlucky moments for him - but they're moments. The role he's been asked to do in our overall shape has changed considerably, and it's not a role which plays to his strengths.

Exactly

Christie wasn't even given a chance really... Shotton was slotted in at RB from day one and our joint top assister just dropped straight off the bat.

Braithwaite, like Britt, was asked to play a role he wasn't suited too and admitted as much in his interview when he signed for Bordeaux. He'd previously said how much he loved being here, but when Pulis came he knew he wouldn't be utilised to his strengths and abilities so had to leave with the World Cup in mind.

Bamford was awful, I agree - the difference being he has been all season. He's shown little/nothing to suggest he's deserving of being in the side, let alone a focal point. Britt, on the other hand, has single handed scores just shy of 1/3 of our entire league goal haul for he season.

Take the nuance out of it and make it 'he plays up too of left back' all you want, but the reality is there. We've got rid of our some of our most productive players in front of goal and have left a striker who's not suited to what the manager wants, with neither Tony or Britt seemingly willing to budge. Both need to adapt and find a way of working together, otherwise we'll achieve the sum total of bugger all this season.

I can half understand Braithwaite wanting to leave with the world cup on the horizon but I've got no respect for Christie. Yeah he's lost his place but rather than work on his limitations and fighting for his place he's thrown the towel in after 6 months here, actually he's thrown the towel in after about a month of Pulis being here.

Going back to Britt, he's been poor lately and his work rate has dropped which there's no excuses for. If it's a battle of wits between him and Pulis like you seem to be suggesting then there'll only be one winner and that isn't Britt.

I can half understand Braithwaite wanting to leave with the world cup on the horizon but I've got no respect for Christie. Yeah he's lost his place but rather than work on his limitations and fighting for his place he's thrown the towel in after 6 months here.

Going back to Britt, he's been poor lately and his work rate has dropped which there's no excuses for. If it's a battle of wits between him and Pulis like you seem to be suggesting then there'll only be one winner and that isn't Britt.

If Britt's being asked to play in a role that his uncomfortable with or can't adapt to, and this results in him not producing his best, then battle of wits has nothing to do with it.

I can half understand Braithwaite wanting to leave with the world cup on the horizon but I've got no respect for Christie. Yeah he's lost his place but rather than work on his limitations and fighting for his place he's thrown the towel in after 6 months here.

If Britt's being asked to play in a role that his uncomfortable with or can't adapt to, and this results in him not producing his best, then battle of wits has nothing to do with it.

What is he bring asked to do differently?

Can someone be specific and explain it to me.

@Duvel - I mentioned earlier; watch his movement when he's off-the-ball and the positions he takes up compared to earlier in the season. He seems to be constantly playing in his head to try and fulfil what's been asked of him as oppose to playing on instinct.

You're right about who'll win if it does come down to a battle of wits. But it's the club that loses if that becomes the case. Both Pulis and Britt need to adapt and meet each other somewhere where there's a contented median, because that's the only hope we have of actually building something worthwhile this season. Rudy isn't going to get the goals we need - neither is Paddy. It's pretty much Assombalonga or nothing.

@Duvel - I mentioned earlier; watch his movement when he's off-the-ball and the positions he takes up compared to earlier in the season. He seems to be constantly playing in his head to try and fulfil what's been asked of him as oppose to playing on instinct.

You're right about who'll win if it does come down to a battle of wits. But it's the club that loses if that becomes the case. Both Pulis and Britt need to adapt and meet each other somewhere where there's a contented median, because that's the only hope we have of actually building something worthwhile this season. Rudy isn't going to get the goals we need - neither is Paddy. It's pretty much Assombalonga or nothing.

So it's his movement off the ball which is different? I'm not trying to be clever I just don't really understand the difference to a few months ago.

The Britt that I've saw since the start of the season has a pretty poor first touch which means he isn't great at holding the ball up and bringing others into play. His movement off the ball also isn't that great, compare him to Bamford in terms of movement and he's light years behind him.

For a lone striker you need to be good with your back to goal or be quick with the ability to run in behind defenders and stretch teams. Britt for me can't really do either very well.

I think his strength is being able to find a yard in the box and his instinctive finishing is good. He'd probably thrive playing in a 442 but the reality is very few teams play that way.

The problem for me is he's just not really suited to playing as a lone striker, he's obviously not happy at the moment but it may be that he's frustrated with himself.

I don't really see it as being a case of him being forced to do anything drastically different to what he did under Monk he's just a limited footballer which shows when he's not hitting the back of the net. It looks worse at the moment as well because he's bang out of form.

Under Monk he generally had a dedicated No. 10 behind him supporting him, meaning his lack of hold up play wasn't as much a problem. Under Pulis, Downing in the Attacking Mid role plays a far more reserved version of the No.10 - operating just ahead of the CMs, leaving Britt far more isolated and unable to link up with a support as much. He also received that previously from the likes of Braithwaite and Downing on the flanks cutting inside and linking up from there.

He has 12 goals this season from playing as a lone striker with advanced support, so he certainly can give a goal return up top as a lone striker. For a Pulis system though, he's certainly not the traditional style Target Man that TP favours. In the same way you wouldn't have dreamed of asking Romario/Owen/Messi/Solskjaer to play a traditional Target Man role, Assombalonga just hasn't got the skill set to play it either.

Having the three 'behind the striker' roles a bit more withdrawn means that the striker is automatically more isolated. We've seen countless comments on here about that over recent games. With a Crouch up top, that's alright; knock on for a speedster like Traore to run on to, or hold up the ball till there's support or a foul. In order to incorporate our biggest goals threat, we can't play that way though.

Let me be clear that I'm not solely putting this at TP's door. The Ass needs to be more adaptable too. I don't actually see either as being adaptable enough to make it work, but I can live in hope...

When I watched Britt in the first few games of the season he had a smile on his face and really looked as though he was enjoying himself, now the smile is gone. It is always easy to blame the manager when your form dips, it gives the player an exscuse and Britt looks like someone now who doesn't believe in what he is doing or the support around him. Another caualty of the big clear out to come I think.

What is he bring asked to do differently?

Can someone be specific and explain it to me.

For a start Britt's not a big target man whose going to hold the ball up its not his game, putting the ball forward for him to run onto is more in fitting with Britt's game, a few examples the goal away at Barnsley when Downing put him through, against Forrest when he was put through and should have had a hat trick, the chance against Fulham. Some on here have stated they'd prefer Gestede instead of Britt in the starting 11 because he holds the ball up better.

I think it is a crying shame at this stage of the season that we have not had these issues sorted out and I will throw some blame at the players whom I am certain could be a better team on the pitch if they really wanted to!

Mentioned it before I take comfort in the fact that we seem to have escaped the problems that both Hull and Sunderland have endured because it could have been us.

I honestly believe that both Hull and Sunderland, if relegated will implode and their problems will have only just begun.

And lets be honest we are in no way ready for another season in the PL, famous phrases aside we simply are not