oneBoro Forum

Boro v Cardiff (A) 0-1

Britt's penalty miss was complete garbage. He deserves a bit of stick for it.

Just like Benteke copped it for grabbing the ball and missing that peno for Palace. Benteke got stick publicly on MoTD.

Not really.

Benteke took the ball off the designated penalty taker who had already scored one that day, and 3 or 4 Palace players tried to get the ball back off him. Hodgson also said it was unacceptable.

In Britt's case, we have no idea what the protocol was, Leadbitter didn't seem to put up much of a fight, and Pulis didn't bring up the penalty in his post match interview.

OK. Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, the way you are comparing the two incidents doesn't really prove anything either way does it? (Genuine question).

Grant might have been annoyed inside, but not made a scene on the pitch. Pulis might have been as annoyed as Hodgson, but not said anything about it in a post match interview.

Also, the fact that there was more of a fracas surrounding it at Palace, made it more likely that it would be brought up in a post match interview. (That, and the fact that it was a PL game)!

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

•  

•  

•  

•  

Top Posters In This Topic

Just like Benteke copped it for grabbing the ball and missing that peno for Palace. Benteke got stick publicly on MoTD.

Not really.

Benteke took the ball off the designated penalty taker who had already scored one that day, and 3 or 4 Palace players tried to get the ball back off him. Hodgson also said it was unacceptable.

In Britt's case, we have no idea what the protocol was, Leadbitter didn't seem to put up much of a fight, and Pulis didn't bring up the penalty in his post match interview.

Totally agree, I don't have any complaints about what happened. The players made a decision on the pitch and we missed, it happens.

FWIW - I don't have TOO much problem with what happened on the pitch. Tom is right, in that there wasn't too much of a fight about it.

(Although at the time I questioned why Britt was taking it, and that was even before he missed it. I didn't fancy Britt to score it, as much as I would Leadbitter).

However, having grabbed the ball, Britt needs to do better than he did. AT LEAST hit the target, even if the keeper makes a good save.

His penalty was SO bad, that it's not too surprising if he gets a bit of stick.

Anyway I'd rather have a player take a penalty that he feels confident in than a player who doesn't really want to take it. I have no problem with our top scorer making it clear that he wants to take it. If he had scored lots would say how brave it was considering his barren spell. But he missed and penalties are missed every week. Even the normally safe bet Leadbitter missed his last spot kick. Higuin missed a penalty earlier this week. It just shows that Britt hasn't gone into complete hiding.

Anyway I think we need to try Harrison from the start tomorrow. He can't be any less effective than Bamford out there and he does look like a proper winger with quick feet albeit it was only at a poor level. We haven't really got anything to lose by trying someone else out there.

Not really.

Totally agree, I don't have any complaints about what happened. The players made a decision on the pitch and we missed, it happens.

FWIW - I don't have TOO much problem with what happened on the pitch. Tom is right, in that there wasn't too much of a fight about it.

(Although at the time I questioned why Britt was taking it, and that was even before he missed it. I didn't fancy Britt to score it, as much as I would Leadbitter).

However, having grabbed the ball, Britt needs to do better than he did. AT LEAST hit the target, even if the keeper makes a good save.

His penalty was SO bad, that it's not too surprising if he gets a bit of stick.

Yeah in hindsight Grant should have taken it but you still expect your top scorer to put it away so I can understand Leadbitter letting him have it.

Like you say the decision seems worse because the penalty was so bad.

Not really.

OK. Well I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

However, the way you are comparing the two incidents doesn't really prove anything either way does it? (Genuine question).

Grant might have been annoyed inside, but not made a scene on the pitch. Pulis might have been as annoyed as Hodgson, but not said anything about it in a post match interview.

Also, the fact that there was more of a fracas surrounding it at Palace, made it more likely that it would be brought up in a post match interview. (That, and the fact that it was a PL game)!

I think if Hodgson says 'Milivojevic is the penalty taker', and then Benteke grabs the ball, that is very different to if Pulis says 'just sort it out when it happens' and Britt grabs it. I'm not saying that is the case with Boro, but like I said, the reactions were very different to what happened with Palace and that might explain why. 

Taking a bad penalty when you shouldn't even be taking it is a much worse offence than taking a bad penalty when you should be.

He didn't look remotely confident stepping up.

It's like he immediately thought he had to take it without even considering whether or not he was confident in finishing it.

It's the leaning back that bugs me, isn't that one of the first things you get told not to do as a penalty taker? Lean into the ball? Otherwise that happens.

I can empathise with Britt on levels not many can.. I myself missed a penalty (actually two) at the Riverside whilst representing St Patrick's RC Comprehensive School where I blazed it over the bar. For years after my dad referred to me as 'row Z' and I haven't taken a penalty since (excluding 5 a-side).

What I'm getting at is Britt needs an arm round him and not my dad being a big old meanie

I can empathise with Britt on levels not many can..  I myself missed a penalty (actually two) at the Riverside whilst representing St Patrick's RC Comprehensive School where I blazed it over the bar. For years after my dad referred to me as 'row Z' and I haven't taken a penalty since (excluding 5 a-side).

What I'm getting at is Britt needs an arm round him and not my dad being a big old meanie

I still remember the level of shame you brought on the school

I can empathise with Britt on levels not many can..  I myself missed a penalty (actually two) at the Riverside whilst representing St Patrick's RC Comprehensive School where I blazed it over the bar. For years after my dad referred to me as 'row Z' and I haven't taken a penalty since (excluding 5 a-side).

Hahaha, Row Z. One day I will change your nick on here :P

I had my Riverside penalties on VHS but my brother taped over it!

Hahaha, Row Z. One day I will change your nick on here :P

Just do it like that.

I can only apologise.. Mr Benfield never looked me in the eye again after that moment