oneBoro Forum

Tough at the top and tougher to get there?

Does anybody else think that we are mirroring Villa over the last couple of seasons? Get relegated with barely a whimper, bring in a young unproven coach and spend a fortune of the PL money to let him build a team, sack him halfway through the season and bring in a grizzled old warrior, sell off half the players you bought and start again. The only consolation is that after a shaky start, Villa look the business now.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else think that we are mirroring Villa over the last couple of seasons? Get relegated with barely a whimper, bring in a young unproven coach and spend a fortune of the PL money to let him build a team, sack him halfway through the season and bring in a grizzled old warrior, sell off half the players you bought and start again. The only consolation is that after a shaky start, Villa look the business now.

I think their circumstances were quite different to ours.

How does that transpire to games against top 6-10 and why do you think that will turn around all of a sudden?

Because Pulis is not naive like Monk :)

You will see on Saturday. We will win and then start the real season ;)

I watched the game against Fulham, if we play like that we will win 9 out 10 games against a top 6 team in this division. 

Its small margins but Pulis will bring us there, we will not gift the teams 1-2 goals per game and that will help us a lot.

You’re completely delusional.

We managed 1.52 points per game under Monk.

We are managing 1.43 games under TP.

At the same stage under Monk we were managing 1.57.

We have not improved.

The only thing better under Monk is the increased usd of Traore.

Anyone loving TP needs to wake up.

Teapot, Monk came in with a full pre season and got to pick his squad. TP came in and has had to trim and get rid of some let's just say disasters. To judge him on same number of games is unfair.

Do I think TP will save us from our season of disrepair that's another question. I also want to make it clear I don't love TP, but I do like a grafter and his honesty

Teapot, Monk came in with a full pre season and got to pick his squad. TP came in and has had to trim and get rid of some let's just say disasters. To judge him on same number of games is unfair.

Do I think TP will save us from our season of disrepair that's another question. I also want to make it clear I don't love TP, but I do like a grafter and his honesty

I think Pulis is a better manager than Monk, he hasn't had the results yet but I can see what he's trying to do. Saying that I don't think he's a managerial genius either and I think we'll come up short this season. 

Looking at the fixtures I expect us to put a run of results together after the Cardiff game, whether we get into the playoffs will depend on our results against the teams around us which I'm not overly confident of doing.

Well a nice 2-0 win for Cardiff last night cementing their hopes a bit stronger for the rest of the season and hey they have us to look forward to on Saturday.

Only bonus was Derby losing last night but it also means that from now on we have to match or better their results.................hmmmm

How does that transpire to games against top 6-10 and why do you think that will turn around all of a sudden?

Because Pulis is not naive like Monk :)

You will see on Saturday. We will win and then start the real season ;)

I watched the game against Fulham, if we play like that we will win 9 out 10 games against a top 6 team in this division. 

Its small margins but Pulis will bring us there, we will not gift the teams 1-2 goals per game and that will help us a lot.

You’re completely delusional.

We managed 1.52 points per game under Monk.

We are managing 1.43 games under TP.

At the same stage under Monk we were managing 1.57.

We have not improved.

The only thing better under Monk is the increased usd of Traore.

Anyone loving TP needs to wake up.

Well I prefer Karanka and Pulis style of football over Monks

Direct football always been my cup of tea, why I started to follow english football at all. If I had wanted better football as most of you call it I would gone for any other league

So this is like coming home

Well a nice 2-0 win for Cardiff last night cementing their hopes a bit stronger for the rest of the season and hey they have us to look forward to on Saturday.

Only bonus was Derby losing last night but it also means that from now on we have to match or better their results.................hmmmm

I'm past the point of seeing Cardiff, Villa, and Derby as direct competition now.. they're too far gone. 

Fulham, Bristol, Sheff U, and PNE are our direct rivals and the ones I'll be hoping drop points.

I'm past the point of seeing Cardiff, Villa, and Derby as direct competition now.. they're too far gone. 

Fulham, Bristol, Sheff U, and PNE are our direct rivals and the ones I'll be hoping drop points.

I am in agreement with you on this so basically 2 spots to fight for between possibly 10 teams including Boro.

Dropping points from now on could be very costly :-/

I am in agreement with you on this so basically 2 spots to fight for between possibly 10 teams including Boro.

Dropping points from now on could be very costly :-/

Absolutely vital that we hit form now and capitalise on our "easy" run of upcoming games. I could see Bristol and/or Fulham dropping out of the top 6 over the next month or so. Next 6 games make or break the season for us in my opinion, simply have to string some wins together. 

Bristol next 6: Leeds (a), Fulham (h), Cardiff (a), Sheff Wed (h), PNE (a), Burton (a)

Fulham next 6: Villa (h), Bristol (a), Wolves (h), Derby (a), Sheff U (h), PNE (a)

Boro next 6: Cardiff (a), Hull (h), Sunderland (a), Leeds (h), Birmingham (a), Barnsley (h)

OK, who on here posts on the Gazette website as "MohammadIbrar"? Stole my earlier comment word for word  :@

Well, we know we're looking for someone who is deranged if they are copying your comments.  Sadly that doesn't really narrow down the list of suspects on here  :-/

A lot can happen between now and the end of the season, but as much as I'd want to believe, we are too far gone for top 6 right now.

Our strikers are just not cutting it and that's why we will struggle. Look back at the whole of this season, with both Monk and Pulis and our strikers have cost us games.

Britt v Forest 2-1 L

Britt v Norwich 0-1 L

Whole team v Villa 0-1 L

Whole team v Sheff Wed 0-0 D

Britt/ Gestede v Fulham 0-1 L

Gestede red v Norwich 0-1 L

That's 18 points where in my opinion we either missed chances or did stupid decisions.

That's not even taking into account the defensive errors in some of the earlier games. What I think is overlooked with Pulis is that we are better defensively in the sense we don't make those mistakes anymore. We are organised.

But as seen with the strikers, whilst the defence does their job, the attackers have failed to be clinical when it matters. For the money spent, that is a worry.

And that will he the story of our season, missed chances in games which we "should have won".

Being only 4 points behind 6th we can easily still make the playoffs but it’d take an obvious upsurge in form and consistency.

What’s really annoying me this year is that I don’t think the quality in the league (Wolves aside) is that great at all. Put a few wins together and we’re in the playoffs. Unfortunately our consistency is still crap and our performances are equally poor tbh. Every week I’m hoping it’s the week that things start to turn around, and it’ll be the same this Sat before Cardiff. Here’s hoping eh.