oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich City (a) 0-1

its clear whats up. the players had it on easy street with monk. it showed on the pitch. pulis now has them grafting and a few of them dont like it. they are a spilt camp again. pulis will sell all the players not playing for him and is 100% backed by gibson. another clear out next window is coming.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

If we don't make the play offs and I don't believe we will, then next season with Pulis in charge, Steve Gibson is going to have to brace himself for a sharp drop in season card sales, I can't see fans wanting to go and watch boring defensive football after 2 poor seasons.

its clear whats up. the players had it on easy street with monk. it showed on the pitch. pulis now has them grafting and a few of them dont like it. they are a spilt camp again. pulis will sell all the players not playing for him and is 100% backed by gibson. another clear out next window is coming.

I don't think it's as simple as that mate.  We have a group of players who have been asked to do certain things for half the season and are now being asked to do things differently.  Aside from the fact that it will take some time for them to adjust, some of them just won't be able to change in the required way.  Look at Christie as an example, there was no way on earth he'd be able to become the kind of right back that Pulis is looking for.  It's not about grafting, it's just about suitability.  I'm not sure I see any specific signs of a split camp either.

Drivel  :@

I don't think it's as simple as that mate.  We have a group of players who have been asked to do certain things for half the season and are now being asked to do things differently.  Aside from the fact that it will take some time for them to adjust, some of them just won't be able to change in the required way.  Look at Christie as an example, there was no way on earth he'd be able to become the kind of right back that Pulis is looking for.  It's not about grafting, it's just about suitability.  I'm not sure I see any specific signs of a split camp either.

I dont know mate, how many of the squad were buddies with christie and braithwaite? they both soon wanted out sharpish. pulis has give everyone a real shake up in terms of what he expects and upset a few imo. britt clearly has a problem with him, is britts mates in the squad all happy about him being benched for gestede? dont take much to create discord in a team.

Drivel  :@

thanks for the constructive criticism  :D :D

I dont know mate, how many of the squad were buddies with christie and braithwaite? they both soon wanted out sharpish. pulis has give everyone a real shake up in terms of what he expects and upset a few imo. britt clearly has a problem with him, is britts mates in the squad all happy about him being benched for gestede? dont take much to create discord in a team.

They wanted out because they knew they weren't going to play.  It's ok for Pulis to say they wanted to leave but that ignores the fact that the reason they wanted to leave is because he isn't going to be selecting them and everyone knows it.

Britt's 'problem' is simply that he isn't the type of striker Pulis is looking for and it must be obvious to a player when they find themselves in that kind of situation with a manager.  Britt's been struggling for a little while, before Pulis even had the job actually, so it's not as clear cut as Britt having a problem with him and going from there.  Most players don't like being dropped so anyone not in the team will have a problem with that anyway.  That's just how it goes.

Monk's last game against Sheff Wed fought back from 1 down to win 2-1, went behind against QPR twice and fought back to win, went behind against Brentford came back to get a draw, went behind  twice against Barnsley and forced a draw, if they're not working and grafting they lose those games above I've mentioned, so not as clear as your saying.

Feel more disillusioned this morning with the club than I have done all season, and I'm not sure why.

I admit I was one of the ones willing to give Monk a chance for the season, but he did underperform and to be honest I wasn't really complaining when he got sacked. I'm not sure on Pulis, for some reason I thought he would have had more of an impact than he has so far coming in, I guess a bit of naivety on my part.

Every Saturday morning I get a bit of optimism that this is the day where we're going to start a run and make the playoffs, but time's fading. Obviously its still very possible mathematically but we seem to have so many problems on the pitch at the moment, and worryingly the teams above us seem to be hitting/continuing good form.

For me we'll finish 8th this season, stumbling along with the odd good result. This summer really seems like it'll be a watershed moment for us. I expect another cull of the current crop of players, and we'll finally see Pulis' vision for us. I just worry we'll be starting next year with Gestede and Walters up front : )

I've got nothing against Pulis, and really hope it works out for him with us. So I'm going to try and be optimistic and see how things progress over next few months. I'm just struggling to shake this feeling that things will continue to get a lot worse before they get better.

+1 for probably all of that, especially the watershed in the summer. It feels as though we are probably going to go on another rebuild which we definitely need in midfield and attack.We are however going to be putting all our eggs in one basket as I think Pulis only signed an 18 month contract. If it doesn’t work out next season are we going to be ripping it up and starting all over again. The concerning aspect is that it does have the potential for another Strachan scenario if it doesn’t work out.

I'm going to go ahead and say it.. I honestly think we would be in a better place with Monk still in charge

Agreed. Not necessarily because of the quality of management, but because the continuity would've served us better and game-changing players like Assombalonga, Christie and Braithwaite at least turned up to some games.

Which results would have gone differently over the last few weeks do you think?  Maybe we beat Sheff Wed at home but I think we lose at Preston.  I see no reason why the games against Villa and Fulham would have turned out any different, same goes for QPR and yesterday.  By my reckoning we'd have one point fewer right now.

Continuity when you're continuing something that isn't really working doesn't get you anywhere.

I see where you're coming from mate, but that's under the assumption that there wouldn't have been any progress or further click of the squad between then and now under Monk. It was often one step forward, two steps back - but, for me at least, there were key elements that were beginning to click. Periodically, yes, but they were elements which could potentially turn a game.

We all knew we could be solid defensively. We had pretty much the same defence as we did under AK. What needed development was our build up play and work in the final third - which Monk (often failed) but tried to bring in - and we've now undercut that and gone straight back to square one.

I remember you posting a question along the lines of "would you be willing to give up entertainment value for results over a period of one with Pulis?" - to which you yourself responded "No." I don't see Pulis benefitting us in the long term. My own hope is that he's here for 18 months to steady the ship and help sort things out off the pitch so we can then have a foundation to build upon with a fresh, new approach which not only has genuine ambition, but a genuinely workable game plan and personnel system behind the scenes to get us there. Otherwise? I do fear for the quality of the future of the club.

I can't believe the club is appealing that red card. Clear as day. The challenges were somewhat different (given the height of the ball) but if they're appealing that, then they must feel Dale Stephens should have got his red card rescinded for his challenge on Ramirez. In both instances, the ball was initially won before the follow-through caught the player with studs showing. Both are clear red cards. More likely to get his ban extended than have it entirely rescinded.

Yeah this is a weird appeal because it's a red card all day every day, and you're right, if the FA can add an extra game to the ban for a frivolous appeal alone, which this seems to be.

Not to mention whatever they can add for the fact it was a stupid tackle.

pointless appeal. Who cares if hes out for 1,3 or 4 games. Play some kid from the reserves in the remaining games hes not available for. All our matches left are now no more than glorified friendly warm up games for next season.

I see where you're coming from mate, but that's under the assumption that there wouldn't have been any progress or further click of the squad between then and now under Monk. It was often one step forward, two steps back - but, for me at least, there were key elements that were beginning to click. Periodically, yes, but they were elements which could potentially turn a game.

We all knew we could be solid defensively. We had pretty much the same defence as we did under AK. What needed development was our build up play and work in the final third - which Monk (often failed) but tried to bring in - and we've now undercut that and gone straight back to square one.

I remember you posting a question along the lines of "would you be willing to give up entertainment value for results over a period of one with Pulis?" - to which you yourself responded "No." I don't see Pulis benefitting us in the long term. My own hope is that he's here for 18 months to steady the ship and help sort things out off the pitch so we can then have a foundation to build upon with a fresh, new approach which not only has genuine ambition, but a genuinely workable game plan and personnel system behind the scenes to get us there. Otherwise? I do fear for the quality of the future of the club.

I don't think anything would have been better for the 6 weeks or so that he hasn't been in charge if he'd was still in the job is all I was saying.  Longer term I have no idea really. It wasn't working properly with Monk but then it's not now either.

I didn't want Pulis for the simple fact that his football is dull as *** and I've had enough of that with Karanka.  I also don't believe that in the long term you can achieve a great deal playing like that so you're really only looking short term or relatively short term before you're changing things again.  Add in the fact that the squad wasn't exactly ideally suited to him and it just doesn't seem like the best move for us.

I don't think anything would have been better for the 6 weeks or so that he hasn't been in charge if he'd was still in the job is all I was saying.  Longer term I have no idea really. It wasn't working properly with Monk but then it's not now either.

I didn't want Pulis for the simple fact that his football is dull as *** and I've had enough of that with Karanka.  I also don't believe that in the long term you can achieve a great deal playing like that so you're really only looking short term or relatively short term before you're changing things again.  Add in the fact that the squad wasn't exactly ideally suited to him and it just doesn't seem like the best move for us.

Aye, what could/would have happened under Monk is all supposition to be fair. Completely in agreement with that second paragraph; that's the basis for my concerns.

Time will tell I suppose - but like you i doubt it's going to be an enjoyable period.

Totally agree with you, the Pulis appointment for me was like the equivalent of a January panic buy, I would have sooner kept Monk in charge for a little while longer and then  took our time appointing a manager. I feel we have appointed a footballing dinosaur, and Gibson in my opinion has got it wrong again.

Aye, what could/would have happened under Monk is all supposition to be fair. Completely in agreement with that second paragraph; that's the basis for my concerns.

Time will tell I suppose - but like you i doubt it's going to be an enjoyable period.

Yeah, I agree too. I was certainly sick of our previous brand of football.

Wolves have been pretty s***e for a number of seasons, but they've REALLY turned it around this year... so it is possible.

I've got a mate who is a Wolves fan, and he's loving it. (But that's no real surprise is it)!!