oneBoro Forum

Boro vs Norwich City (a) 0-1

Maybe Britt has had less service or a different type of service than before, it's not something that's been really obvious to me but I take the point that he would look better with a quality number 10 behind him.

I wouldn't argue with anyone that suggests we're more defence minded under Pulis which may mean less chances are created. Saying that I still don't see it being really obvious that his role has drastically changed, I don't think we're bombing high balls at him for 90 minutes under Pulis.

Maybe he's frustrated at the team being more cautious and controlled but if that's the case he needs to work hard and get his form and enthusiasm back. Let's face it if he ever got to the Premier league he'd have to cope with being in a team that creates very few chances because you dont get many at that level unless you play for a top 4 team.

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

TP is not going to adapt. Anyone who really thought that could be the case given a different set of players to start with was kidding themselves (there was plenty of talk at the time he was appointed that maybe he can start doing things we hope rather than what we expect). That includes anyone at the club.

And look, he's made a career out of doing it his way, just like I can see Karanka doing as he did here elsewhere. They aren't the only managers in football who put a philosophy first before the players. Monk didn't do the same despite being able to work with pretty much the best squad he could have hoped for in his first season. He tactically abandoned his plan within the first couple of months and in doing so showed how imbalanced the squad was towards different systems. Too many centre-mids/strikers, not enough wingers. He came here with a plan, it was very different and difficult to narrow down on paper to begin with but it was clear enough in the end. And he stopped doing it altogether. He got it wrong and did not give any promise of that changing.

My only concern about Pulis right now is the length of his contract. Yes, this squad doesn't suit him. And the transfer window didn't change that. But he said it himself, he didn't want to spend the available money in January and there are good reasons for that. But that means he gets one season to really give it a go. He will start next season in the same place as Monk, high expectations, undoubtedly a much more fitting squad and if it doesn't go to plan first time round, he'll also be gone before January 2019.

Yeah the length of contract concerns me as well, if he's been brought in to oversee a big change at the club both on and off the pitch is 18 months really long enough?

I don't know whether the short contract is for Pulis's benefit, for Gibson's or maybe it suits both of them.

I know lots of managers don't last long in jobs nowadays but refusing to buy in January and balance the squad suggests a long term vision, that doesn't really match up with giving a manager an 18 month contract.

Yeah the length of contract concerns me as well, if he's been brought in to oversee a big change at the club both on and off the pitch is 18 months really long enough?

I don't know whether the short contract is for Pulis's benefit, for Gibson's or maybe it suits both of them.

I know lots of managers don't last long in jobs nowadays but refusing to buy in January and balance the squad suggests a long term vision, that doesn't really match up with giving a manager an 18 month contract.

I don’t think the length of contract means anything

If he had a ten yr contract he could be gone tomorrow if he wanted to leave or Gibson wanted him gone ,since when has a contract stopped a manger moving on .it just costs someone money

I think he was appointed as more of a fire fighter than a man to make root and branch changes to the club. I’d be surprised if he was here in 18 months time.

Likely depends on next season - suspect if we get promotion he'll stay at least another year if not he's gone, but hopefully put some good foundations in place for a successor. 

Seems like a sensible length of contract to me

I think he was appointed as more of a fire fighter than a man to make root and branch changes to the club. I’d be surprised if he was here in 18 months time.

Dont know, when he talks it sounds like he want to stay here for 10 years and build a legacy.....

Dont know, when he talks it sounds like he want to stay here for 10 years and build a legacy.....

I have a feeling that he may be here after 18 months... perhaps not as a manager though...

Christie wasn't even given a chance really... Shotton was slotted in at RB from day one and our joint top assister just dropped straight off the bat.

Braithwaite, like Britt, was asked to play a role he wasn't suited too and admitted as much in his interview when he signed for Bordeaux. He'd previously said how much he loved being here, but when Pulis came he knew he wouldn't be utilised to his strengths and abilities so had to leave with the World Cup in mind.

Bamford was awful, I agree - the difference being he has been all season. He's shown little/nothing to suggest he's deserving of being in the side, let alone a focal point. Britt, on the other hand, has single handed scores just shy of 1/3 of our entire league goal haul for he season.

Take the nuance out of it and make it 'he plays up too of left back' all you want, but the reality is there. We've got rid of our some of our most productive players in front of goal and have left a striker who's not suited to what the manager wants, with neither Tony or Britt seemingly willing to budge. Both need to adapt and find a way of working together, otherwise we'll achieve the sum total of bugger all this season.

I can half understand Braithwaite wanting to leave with the world cup on the horizon but I've got no respect for Christie. Yeah he's lost his place but rather than work on his limitations and fighting for his place he's thrown the towel in after 6 months here.

Going back to Britt, he's been poor lately and his work rate has dropped which there's no excuses for. If it's a battle of wits between him and Pulis like you seem to be suggesting then there'll only be one winner and that isn't Britt.

If Britt's being asked to play in a role that his uncomfortable with or can't adapt to, and this results in him not producing his best, then battle of wits has nothing to do with it.

I'd have sent him on loan to Sunderland and kept Fletcher.

Christie wasn't even given a chance really... Shotton was slotted in at RB from day one and our joint top assister just dropped straight off the bat.

Braithwaite, like Britt, was asked to play a role he wasn't suited too and admitted as much in his interview when he signed for Bordeaux. He'd previously said how much he loved being here, but when Pulis came he knew he wouldn't be utilised to his strengths and abilities so had to leave with the World Cup in mind.

Bamford was awful, I agree - the difference being he has been all season. He's shown little/nothing to suggest he's deserving of being in the side, let alone a focal point. Britt, on the other hand, has single handed scores just shy of 1/3 of our entire league goal haul for he season.

Take the nuance out of it and make it 'he plays up too of left back' all you want, but the reality is there. We've got rid of our some of our most productive players in front of goal and have left a striker who's not suited to what the manager wants, with neither Tony or Britt seemingly willing to budge. Both need to adapt and find a way of working together, otherwise we'll achieve the sum total of bugger all this season.

I can half understand Braithwaite wanting to leave with the world cup on the horizon but I've got no respect for Christie. Yeah he's lost his place but rather than work on his limitations and fighting for his place he's thrown the towel in after 6 months here.

Going back to Britt, he's been poor lately and his work rate has dropped which there's no excuses for. If it's a battle of wits between him and Pulis like you seem to be suggesting then there'll only be one winner and that isn't Britt.

If Britt's being asked to play in a role that his uncomfortable with or can't adapt to, and this results in him not producing his best, then battle of wits has nothing to do with it.

Steady on

Send bamford aswell and we can play leadbitter up front

@Boro

#Boro have lodged an appeal against @RudyGestede's three-match suspension

➡️ http://bit.ly/2EMstDi

It is obviously going to be upped to 4, and I can't say I really care that much. His shocking finishing against Fulham and idiotic tackling against Norwich have done enough damage. Total liability... Britt should play for 90 mins with Bamford up much close to him as a second striker. Howson back in too.

@Boro

#Boro have lodged an appeal against @RudyGestede's three-match suspension

➡️ http://bit.ly/2EMstDi

It is obviously going to be upped to 4, and I can't say I really care that much. His shocking finishing against Fulham and idiotic tackling against Norwich have done enough damage. Total liability... Britt should play for 90 mins with Bamford up much close to him as a second striker. Howson back in too.

It doesn’t take much for us to give up on our players does it