oneBoro Forum

Boro V Reading 2-1 (Traore (2) Britt misses penalty)

Gestede hasn't been equally ineffective. He has been more effective than Britt since Pulis came in. Some of the things I mentioned were stretching it a bit, like the Howson goal and how he battled Steele for the ball for Braithwaite's goal in the cup. But other than that I think they're all events in which having Gestede on the pitch over Britt proved to be the right decision.

You can keep going on about the goals that Britt scored before Pulis took charge of the team but he's done nothing since he came in. Not like he hasn't had his chance to either. Absolutely no doubt that he needs to do more when he is on the pitch to even justify his place on it but I think he's going to struggle to do anything worthwhile under this manager as he just doesn't fit.

A big part of the problem is likely that Pulis doesn’t really know how to play the kind of football they suits a striker like Britt. And Bamford for that matter which could be why he is shoved out on the wing. Braithwaite also but he has been sent away and Pulis was looking at another physical player like Mitrovic.

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Gestede hasn't been equally ineffective. He has been more effective than Britt since Pulis came in. Some of the things I mentioned were stretching it a bit, like the Howson goal and how he battled Steele for the ball for Braithwaite's goal in the cup. But other than that I think they're all events in which having Gestede on the pitch over Britt proved to be the right decision.

You can keep going on about the goals that Britt scored before Pulis took charge of the team but he's done nothing since he came in. Not like he hasn't had his chance to either. Absolutely no doubt that he needs to do more when he is on the pitch to even justify his place on it but I think he's going to struggle to do anything worthwhile under this manager as he just doesn't fit.

A big part of the problem is likely that Pulis doesn’t really know how to play the kind of football they suits a striker like Britt. And Bamford for that matter which could be why he is shoved out on the wing. Braithwaite also but he has been sent away and Pulis was looking at another physical player like Mitrovic.

Precisely BD, he doesn't. He's playing the way he's always had teams play and Britt doesn't seem to fit the kind of striker he wants. We tried to bring in someone who Pulis undoubtedly sees as a better option to Gestede who can play that role but it fell apart because of the Fulham interest. So we're stuck with playing someone who isn't as good as we need but at least fits the bill of being the right kind of striker.

Precisely BD, he doesn't. He's playing the way he's always had teams play and Britt doesn't seem to fit the kind of striker he wants. We tried to bring in someone who Pulis undoubtedly sees as a better option to Gestede who can play that role but it fell apart because of the Fulham interest. So we're stuck with playing someone who isn't as good as we need but at least fits the bill of being the right kind of striker.

Some truth to all of that certainly but it doesn't alter the fact that Gestede is a donkey.

Making it even more baffling that a manager with Pulis’ experience can’t alter his tactics to suit the best players he has at his disposal.

Britt's body language when he's on the pitch is of a player who doesn't want to be here, don't think he'll need any pushing out the door in the summer.

If we did want to sell Britt, I wonder how much we could get for him. I can't imagine that it would be anywhere near £15M.

Britt's body language when he's on the pitch is of a player who doesn't want to be here, don't think he'll need any pushing out the door in the summer.

If we did want to sell Britt, I wonder how much we could get for him. I can't imagine that it would be anywhere near £15M.

Unless there is a relegated team with a scattergun transfer policy and more money than sense.

Surely we can’t be only ones, can we?

Unless there is a relegated team with a scattergun transfer policy and more money than sense.

Surely we can’t be only ones, can we?

LOL :D

Very good point Billy. Actually, how about Leeds? (I know they're not coming down) But isn't Orta there still.

Gestede is awful. We should be doing everything we can to get the most out of Britt, instead we are ploughing on with a player who has scored 4 goals in 37 appearances for us.

I agree with every word - its almost like Pullis is this God like manager and has come in with the attitude of - I like 6ft 6 strikers, you may have cost 15 mil and have scored more than the whole team combined but you've proved nowt to me!!!  So I will play the crap 6ft plus players I like who cant hit a cows backside with a banjo in until you show me what your worth - oh and by the way I will give you the last disjointed ten minutes of the occasional game after I've taken creative players off and you can prove it then!!

When I found out we were getting Pullis my stomach was in knots - who in their right mind thought he would be a good manager for us? 

To think I scoffed at bringing back Mowbray or McClaren - I've lost my mind I'm sure, I'm probably in a padded cell drugged up to the eyeballs and its all in my head while in reality Boro are still in the Prem and AK is pushing us for a European spot (and Alli Brownlee is still with us - at least he put a smile on my face )

Lets all just agree with you because you have a lot of anger and hate inside you. You made your point, hope your stomach gets better after our win.

He's right like Randy.  You need to let a little love in your heart mate  :heart:

Funny how you can be misjudged by the coldness of written words without tone and facial expression to back the words up. yes I'm not happy with things at the Boro and yes I express those thoughts  at times on here, but I hate no one, I am  rarely angry and am believe it or not laid back. However being a Boro fan does push all your buttons and lets be honest we are crap are't we?

Gestede is awful. We should be doing everything we can to get the most out of Britt, instead we are ploughing on with a player who has scored 4 goals in 37 appearances for us.

I agree with every word - its almost like Pullis is this God like manager and has come in with the attitude of - I like 6ft 6 strikers, you may have cost 15 mil and have scored more than the whole team combined but you've proved nowt to me!!!  So I will play the crap 6ft plus players I like who cant hit a cows backside with a banjo in until you show me what your worth - oh and by the way I will give you the last disjointed ten minutes of the occasional game after I've taken creative players off and you can prove it then!!

When I found out we were getting Pullis my stomach was in knots - who in their right mind thought he would be a good manager for us? 

To think I scoffed at bringing back Mowbray or McClaren - I've lost my mind I'm sure, I'm probably in a padded cell drugged up to the eyeballs and its all in my head while in reality Boro are still in the Prem and AK is pushing us for a European spot (and Alli Brownlee is still with us - at least he put a smile on my face )

Lets all just agree with you because you have a lot of anger and hate inside you. You made your point, hope your stomach gets better after our win.

He's right like Randy.  You need to let a little love in your heart mate  :heart:

Funny how you can be misjudged by the coldness of written words without tone and facial expression to back the words up. yes I'm not happy with things at the Boro and yes I express those thoughts  at times on here, but I hate no one, I am  rarely angry and am believe it or not laid back. However being a Boro fan does push all your buttons and lets be honest we are crap are't we?

We’re not great, but at least we shouldn’t spend next season worrying about relegation, so that’s nice. ;)

I can't really understand why there is suddenly talk of getting rid of Britt. He was doing fine until Pulis came along. Same player, different manager. Hasn't the penny dropped? Pulis will never get us back into the Prem in a month of Sundays. And in the meantime, we will be looking at unimaginative, unentertaining football with maybe a sniff of the playoffs at the most.

And frankly, I would rather be an entertaining Championship side than a dour, unentertaining Prem side.

I can't really understand why there is suddenly talk of getting rid of Britt. He was doing fine until Pulis came along. Same player, different manager. Hasn't the penny dropped? Pulis will never get us back into the Prem in a month of Sundays. And in the meantime, we will be looking at unimaginative, unentertaining football with maybe a sniff of the playoffs at the most.

And frankly, I would rather be an entertaining Championship side than a dour, unentertaining Prem side.

No, Britt's play had declined since before Pulis arrived.

Oddly enough i'm a somewhere in the middle. I like Britt and i like Gestede. The mistake we've made is making £50 million worth of signings over the summer and bringing in a manager who's playing style doesn't suit said recruitment.

We're essentially playing to the manager's strengths as opposed to the squad's strengths, which is a huge oversight. I always thought Pulis was pragmatic, he moulded what he had. This is false. My only surprise is that he didn't bring more players in during January to suit his prefered style.

We had quality footballers that are known to perform at this or international level and we've discarded them and their skill set for a direct approach. Whoever comes in after Pulis is either going to have to play direct football or we're starting from scratch. I'm starting to think the decision to bring in Pulis is going to be up there with Strachan.

Oddly enough i'm a somewhere in the middle. I like Britt and i like Gestede. The mistake we've made is making £50 million worth of signings over the summer and bringing in a manager who's playing style doesn't suit said recruitment.

We're essentially playing to the manager's strengths as opposed to the squad's strengths which is huge oversight. I always thought Pulis was pragmatic, he moulded what he had. This is false. My only surprise is that he didn't bring more players in during January to suit his prefered style.

We had quality footballers that are known to perform at this or international level and we've discarded them and their skills for a direct approach. Whoever comes in after Pulis is either going to have to play direct football or we're starting from scratch. I'm starting to think the decision to bring in Pulis is going to be up there with Strachan.

I mirrored your points in an earlier post and completely agree with you

We're essentially playing to the manager's strengths as opposed to the squad's strengths, which is a huge oversight. I always thought Pulis was pragmatic, he moulded what he had. This is false. My only surprise is that he didn't bring more players in during January to suit his prefered style.

We had quality footballers that are known to perform at this or international level and we've discarded them and their skill set for a direct approach. Whoever comes in after Pulis is either going to have to play direct football or we're starting from scratch. I'm starting to think the decision to bring in Pulis is going to be up there with Strachan.

Gestede does suit his style And if Britt was playing aswell as he could he could fit in aswell but he isn’t