oneBoro Forum

Boro V Reading 2-1 (Traore (2) Britt misses penalty)

9 points Monk last 7

10 points with Pulis

Oh dear.... the stats are not supporting the Pulis haters......

Why are we only looking at 7 games?

Monk managed us for 23 league games in total.  We scored 30 (1.3 pg) and conceded 23 (1.0 pg).  Pulis so far has managed us for 7 league games in total.  We have scored 8 (1.14 pg) and conceded 6 (0.86 pg).  Essentially what we gained from one we've lost from another but there's no way anyone can state there's been a significant change in our defensive record so far.  Maybe by the end of the season it will be but not just yet.

Monk in his 23 games gained 35 points (1.52 pg).  Pulis from his 7 games so far has 10 points (1.43 pg).  If we'd actually improved don't you think we'd have climbed the table?  We were 9th when Monk was sacked, we're 9th today.  We were 3 points outside the play offs when Monk was sacked, today we're 4 points outside the play offs. 

Yeah, take that Pulis haters!   :huh: :dodgy:

Clutching at straws a bit?

I dare say that CT probably got a higher grade than Duval in Statistics at GCSE...

Monk got an entire pre-season and a hell of a lot of money to spend. He then showed that he had absolutely no plan and no idea of how to take us forward. Pulis has had 7 games and decided not to throw good money after bad until he gets his head around the squad and figures out the best way forward with what we have. It might not be pretty but with Pulis, we will make progress in a coherent and logical way

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

9 points Monk last 7

10 points with Pulis

Monk managed us for 23 league games in total.  We scored 30 (1.3 pg) and conceded 23 (1.0 pg).  Pulis so far has managed us for 7 league games in total.  We have scored 8 (1.14 pg) and conceded 6 (0.86 pg).  Essentially what we gained from one we've lost from another but there's no way anyone can state there's been a significant change in our defensive record so far.  Maybe by the end of the season it will be but not just yet.

Monk in his 23 games gained 35 points (1.52 pg).  Pulis from his 7 games so far has 10 points (1.43 pg).  If we'd actually improved don't you think we'd have climbed the table?  We were 9th when Monk was sacked, we're 9th today.  We were 3 points outside the play offs when Monk was sacked, today we're 4 points outside the play offs. 

I dare say that CT probably got a higher grade than Duval in Statistics at GCSE...

give it another month or two and we might be looking at very different stats. but at the minute there is statistically very little difference. same players=same results.  

there are positives for both managers imo. i liked monk in some aspects, he make good subs and generally you could see he wanted us to play attacking football. the negative's are obvious, he didnt have a clue (tactically) at times and never knew his best 11.

pulis has us looking much more organised, we have improved by tightening up and making teams work to score, under monk we'd constantly give free goals to teams. that has stopped. But on the down side our already iffy attack has got even worse. we look to rigid/stiff to me. 

not enough quality though we should have scored a few in pretty much every game under pulis, thats without really looking like we are going to concede. unlike under monk when we were far to often one pass off at one on one against us.

we are closer to getting it right now than under monk. we will grind out wins and hopefully build up momentum for a play off push. take the wind of a good run into playoffs and i'd fancy us to win against the other contenders. we have plenty of experience in our team/squad to deal with that pressure were a few probably lack that.

9 points Monk last 7

10 points with Pulis

99 percent of all statistics only tell 49 percent of the story.

Monk got an entire pre-season and a hell of a lot of money to spend. He then showed that he had absolutely no plan and no idea of how to take us forward. Pulis has had 7 games and decided not to throw good money after bad until he gets his head around the squad and figures out the best way forward with what we have. It might not be pretty but with Pulis, we will make progress in a coherent and logical way

I don't think any of that has to do with the stats, the ones that apparently are not supporting the Pulis haters.  I'm all confused now, it's like you're changing the subject or something but why ever could that be :s

Geek-time but... any sample below 30 is not statistically powerful enough to give you any meaningful statistical conclusion, so unfortunately you’ll never be able to do that points per game stat comparison effectively due to monk’s short tenure. The number of games we’ve just lost 1-0 indicates why goals per game are a dodgy indicator, winning 3-0 is not much better than 1-0, but 1-0 is much better than 0-0.

So the stats are pretty meaningless at the moment. My opinion is 1) Monk was rubbish - the players didn’t have a clue, we had no formation and kept getting beaten by the same plan, 2) pulis has come in to steady the ship, not get promotion this year but scrap out the ineffective parts of the club (bye recruitment...), 3) pulis’ football is awful to watch, so we need some results or the fans will turn on him (if they have not already) - if we don’t go up next season i’d Expect Gibson to consider a slower switch to nicer football hence the short contract - needs must and it’s his wallet on the line.

Geek-time but... any sample below 30 is not statistically powerful enough to give you any meaningful statistical conclusion, so unfortunately you’ll never be able to do that points per game stat comparison effectively due to monk’s short tenure. The number of games we’ve just lost 1-0 indicates why goals per game are a dodgy indicator, winning 3-0 is not much better than 1-0, but 1-0 is much better than 0-0.

So the stats are pretty meaningless at the moment. My opinion is 1) Monk was rubbish - the players didn’t have a clue, we had no formation and kept getting beaten by the same plan, 2) pulis has come in to steady the ship, not get promotion this year but scrap out the ineffective parts of the club (bye recruitment...), 3) pulis’ football is awful to watch, so we need some results or the fans will turn on him (if they have not already) - if we don’t go up next season i’d Expect Gibson to consider a slower switch to nicer football hence the short contract - needs must and it’s his wallet on the line.

This is pretty much how I feel, the stat argument feels absolutely pointless when Pulis has had so little time in the job.

On the surface it looks like we defend a lot better, we're more organised with a better shape. We've sacrificed a bit going forward to make us more solid so it's hard to suggest we've made any overall improvement.

Whether Pulis is the right man or not time will tell, bringing Monk into the conversation is pointless. Monk made an absolute *** of things and although he wasn't solely responsible for the recruitment he played a large part in it. (He admitted that he'd been chasing Fletcher since his Leeds days) so he is partly to blame for the unbalanced squad we have today.

If Pulis fails it doesnt mean we were wrong to sack Monk, it means we just appointed the wrong replacement. That's why bringing Monk into a Pulis discussion is a waste of time.

I don't think Pulis will be judged until next season by Gibson and the majority of the fans, I've pretty much given up on this season already. I'm expecting a rebuild next summer and a big improvement after that, I think a lot of fans will live with negative football if we are winning games (they did under Karanka). The problem will be if we are putting in performances like Saturday and not winning games.

I'm not saying it's right that we've wrote another season off midway through it, I just think that's how Steve Gibson sees it.

I dont belive we will smash anything, but I do belive we will go up :)

will be a 3 straight wins now (making it 4 ith in a row counting the one against Reading)

will not look overly nice but we will score goals and win the games :)

I put up my old "I want to Belive" poster on the wall again.....

I don't think any of that has to do with the stats, the ones that apparently are not supporting the Pulis haters.  I'm all confused now, it's like you're changing the subject or something but why ever could that be :s

I think you will find that you were the one to change the subject. The discussion was about Monks last 7 games against Pulis as Pulis has only had 7 games. You will need to wait for Pulis to manage for 23 games to bring your points up. I look forward to seeing them when the 23 games are played.

Apart from when they back up what you personally want to believe apparently Duvel ;)

Apart from when they back up what you personally want to believe apparently Duvel ;)

Of course :)

We haven't been overly effective under either manager, at either end of the pitch. That's why we sit in the same position. A lot has changed in terms of the way we want to play without yet having a significant effect on results, probably because the squad doesn't match the way we now want to play. I imagine what you can get out of statistics proves that to be the case.

There are a few outlying individual differences of course, such as the rise of Shotton and Traore but then Monk never really used those 2 players anyway.