oneBoro Forum

Boro V Reading 2-1 (Traore (2) Britt misses penalty)

• Replies 446
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Geek-time but... any sample below 30 is not statistically powerful enough to give you any meaningful statistical conclusion, so unfortunately you’ll never be able to do that points per game stat comparison effectively due to monk’s short tenure. The number of games we’ve just lost 1-0 indicates why goals per game are a dodgy indicator, winning 3-0 is not much better than 1-0, but 1-0 is much better than 0-0.

So the stats are pretty meaningless at the moment. My opinion is 1) Monk was rubbish - the players didn’t have a clue, we had no formation and kept getting beaten by the same plan, 2) pulis has come in to steady the ship, not get promotion this year but scrap out the ineffective parts of the club (bye recruitment...), 3) pulis’ football is awful to watch, so we need some results or the fans will turn on him (if they have not already) - if we don’t go up next season i’d Expect Gibson to consider a slower switch to nicer football hence the short contract - needs must and it’s his wallet on the line.

Yeah that's correct so we shouldn't have sacked Monk when we did  ;)

I know there's not enough data to properly analyse it, which is why I initially didn't use any.  I simply said we haven't improved.  I think people are doing what often happens, which is that they didn't like the previous manager to they see improvements in the new one regardless of whether there really is or not.  We had the same with Monk earlier in the season.  I don't know how things will look come the end of the season, which is why I said 'so far' when talking about what we've done with Pulis to date.

Going back to the 'eye test', was what we saw this weekend really better than what we saw under Monk?  Sheff Wed?  Fulham?  The first half at Preston was worse than anything I've seen from us in a long time in my opinion.  We were better in the second half but we weren't good, we just weren't as bad as we had been.  Essentially I don't really see it and it's not because I was a fan of Monk because I wasn't.  Pulis is a better manager than Monk, there's little doubt about that in my mind but it doesn't therefore follow that he will definitely improve us.  I just don't think it works like that.

I think you will find that you were the one to change the subject. The discussion was about Monks last 7 games against Pulis as Pulis has only had 7 games. You will need to wait for Pulis to manage for 23 games to bring your points up. I look forward to seeing them when the 23 games are played.

The discussion wasn't about that.  The subject was about whether we'd improved or not.  Other people used Monk's last 7 games v Pulis' first 7 games and your comment was about the stats.  I gave you some more stats that showed something else and you then started talking about pre-season, money to spend and whatever else - nothing to do with stats.  All of that is valid stuff and I'm happy to discuss it but you can't say the stats show something and then start talking about everything but.

So there  :P

I think we improved. I actually like Pulisball, I never been much for the fancy attacking mumbo jumbo anyway. I loved Karanka too

I am swedish so I love the rigid form and that everyone plays to his strenght and for the teams best. Always been the swedish ways, introdcued to us by englishmen Houghton and Hodgson :)

So yes I actually like us better under Pulis than Monk even if its not exciting for most of you to watch its what I been brought up with, feels like coming home. And I am sure we will go up to PL if not this season then the next

The Danes probably have more problem with this as Denmark choosed the dutch way to play football ;) Historicaly Sweden done better though with the english mentality than they have with the dutch approach (but yes they will argue this) :-P

I guess the different with me is that I realy dont care about getting entertained. I want to see a team that fights and show attitude then I am happy.

Clutching at straws a bit?

I dare say that CT probably got a higher grade than Duval in Statistics at GCSE...

Monk got an entire pre-season and a hell of a lot of money to spend. He then showed that he had absolutely no plan and no idea of how to take us forward. Pulis has had 7 games and decided not to throw good money after bad until he gets his head around the squad and figures out the best way forward with what we have. It might not be pretty but with Pulis, we will make progress in a coherent and logical way

I don't think any of that has to do with the stats, the ones that apparently are not supporting the Pulis haters.  I'm all confused now, it's like you're changing the subject or something but why ever could that be :s

I think you will find that you were the one to change the subject. The discussion was about Monks last 7 games against Pulis as Pulis has only had 7 games. You will need to wait for Pulis to manage for 23 games to bring your points up. I look forward to seeing them when the 23 games are played.

If you only want to look at 7 games then wouldn't it be fairer to look at both managers first 7 games in charge. Monks first 7 league games gave 11 points and a 7-3 score column. That certainly doesn't help Pulis, but then you can argue all kinds of different things ie. strength of opposition etc. Fact is that on paper Pulis hasn't changed much since taking over, but he is doing a good job in making us more boring for the forseeable future.

I dare say that CT probably got a higher grade than Duval in Statistics at GCSE...

Monk got an entire pre-season and a hell of a lot of money to spend. He then showed that he had absolutely no plan and no idea of how to take us forward. Pulis has had 7 games and decided not to throw good money after bad until he gets his head around the squad and figures out the best way forward with what we have. It might not be pretty but with Pulis, we will make progress in a coherent and logical way

I don't think any of that has to do with the stats, the ones that apparently are not supporting the Pulis haters.  I'm all confused now, it's like you're changing the subject or something but why ever could that be :s

If you only want to look at 7 games then wouldn't it be fairer to look at both managers first 7 games in charge. Monks first 7 league games gave 11 points and a 7-3 score column. That certainly doesn't help Pulis, but then you can argue all kinds of different things ie. strength of opposition etc. Fact is that on paper Pulis hasn't changed much since taking over, but he is doing a good job in making us more boring for the forseeable future.

It's a completely pointless comparison whichever '7 games' we choose to use.

"but he is doing a good job in making us more boring for the forseeable future."

see what did I say up there? Spoken by a Dane.... They rather lose with 3-4 then win 1-0 :-P

Sorry. I should probably have been a bit more politically correct  :rolleyes:

Pulis is making us more boring?

BD you need to have a read through some of our match day threads from matches under monk because you seem to have forgotten how boring we where under monk

"but he is doing a good job in making us more boring for the forseeable future."

see what did I say up there? Spoken by a Dane.... They rather lose with 3-4 then win 1-0 :-P

You should have changed your allegiances to West Brom when Pulis was in charge for two years, you would have loved watching them lol

You should have changed your allegiances to West Brom when Pulis was in charge for two years, you would have loved watching them lol

one dont change teams.... But yes I did like them, and I liked Stoke too :)

Sorry. I should probably have been a bit more politically correct  :rolleyes:

Touché lols.....

one dont change teams.... But yes I did like them, and I liked Stoke too :)

I know Sweden isn't exactly the cradle of fun, but jesus christ  :P

It's a completely pointless comparison whichever '7 games' we choose to use.

Because Monk's record is better?

Because Monk had a pre season and new players for 50 millions :-P

Had we gone with Pulis from start and given him that we would had been smashing the league

:-P